Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Done with MC.

Re: What's it like to take your kids?

Having kids develops a certain natural selflessness in (most) people. You truly work for someone else's happiness in life and feel a great feeling of enrichment for doing so.
    Experiencing the park through your children bolsters this natural instinct and will have you enjoying the park like you never have before. Especially when the Disney magic kicks in..
    We waited too long to take my son to the park, mostly because we were afraid he would be scared or the rides (boy was I wrong). The first time we stood in line to enter the park it was foggy and cool morning. We were dressed for what would be a warm day but we were a bit cold at the moment. All at once the sun burned through haze and Jiminy Cricket came over the audio system in Sunshine plaza singing When you wish upon a star. The sun warmed us as the music swept us away to a completely new mood.

That moment I saw a look on his 10 year old face that I'd never seen before. As he looked all around and the line started ushering us towards the gates, it finally came to me what he was experiencing; he was in complete and total awe.
    This is the kind of thing you can only experience with children.

• Minion

This is why I really liked being a CM in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. Especially in Fantasyland.
    Some attractions were a little scary for kids...Snow White, e.g.
    But overall, it was awesome to see the looks on the face as they'd emerge from Small World, Matterhorn, Peter Pan, etc.

Seeing your children's faces when they see it all for the first time is the greatest feeling. My son's joy became my joy.
    That being said, taking children is also very taxing. Some of my friends are just now having babies and saying how much they want to take their little one to DLR. I feel that as long as you realize that these trips are no longer for you and are pretty much out of your control, they can be magical visits. But going in with the expectation that it's all going to be wonderment and happy faces is just setting yourself up for a bad day. All of the memories I've kept have been of my son's best moments but he had more than one tantrum in the parks all the times we went. I choose to forget those

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    You change stinking diapers. Get puked on. And carry more stuff.
    This is what I always see in the park so I didn't want to bring our foster babies.

Guess what we may be doing in a couple months?

but it we're going to go. Not just for the baby.

It was pure magic. It sounds so sappy but it's so true. On this last trip my aaaaalmost 3 year old (deliberately timed 3 weeks before bday for free entry!) met her favorite princess, Rapunzel*. It was absolute magic. She was so overwhelmed with emotion that she had tears in her eyes. It is so different to see the characters through the eyes of a child who BELIEVES in them.

My 4.5 year old was finally tall enough to go on the "cool" rides like RSR and Star Tours. We must have gone on Star Tours 6 times. I almost died of elation on RSR when we got to the race track part and he threw his arms up in the air and hooted in glee. My boy decided he was fearless and he went on every ride he was tall enough for, and it was even Ghost Galaxy time and that was SCARY!

We had gone the year before that, and there were magical moments then, too. The trips were close enough together that they kind of jumble together in my memory. From the first trip we have the most darling picture of my boy hugging Merida with his eyes squeezed tightly shut and this huge grin. He was so in the moment.

I LOVE Disney, for me, and always have. But taking my kids opened an entirely new dimension of appreciation of things I would never have been interested in for myself (like princess meets). It's funny what the kids are interested in, too. I was surprised how excited my son was to meet the princesses, just like my daughter.

It's all magic. I wish we could go every year, but it's not local to us and it's quite the expense. Seeing it through their eyes is amazing and new.

* Usurped by Elsa, but not relevant at that time

• Selfie Expert

I can't wait to take my little girl!! The first few trips are really for her dad and I, she'll be too young to really know what's going on or remember it at all... but even those I'm dying for. That being said, when she hits the age of knowing who characters are and being able to enjoy rides... I can't imagine it gets much more magical than that!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

My friend and I were at the park a couple of weeks ago and she commented on how dragged out and unhappy so many of the parents seemed to be. Like they were just going through the motions.
    I think it's important when people take their kids that they make the most of it, and it's nice to see the people on here taking on that attitude.

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

It's really amazing! I don't have any kids, but when last time I went to DLR with my nieces and nephew. The only reason I even got to go was because my sister asked if I would help her and her husband with the kids. But who could say no to a free trip to Disneyland? It was so awesome to see the look on their faces when they saw the castle after seeing it in videos and pictures for about a year. My nieces would sing along to songs in the rides, and it was the most adorable thing. I have a video somewhere of it! They were all pretty young. The oldest was four years old and the other ones were between 2-3 years old. I had a blast!

• Chief Troublemaker

It's just magical! From the moment you walk through the tunnels to Main St and hear their first "ooooh! looky!" to the moment you carry them, dozing on your shoulder, back to the car/hotel at the end of the day, you will experience magic and joy you just didn't know existed. You will be exhausted, but it will be wonderful!

My favorite memories? DS2 thinking it was my voice coming from Snow White's wishing well (both sons' 'love-a-byes' were mostly Disney songs). DS1's 'visit' with Mickey, during which he burst into (happy) tears saying 'I love you, MY Mickey Mouse!'.

Just remember to take your visit at their pace instead of yours, keep everyone hydrated & bring snacks. Plenty of bathroom breaks, if they're potty-trained. If potty training is relatively recent & they're in 'real' underpants, consider 'pull-ups' for the day (or at least bring a couple). Since they will be so excited, accidents may happen & it's yucky carrying around wet undies, even in a ziplock bag. Much easier to be able to toss wet pull-ups & put on a dry pair. Rest often, there is so much to see that little kids sometimes have fun just sitting and looking at things.

Sometimes I think I'd like to hire myself out as 'an extra pair of hands' specifically for parents taking their child to DL for the first time just so I can experience it again. Are you listening, Kelly?
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

First of all, thank you all for sharing.
    I have two girls, one in college and one in 3rd grade. We are AP holders and each visit to the Park is like going for the first time. I realized this year I've traveled back in time with my 3rd grader. We are doing things that I did with my older daughter and it's a feeling I can't express, but it fills me up with so much happiness. In two weeks I will be taking my 9 year old nephew. It will be his first visit and I can't wait!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Sometimes I think I'd like to hire myself out as 'an extra pair of hands' specifically for parents taking their child to DL for the first time just so I can experience it again. Are you listening, Kelly?
    Ha! You're hired! See you in September?

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    It's just magical! From the moment you walk through the tunnels to Main St and hear their first "ooooh! looky!" to the moment you carry them, dozing on your shoulder, back to the car/hotel at the end of the day, you will experience magic and joy you just didn't know existed. You will be exhausted, but it will be wonderful!

My favorite memories? DS2 thinking it was my voice coming from Snow White's wishing well (both sons' 'love-a-byes' were mostly Disney songs). DS1's 'visit' with Mickey, during which he burst into (happy) tears saying 'I love you, MY Mickey Mouse!'.

Just remember to take your visit at their pace instead of yours, keep everyone hydrated & bring snacks. Plenty of bathroom breaks, if they're potty-trained. If potty training is relatively recent & they're in 'real' underpants, consider 'pull-ups' for the day (or at least bring a couple). Since they will be so excited, accidents may happen & it's yucky carrying around wet undies, even in a ziplock bag. Much easier to be able to toss wet pull-ups & put on a dry pair. Rest often, there is so much to see that little kids sometimes have fun just sitting and looking at things.

I was hired out to help my sister with her kids when she went to DLR! Completely draining but totally worth every minute.

• The "zip" in your doo dah

I've always loved Disneyland. It literally turns me into a "kid" every time I go. But, when my son was born with heart and immune system problems I didn't think I would ever be able to share that experience with him. However, after 2 open heart surgeries we were finally able to take him with us. What a joy! We had to sanitize everything he touched - but the look in his eyes totally made it worth it. I am so grateful that I was able to share this experience with him. We go back and watch the videos of our trip and re-live it over and over again. It's one of the true highlights of the seventeen years we had with him.

• i believe in faeries.

Quote Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
    ... It is so different to see the characters through the eyes of a child who BELIEVES in them.
    this.

when my daughter was 4, we took her to the bibbidi bobbidi boutique for her princess makeover.. it hit me emotionally and i didn't think it would. after, she bumped into the fairy godmother by the wishing well, who made a big fuss over my 'mini cinderella,' telling people walking by that she made her dress. my daughter truly, truly believed that she had met Cinderella's real Fairy Godmother. and cue more misty-eyes from me (p.s. fireworks/fantasmic/parades... you get the wide eyed awe and excitement. and i usually cry).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MonteJ View Post
    I've always loved Disneyland. It literally turns me into a "kid" every time I go. But, when my son was born with heart and immune system problems I didn't think I would ever be able to share that experience with him. However, after 2 open heart surgeries we were finally able to take him with us. What a joy! We had to sanitize everything he touched - but the look in his eyes totally made it worth it. I am so grateful that I was able to share this experience with him. We go back and watch the videos of our trip and re-live it over and over again. It's one of the true highlights of the seventeen years we had with him.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm so glad you had that time to share with him and have those videos to relive it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast