Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's it like to take your kids?

Wanting to have children sometime in the next 10 years, I want to hear from you experienced parents out there:

What's it like?
    To see the look on their faces when they walk in, during their first ride, when they see Fantasmic, anything

I can't wait to experience this myself. I'm probably going to cry when I do. :')

Share your stories please

• Under that tree again!

Re: What's it like to take your kids?

You change stinking diapers. Get puked on. And carry more stuff.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    You change stinking diapers. Get puked on. And carry more stuff.
    I meant the nice ​stories, which I'm sure people have as well

• -

It's great. You get to experience everything again for the first time through their eyes.

This last Saturday, my four-year-old was finally tall enough to ride Thunder Mountain during the passholder preview. He rode it twice and loved it and asked to go again before we left, but it was already closed for the night.

He was also finally tall enough for Silly Simphony Swings, something that he used to stare in wonder at everytime we passed by. He was so excited to finally be past the height marker on the ride. I rode tandem with him and realized during the ride that he was very quiet so I wasn't sure if he was enjoying himself or scared. Just before the ride stopped and they lowered the swings to the ground, he yelled out, "this is awesome!" at the top of his lungs.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Honestly, there is no better feeling then taking your child for the first time to Dland. Remembering the feeling of happiness you had as a kid and then being able to give your child those same feelings. Nothing...NOTHING compares to it.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It's great. You get to experience everything again for the first time through their eyes.
    Seconded. Though, you may discover that they won't necessarily like the things you think they'll like.

My son is 4 1/2. We first took him when he was almost three. That was a little too young still, I think. He wanted to go on everything he was tall enough for, but as the day wore on, I could tell he was pretty scared of the dark rides.

That initial fear is still sort of with him. He loves Star Wars, and counted the days until he was tall enough for Star Tours. He told me, "That was AWESOME!" after we rode, but now is hesitant to ride again. He was similarly scared by Radiator Springs Racers. I think he just doesn't like the dark rides, but he's coming around now. His one exception is Toy Story Mania. He loves the gaming aspect, so he doesn't mind that it's in the dark.

He absolutely adores the outdoor rides, with Goofy's Sky School being his favorite. He can't get enough of Jumpin' Jellyfish, the Silly Symphony Swings, the Astro Orbitor, and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. His new goal is to "eat a lot of vegetables" so he can be tall enough to ride California Screamin'.

The one time he surprised me was when he asked to go on Tower of Terror. I told him it was very scary and I didn't think he'd like it, but he insisted over and over. We let him, thinking he would be afraid of the queue and we'd make an early exit. But he made it all the way onto the ride and did the whole thing. Here's proof. At the end of the ride, he screamed "GET ME OUT OF HERE!!" but in the exit corridor, declared the ride awesome.

Anyway, I get joy out of his enjoyment of the park, and that's all you can ask for, really.
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
    I meant the nice ​stories, which I'm sure people have as well
    These ARE the nice stories!!

But seriously, a trip to Disneyland with babies and young children is unlike any other Disneyland experience. It can be wonderful, as others have said before, but it also takes a lot more work. You also have to move a LOT slower than you may be used to, or prefer. I know this was hard for me to get used to. Dealing with Disneyland with children in DIapers can be a real pain in the uh, well... neck. You have to stop a lot to take care of the little one, and dirty diapers won't wait. It can be even worse when they start potty training. I remember waiting 40 minutes for a ride, and then having to leave the line because my kid announced "I have to pee, now!" ANd believe me, with little kids, now means NOW.

But I don't recomend avoiding Disneyland at those years. It's still a great way to spend time as a family, and it will help your child learn how to travel and deal with crowds, lines, etc.

Just bring lots of patience, and realize you have to experience Disney in ways you never thought possible before.

And before you know it, they're out of diapers and want to go on the rides you're too old to go on anymore.

As a father of 5 (the youngest is just 7 weeks), the Disneyland trips every couple of years are the highlights for sure. They provide the memories that the family still talks about years after.

My daughter (3rd child) is 14, and her first trip was when she was just about 1 year old (around 45th anniversary). We still talk about her first time on Small World, where she just had her eyes as big as they would open and kept saying "Oooooooooooooh" to all the neat things she saw.

My favorite Disneyland memory is with Son #3 (4th child) whose first trip was during the 50th anniversary. We drove from Phoenix and got to the McDonalds across from the Park around 230am, little guy woke up and to keep everybody else asleep I took him for a walk to scout the area. We were able to get right up to the gates and look inside and we could see through the entry tunnel into Main Street with the lights on. It was so peaceful and beautiful, it was like the park belonged to just Me, Little Man, and Walt.

Love the parks with my wife and children, and hope you get to experience that special brand of magic too!

This is why you have kids, so you can take them to Disneyland! When we took my daughter, her favorite movie was Cars and Carsland had just opened up. When we got to Carsland, she just started wandering around with a look of delight and awe. She loved Mater and we did the M&G photo thing with him. I told her it was okay to touch him, she gently patted him on the hood. I had no idea a child touching a tow truck could be so adorable.

Basically, a lot of rides you may not care for suddenly become your favorite rides because your child delights in them. My peanut said her first whole phrase when she got off the Ladybug Ride and announced 'One more time!' (she's autistic and doesn't talk a whole lot. Um, yeah, it was pretty cool.)

I wouldn't really recommend taking your child until they are around 4 years old, for reasons cited above. Give them a chance to get to know some of the movies.

• Minion

It is horrible!!!

Meet my 5 year old son 14 years ago

(background first, I had not been to Disneyland in 33 years since I left the park on scout day, 1967, not knowing that I would never return. married a woman in 1985 who hated Disneyland, was on conservative track that money was for saving and not spending. But returning to Disneyland was always in the back of my mind as I engaged myself in all the outdoor oregon activities. So was waiting for my son to be born, turn five and away we would go. Sold a painting and used those earnings to travel to Disneyland)

My son!!! Was bitten by the wild snakes he handled, had a yellow jacket wasp chew a bit of his buttered BBQ lip off (still has the scar), ignored poison oak, climbed behind my heels straight up hill sides, pointed his snowboard straight down the hill, climbed under rotting oaks to find alligator lizards and had to be pulled off the roof many times because he thought that with a good cape, that gravity would be his friend.

But Disneyland terrified him. Peter pan was kinda okay, Mr Toad very fast and overwhelming and Alice, well that was the cake that on our 3 day trip we never entered a building again. At the age of 6, on a return free 9/11 trip giveaway, we did bribe him into pirates and that was the ride over and over with autopia. But nothing with a building, including small world.

There was one magical moment of seeing him at the age of five that can never be ventured again at any age. Nor for any future five year-old, Goofy's bounce house. he had the dream come true of fantasy to run roughshod over furniture. all to himself one night for over thirty minutes. Thirty minutes of ear to ear grinning, no matter how painful the bladder.

Seeing your children experience the magic for the first time is pretty great. We took our son and daughter when he was just barely four and she was about eight months old. It worked better than we had planned because my daughter was so small that nothing she went on affected her, she just took it all in. Our son went on every ride he was tall enough for (Space Mountain (even on the first day when it was still Ghost Galaxy), Star Tours, Big Thunder, Splash, RSR, Soarin') with the exception of ToT, couldn't get him on that one. He loved all of them save for Splash, which was the only one he refused to ride more than once.

We took them back for a few days a few months ago, he being five and she almost two and it was pretty fun. He was a little less adventurous (no Matterhorn even though it was his first visit where he could ride it) and she didn't like the dark rides at all.

It was great both visits, but the first was still the best. My favorite picture is of us waiting at rope drop on the first day. My wife took it and I'm standing behind the stroller, saying cheese, while my son is standing on the back of the stroller staring at the Matterhorn with this smile of anticipation and my daughter is looking toward the castle with a very curious look on her face, trying to figure out where we've taken her.

We took my daughter at 16 months for her first trip. She did really well for the most part. She was really into Mickey and Minnie so she was in heaven!! The only thing she didn't love was the Carousel of all things. She did well on everything we tried.

It was a new and very different experience. A SLOW experience, but we were able to have a great time in a differnt way than we had before we had kids.

We took her again about 2 months after she turned two. She still talks about it, over a year and a half later. I am sure most two year olds wouldn't, but I have this crazy child that retains everything in her pretty little head! Ha ha! She asks on at least weekly basis if we can go to Disneyland. It is the magic in their eyes that makes it worth all the stress, long days and high cost associated with takig your kids to Disneyland. I cannot wait to take her back and introduce my sone to the magic as well on his first trip next January!!!

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Each child will react their own way. Some are magical memories you will never forget. Others will want to make you do a swan dive off the Tower of terror. You know your kids best so go in with low expectations and just go with the flow.

My oldest son's first visit was when I had a convention down the street. Talked my wife into coming along and figured we could kill time at Disneyland as a family. It only turned out to be the greatest moment of my life outside of getting married and watching my boys being born. He was just in awe of everything at two years old and loved it all other than wanting to get a picture with Mickey.

my youngest son's first trip was almost like that you but with a bit more apprehension. He was a little more nervous on a few rides and cried a bit more but all in all was fantastic.

Now with that being said, return visits even a few months or a year later did not go well. My boys would go ballistic if we got into a dark ride. Lots of tears and crying for trying to do the stuff they loved a short time before. Even now after we have been going several years I am still having to bribe them to go on some rides, keep the tears in check and in general just stay at the park instead of going to the Lego store.

dont get me wrong but our experiences show low expectations work best.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

My daughter's first trip to Disneyland was taken when she was about three years old. It was, indeed, like experiencing it all like a kid, all over again. I was positively giddy to go and show her all of the aspects of Disneyland that make it such a marvelous place to visit. She loved it, overall, and was generally well behaved, but there were still frustrating instances of refusal to experience attractions that the wife and insisted were perfectly benign and lots of fun. Also, of course, kids of that age do wear out pretty quickly and then get cranky, but for us that just meant that we had to take a break and eat, or find an attraction with little wait and not too much excitement. In any case, the joy that she shared with us was well more than worth any little issues that we had to deal with.

Now, I'm sure I'll hear some dissenting opinions, but I, personally feel that bringing a child of less than about two and a half or three years, to Disneyland, is really just a bad idea. As others have said, there is the need for numerous diaper changes, bottle feedings and other rest stops, the potential for lots of crying, etc. There is also the ever present deluge of strollers that would be much smaller if people didn't insist on bringing babies and the cart full of the required accouterment with them. Mostly, though, I think that Disneyland can't be fully enjoyed by children that are too young to really understand, and might very well be scared by, a lot of what's going on around them. Besides, they will likely not be able to remember what experiences they do have, later on. So, to me, it's a much better idea to wait until the kids are a little lower-maintenance and will likely have a much better experience, themselves.

Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Greetings, Program!

I can sum it up with this brief description:

Ever since my 2 year old son learned to express himself with "wow" and a smile, it's like I'm also at the park for the first time again.

I actually prefer going with my son than with my friends, and that's saying something.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast