Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Line Etiquette

Re: Line Etiquette

I'd agree with most... I'd like to see the cast stop those who have one person holding a place then 4,5,6 people push past everyone... we were in line for Buzz once, so many people pushed past (and I mean pushed) that we had to move backwards... and it is really impossible to tell if they were meeting anyone anyway.
    But if one dad is holding a place for a very young child who is too young to be comfortable in line, that makes perfect sense.
    I've a couple time played "aunt" for someone in line with a child, they are nearing the end of a 40 minute wait when the child says "Mommy I have to gooooooo"
    On the other hand, you might have some reaction if other kids wait... it would probably be good to spend some time in line... I bet you will find other parents doing the same, particularly for really young ones...
    a three hour wait? wow.... that is dedication.....

After our 3 hour wait and meeting with Anna I leaned down and asked my daughter, "so was that long wait worth it?!" Her reply was, and this is just classic, "no."

At least we had 3 days in the park prior. I really feel for anyone who was only there for one day and can't get to the park often. So yeah, within reason I cut some slack for people if the line is long that they might have a couple party members pop in and out of line here and there. That's just me. I could see how others may be bothered with any place holding of any kind, so I think it's best to avoid it if you are able and if you must, at least keep it minimal.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

As long as it's not a gaggle of people and their extended family, I'm okay with it. Waiting a few more minutes (if that) won't kill me.

• Chief Troublemaker

Unfortunately if any formal policy is put in place that allows 'line-joining', there will be people who abuse it & people who will still be angered by someone joining the line, even if the rule permits it. Ok for meet n greets but not rides? Saving for X number of people but not Y? Kids ok but not saving for adults (trust me, my bladder capacity is about the size of a 2 year olds ) ? OK if you all get in line first then leave? OK if the line is more than X minutes long? OK if you let people around you know you'll be back?

Just the fact that so many people have so many different ideas of what's ok & what's not shows that there will be no situation that allows joining that makes everyone happy.

Disney will be 'damned if they do & damned if they don't' unless they institute a 100% 'no tolerance' rule across the board. That may be unfortunate, but I think that's just the way it is.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Unfortunately if any formal policy is put in place that allows 'line-joining', there will be people who abuse it & people who will still be angered by someone joining the line, even if the rule permits it. Ok for meet n greets but not rides? Saving for X number of people but not Y? Kids ok but not saving for adults (trust me, my bladder capacity is about the size of a 2 year olds ) ? OK if you all get in line first then leave? OK if the line is more than X minutes long? OK if you let people around you know you'll be back?

Just the fact that so many people have so many different ideas of what's ok & what's not shows that there will be no situation that allows joining that makes everyone happy.

Disney will be 'damned if they do & damned if they don't' unless they institute a 100% 'no tolerance' rule across the board. That may be unfortunate, but I think that's just the way it is.

I don't think there needs to be any official rule implemented, but I think it helps to have a general idea of what is within reason. Some people may not think it's okay at all, others may not care if a group of 5 hops in line. But from what I can see, most people seem ok with just a few people at most. I feel it's ok especially for parents taking kids to the restroom, but I think if an adult has to go and another adult holds their place, that's understandable too.

Some people may gripe about it, but I think the majority of guests would be understanding given it doesn't get out of hand. Courtesy and being understanding goes both ways. As long as people use courtesy and understanding and only do these things on a limited/necessity basis and remember to be polite, I think most people would find it understandable.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• The doctor is in

As far as the Frozen meet and greet does, is there any particular reason the line averages 2-3 hours in line? Don't the CMs cap the visit after a certain amount of time?

I would imagine with a wait like that people are taking 5-10 minutes each to meet these princesses. Even the meet and greets in the PFF don't take that long.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

WDW just announced they are moving Anna and Elsa over to MK from Epcot. Will be interesting to see how crowded PFH over there gets because of it. Would create a nightmare at DL I reckon

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    WDW just announced they are moving Anna and Elsa over to MK from Epcot. Will be interesting to see how crowded PFH over there gets because of it. Would create a nightmare at DL I reckon
    they did did that because it has a queue that can hold a large number of people and accommodate FP, none of which the Norway Pavilion could do. At DL, their location adequately contains the line for the current demand (and did throughout the holiday season when they were new and their movie was fresh in the theater, along with elevated park attendance, so likely the peak of demand). I predict they will remain in their current location until the next princess evicts them...

• Resident Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Whether or not we think it is ok is no guarantee that someone in the line will not find it ok and make a big stink about it.

What you want to do is have support for your position in line from the guests immediately around you. You do this by having your whole party join the line, then after 5 minutes or so, have your wife and daughter excuse themselves. Everyone around you knows they were there. Even complete strangers will support you.
    Easy.
    This is probably your best idea. Having someone who was there before return after a little bit is not annoying; what's annoying is having people push past you in line saying "oh someone is holding a spot for us". That makes me want to tell the group no, that they're not allowed to cut past me.

Either way, there's not a lot someone can do if they have a problem with your family meeting you back in line. They can complain to a CM, but I don't think there's any real policy in place where a CM can kick you out of line or whatever. lol

*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧ Time until next Disney trip: *✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    That would really stink if it was for a ride with a height requirement.
    Why? Rider Switch is still an option.

•   
    • Minion

Someone else mentioned it but if you had to keep your party together for the whole wait it would cut the line down dramatically I bet. When I was growing up I had to stay and wait in line. if I decided i wanted to use the restroom we all got out of line. The one case for me I remember vividly is when i was about to go on Space Mountain for the first time ever as I was finally tall enough. The wait was 1 hour. Well I had to go to the bathroom and my dad reminded me that he asked me before we got in line if i needed to go. So we all got out of line and it was are only chance to ride it that trip as FP wasn't invented yet and I was too scared the day before to try it. So after that i learned to be patient and plan out these kinds of things. Now people can run off and do other tings while someone in the party does the waiting. Just like blankets on the ground for Fantasmic. People are more worried about seeing something than spending time together in the park. Just my take on it. I am not saying you shouldn't go to the restroom if you need to but leaving someone alone in line for 2 hours seems odd at a family park.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The way I was brought up, I think that any line-cutting is bad other than if a kid and their parent/guardian needs to leave the line in an emergency and then rejoin. I always thought Disney should have bathrooms accessible from queues in some of the larger line attractions, but making that work in the older E-ticket buildings would be hard.

• Minion

I really do hate when groups of people push their way up a line as if they are entitled to do so, and as has already been mentioned here, it's not even always possible to see if anyone ahead is holding a spot for them further up the line or not. Usually I've noticed that people that push their way through the line do say "Excuse me" as they're doing it. Usually they just get away with it and make their way to the front. It seems as if those two magic words "Excuse me" makes the rudeness of what they're doing ok? Well, I guess it's better than not saying it at all, but ... I'm not really sure. A couple of times as they pushed past me and said "Excuse me" I asked "Why?" ... Once when a large group of girls said "Excuse me" and pushed past I just said "No" (but of course I didn't try to block their way).

• Pilot EdForceOne

Tell them their group can wait for them and don't let them past.

The reason people do it because they know everyone will let them and are afraid to confront them over it.

You see people do it in lines everywhere... The only way to stop it is to have everyone stand up to them
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I still have a debate going on in my head about the parenting / life lesson of holding her place in line, but I wanted to ask the question here to see what other people in line would think. We are going for her 4th birthday and I don't honestly know how she would handle a two hour wait in line. Even if she could manage it and we were able to have a great time in the line, it would end up taking most of her time in the park. If she was older or the line was closer to an hour, I would make her stand in the line so she could understand there are consequences in life.

I also wouldn't think of doing this on a ride. I would only do it on a one for one swap. She will be taking my place in line. Of course I will have to stay in line with her, but I don't plan on doing any actual meet and great activities.

The sad thing is that we were discussing this dilemma with another couple at one of my daughters friends birthday parties (there is one every weekend these days). They said they hired a nanny for the day they went to DL for the express purposing of standing in line for the family. That just is just so wrong, but yet how much better is it than what I was planning on doing?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast