Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Line Etiquette

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Line Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by Torreyrad View Post
    The sad thing is that we were discussing this dilemma with another couple at one of my daughters friends birthday parties (there is one every weekend these days). They said they hired a nanny for the day they went to DL for the express purposing of standing in line for the family. That just is just so wrong, but yet how much better is it than what I was planning on doing?
    The paying for a line sitter just tells your child "money can pay off any burden" - which IMO makes people entirely dependent on others and lack the appreciation for work/detail/labor.

I'm all for making special suprises for my kids, and even spoiling them at christmas, etc.. but I think I'd draw the line at ensuring they didn't have to wait in any lines... even a super line. It's this 'someone will do it for me..' is why this line is so intolerably long in the first place. People are taking the consequences away from those that would normally bear them.

If a 4yr old couldn't wait in a 2hr line.. the line wouldn't be 2hrs long... but instead by making all these substitutions we enable the line to grow beyond it's natural balancing point.

I totally understand your position as a father - and it's difficult for a 4yr old to understand those kinds of trade-offs of spending such a great portion of your day in the line so you can't just leave it to her. In my world... I would probably wait in line for her as part of her birthday 'gift' if there was a way in that queue to not have to walk the entire line pushing through to catch up
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    If a 4yr old couldn't wait in a 2hr line.. the line wouldn't be 2hrs long... but instead by making all these substitutions we enable the line to grow beyond it's natural balancing point.

Exactly!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Selfie Expert

I actually say this is perfectly reasonable and fine (given it's a one-for-one substitution). You are not adding to anyone's wait time, and it is no one's business about how to "teach your child" about life, especially if it is not hurting or impeding anyone else in any manner. Go for it and enjoy!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

If you are just holding for your kid in a M&G no one will care... If you are holding for more than 1 person and it is a ride then you risk having someone take offense. Nothing chaps my hide more than being in a ride line and someone suddenly brings in 3 people, actually I should say someone tries to because I'm one of those folks that wont let a group past me and am more than willing to politely knock someone's block off if they push the issue. When I'm in a ride line I am estimating my line time based on the number of people that are in line in front of me, not the number or scuzbuckets that want to mysteriously meet their friends at the last minute.

One word of warning, verify that Elsa is actually there and don't assume she is. We were there two days in a row when she failed to show and they only had Anna. So check with the CM or all your waiting may be in vain.
    Last edited by Mackster; 03-25-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torreyrad View Post
    I have read that holding places in line is poor form but was wondering if that is always the case. In particular, my wife and I are taking my daughter to the park and the one thing she wants to do is meet Elsa. I am willing to wait in line for 3 hours if that is what she wants. The question is if it is okay for me to hold her place in line while she and my wife go to see other things and bring her into the line at the last moment? More of a line swap since I don't need to meet Else myself.

In one of the discussion on the Frozen meet and greet someone else mentioned that they did that and no one seemed to take issue.
    Don't do this. Waiting in line is a good way to teach your child patience. Tell them they can leave the line any time they want but that they have to wait in line to see Elsa. If you do this, you will not be doing yourself a favor for later in your child's life.

I agree that a long line is a good way to teach children some lessons about expectations, entitlement and so on. There are few free rides in life.

That said, I'm not bothered when I see a parent joining another, who has been waiting in a line, with one or two of their kids. I don't consider this to be cutting. The truth is, at a meet-n-greet, it is most often the kids who are going to take part in the experience, with a parent furiously snapping pictures. It isn't six people getting on an attraction. It can be a 1:1 or 3:1 ratio of not-really-participating : participating.

I've seen many kids opt-out at the last moment, much to the dismay of their chaperones!
    ~ Erik

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    At DL, their location adequately contains the line for the current demand (and did throughout the holiday season when they were new and their movie was fresh in the theater, along with elevated park attendance, so likely the peak of demand). I predict they will remain in their current location until the next princess evicts them...
    Well, I was wrong! The line today was crazy and extended along the edge of Village Haus all the way to the bathrooms for an estimated wait of 4 hours! I do still think they will stay there until a new princess makes her debut, but that was one crazy line!

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Also note that the "Frozen" line can close early at ANY time that is different then the 4:30 P.M closing time due to how long the line gets.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I actually say this is perfectly reasonable and fine (given it's a one-for-one substitution). You are not adding to anyone's wait time, and it is no one's business about how to "teach your child" about life, especially if it is not hurting or impeding anyone else in any manner. Go for it and enjoy!
    This.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• -

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    Don't do this. Waiting in line is a good way to teach your child patience. Tell them they can leave the line any time they want but that they have to wait in line to see Elsa. If you do this, you will not be doing yourself a favor for later in your child's life.
    It’s not anyone’s business, but the actual parent how the children are taught patience. Further, the child will be waiting in enough lines during a day at Disneyland to learn patience.

Having one parent in line for 2 or 3 hours will teach the child another lesson to carry into adulthood: Parents make sacrifices for their children. I’m sure the parent in this situation would like to do other things at Disneyland, but you know what? He is sacrificing time out of his day so that his kids can meet the princesses. He could have easily said, “I want to go on Astro Orbitor and eat at Pizza Port” but he is putting aside ride and dining preferences to miss out on part of his day to do something for his child. That is something that the kids need to take with them into parenthood as well.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

I don't know doing on a meet and greet versus a attraction to me makes no difference. I don't like the practice of leaving someone in line holding a place for other people. Disney should make FP for the meet and greets or appointment only or maybe charge for them like comic cons for pictures and autographs. It's been said many times but if you told the child they had to wait 2 hours to meet Elsa I am betting they wouldn't do it more often than not and then the line would shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    One is virtual and one is real life. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/gue...ices/fastpass/

However with fastpasses, one can only have their place held in line for one ride at a time. In contrast, one can potentially have friends waiting in several lines and just run and join them at the front of the line.
    Also, Fastpass is a system that the company gives you permission to use. The company has control of the system, carefully determining the number of passes available for each attraction at any given time, while as with people saving spots in line, it's kind of a free-for-all, with no control over how many people are reserving how many spaces.

• The Disneyland Bro

Like with everything, it depends. Something like the Frozen Meet & Greet I think it's ok since it's easy to pop in and out of line. When guests save a spot in line for say Indy, it's ridiculous to try to cut in front of all these guests to go so "deep" into line.

• Im awkward youre gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    As far as the Frozen meet and greet does, is there any particular reason the line averages 2-3 hours in line? Don't the CMs cap the visit after a certain amount of time?

I would imagine with a wait like that people are taking 5-10 minutes each to meet these princesses. Even the meet and greets in the PFF don't take that long.
    I know this comment was from a few days ago but I can chime in here. My best friend and I did the Frozen M&G a few weeks ago on a Sunday. As two adults meeting Anna and Elsa, our character interaction was about 5 minutes start to finish. But we weren't just there for the photo-op, we're total kids at heart and get really giddy and embarrassed when we meet characters, so we asked questions and chatted and hugged, etc. All in all, that 5 minutes was ABSOLUTELY worth the 2 hour wait. But if we didn't buy into the "magic" of meeting characters, it probably wouldn't have felt worth it. We were predisposed to enjoy it, and we did.

We waited with my husband, and each of the three of us maybe left the line once to either grab a snack, run to the restroom, or even just to stretch our legs. But we all spent a vast majority of the time in line together. And we tried to time it so that if one of us left, we were in an easy enough spot to rejoin the line.

• Certified DL Addict

I wish the Frozen line wasn't so long, or that it had a Fastpass.

What do some of you people have against FP? I love it, and it sucks when you have rides that don't have it (Seriously, Toy Story Mania... if WDW has it so can we!).

But not FP+... keep that crap away from Walt's park.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast