Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Why did the Main Street Electrical Parade have to go?

It makes me sad to think that my kids will never get to experience the summer night tradition that was the Main Street Electrical Parade. My son got to see the parade in DCA on it's last performance a few years ago and even though he was only about 2 he still remembers it and often asks if he will ever get to see it again and I can only spare his feelings with a simple "maybe someday".

I remember it was a tradition in the summer to watch the parade as it made it's way from Small World and then back again later that night with fireworks in between. The park used to be open till 1AM those days and the parade was just as much a traditional part of Disneyland as Dumbo or The Enchanted Tiki Room, vintage attractions for sure but considered absolute classics.

Then, for no specific reason, it ended. Why? What possible reason would they have for removing/replacing such a beloved classic that never dwindled in popularity? Other parks still have their night time parades that make our beloved Electrical Parade seem rinky dink by comparison but I know I'm not alone when I say that even if it returned with every low tech Christmas light in place we wouldn't care. We want it back.

Sure there are folks out there that want the return of the People Mover, the Skyway, the Motorboats etc... but lets face it.Disney wouldn't want to spend that kind of money to bring back an attraction that would prove to be ridiculously costly due to ADA modifications required by law.

Wouldn't it be much cheaper to just bring the parade back instead? How many fans would it take to make Disney take a petition to bring back the parade seriously?

Personally I stopped renewing passes for my family last year with no intention of returning anytime soon. Bringing back the Main Street Electrical Parade would no doubt restore some of the magic I feel the park has lost and would also convince me that perhaps visiting the parks again would be worth it. Perhaps I'm not the only one it would bring back too.

So what do you think the magic number for a petition would be? 1million? 10? 100?

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Why did the Main Street Electrical Parade have to go?

Because we've been told that change is good.

That's how we got Light Tragic.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Same reason why everything else has changed. I wish they would do away for it forever already. It's time to create new experiences for new generations.

I just think it's counterintuitive to remove something then bring it back.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

I hope it comes back, too. One of my fondest childhood memories is riding the Matterhorn with the Main Street Electrical Parade passing down below. I was glad when it came to DCA, but it didn't quite feel right. I'd love to see it back in its home park!

• Minion

well apparently WDW changed their plans when they got it on "loan" from DLR (at least, Miceage said it was on loan). We were told that WDW would use MSEP while refurbing SpectroMagic, however it seems WDW has scrapped Spectro and I don't think they are even working on a replacement.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    I hope it comes back, too. One of my fondest childhood memories is riding the Matterhorn with the Main Street Electrical Parade passing down below. I was glad when it came to DCA, but it didn't quite feel right. I'd love to see it back in its home park!
    If they re going the nostalgia route for the 60th bringing the parade back is a no brainer. I would be shocked if they didn't and really disappointed.

• Minion

Maybe the flop of Light Magic made them realize that two Fantasmics and fireworks are enough of a nighttime draw. What would a Fireworks/Fantasmic/MSEP schedule look like with the current 12 AM closing time? Only one Fantasmic?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Maybe the flop of Light Magic made them realize that two Fantasmics and fireworks are enough of a nighttime draw. What would a Fireworks/Fantasmic/MSEP schedule look like with the current 12 AM closing time? Only one Fantasmic?
    they did it before for years. I don't know what the exact times were but it seems to me that MSEP and Fantasmic ran at the same time
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Minion

If they're planning on doing the nostalgia thing for the celebration next year, MSEP shouldn't definitely be brought back. After that, it should no longer be offered. It's time to move on.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by mickEblu View Post
    If they re going the nostalgia route for the 60th bringing the parade back is a no brainer. I would be shocked if they didn't and really disappointed.

This. T. H. I. S.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Former Churro Jockey

They got rid of it because it was old and supposedly no longer as popular. Then they did the "farewell season" and were shocked at how insanely crowded that whole summer was with people trying to see it one last time. I hired in during the farewell season, so I can't say whether the crowds were really light before that, but they were beyond insande that summer. But at the same time, all the people I talked to were kind of sad the parade was going away, but they all recognized that it was time for a change. In '96, everyone was looking forward to Light Magic. Then we all saw it and everyone started clamoring to bring back the MSEP. But if Light Magic had actually been good, then I think most people would have been fine with MSEP going away and by now there would be people old enough to bring their kids to the park to show them the new light parade that they grew up with.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Same reason why everything else has changed. I wish they would do away for it forever already. It's time to create new experiences for new generations.

I just think it's counterintuitive to remove something then bring it back.
    Boilerplate answer I always disagree with: "You're just nostalgic and nostalgia isn't a valid reason to keep a beloved attraction."

How's that make you feel about your memories?

I'd like to see a new float added to MSEP every few years. A Frozen float and characters could be mesmerizing. You could jettison something that might not be playing as well anymore if space were an issue. Frankly, the rescoring or modification of the incredible soundtrack might be the most difficult part of bringing the MSEP into a modern context that would resonate with younger, newer Disney fans.
    ~ Erik

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    Boilerplate answer I always disagree with: "You're just nostalgic and nostalgia isn't a valid reason to keep a beloved attraction."

How's that make you feel about your memories?

I'd like to see a new float added to MSEP every few years. A Frozen float and characters could be mesmerizing. You could jettison something that might not be playing as well anymore if space were an issue. Frankly, the rescoring or modification of the incredible soundtrack might be the most difficult part of bringing the MSEP into a modern context that would resonate with younger, newer Disney fans.
    Very nicely put.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    It's time to create new experiences for new generations.
    The problem lies when the new experience isn’t as good as the one it is replacing. Light Magic replacing the Electrical Parade is a perfect example. If Light Magic was actually good and far exceeded what the Electrical Parade ever was, I don’t think there would be as many cries to bring back the Electrical Parade. Change for the sake of change is never good. Change for improvement is what should be sought.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    I think if the times are off by a little bit, then it could work because Fantasmic! and the parade route are not right next to one another. Since the fireworks are at 9:25, I can see them running a first MSEP slightly before the first Fantasmic at about 8:45 and then running a second time after the crowds have cleared out and just before the second Fantasmic at 10:15. If it DOES return though, I don't think DCA is an option an more as MSEP would cut right through the World of Color "traffic area" over by Paradise Pier and that would be a nightmare.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast