• Mischievous Mouse

Summertime for the first time.

Well we put off our biennial Disneyland trip (February plus Dec. '10 and an exception of Sept. '12) since 2004 because we had no Indy last time so it's a must this time, and with other stuff down BTMRR and PotC it's a way overkill. I could live without SM, and maybe even GRR, but the GRR is a trip staple!

So now we are either going in the prime of summer July or holding off until next Feb, which of course Feb.2015 could be fraught with more disappointing closures.

So the question.

Are lines going to be dramatically different compared to Feb. given that the rides operate at a lower percentage vehicle activation than peak season?

I can live with 45-50 minutes for the E tickets, but will it or could it be 75-90 minutes? during the weekdays?
    We have been the first week of Halloween (i thought it was pretty busy) and when i checked the the wait times the next week when we returned home the waits were 20-25% lower easy, we learned a lesson there, don't go opening week of holiday season. It's just like a movie. Expect way more than normal.

Also went third week of a Christmas season, was not that much busier than a February wait times, I was surprised.

So here we are, i'm trying to convince the wife it won't be as bad as she thinks, other than warmer than usual, but we managed triple digits in Sept. '12 which was unseasonably HOT, for So Cal.

Help us decide. We are planning on 3 days DL/CA and a day at each Seaworld and Univ. Studios. since we have never been to SW and it's been 8 years for universal.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Re: Summertime for the first time.

A coworker went to Universal and said so much was closed because of the renovation for Harry Potter Land (or whatever they're calling it) that they left after a few hours so you might want to wait that out a bit longer.

We went June of 2012 and I didn't think it was bad on the weekend but Mon and Tues were brutal. It all depends on AP block out days. If you can plan your trip when most APs are blocked then you should be good. We didn't even use most of our FPs on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    We went June of 2012 and I didn't think it was bad on the weekend but Mon and Tues were brutal. It all depends on AP block out days. If you can plan your trip when most APs are blocked then you should be good. We didn't even use most of our FPs on the weekend.
    This. I had a premium pass in 2012 and I would choose to go on Saturdays as all passes are blocked out (besides premium). Also, July can get warm but August and September is when it SoCal hits the triple digits. Overall, a Saturday n June and July is very manageable and the extended hours are a big advantage over February.
    The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!

• Under that tree again!

I wouldn't give up on Universal, because Despicable Me's land will be open and that will be less construction.

I would do a SoCal Citypass since it covers all of you tickets. Look at the price. CityPASS® Official Site - Save up to 50%: New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Southern California, Seattle, Houston, San Francisco, Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay

You have the right idea about wait in midsummer midweek. But RSR, probably Splash without GRR and Space tend to reach an hour plus.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

IMO summer is best time to go. Most aps are blocked out. Park is operating at full capacity. Mostly tourists attend who don't know how to work the park ie. FP. Last summer I got a FP for Indy at 9 pm for 11 pm. Extended hours is a big factor for my family. Arrive early leave by 1 pm, have lunch, nap or lie by pool, back to park for second parade, stay till close. 12 hours of park day with a nap in the middle perfect. Happy travels.

• Mischievous Mouse

Thanks for all the great thoughts ideas and advice. Will check the city pass idea.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

Are the ride closures supposed to be that bad in February? I'm trying to plan a trip to DLR and I can go in either Jan. or Feb of 2015. But I don't want to go if everything is going to be closed in preparation for the 60th.

Quote Originally Posted by madgei View Post
    Are the ride closures supposed to be that bad in February? I'm trying to plan a trip to DLR and I can go in either Jan. or Feb of 2015. But I don't want to go if everything is going to be closed in preparation for the 60th.
    There will always be some things closed at that time of year. This year had a lot but there usually aren't that many.

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

There will always be some things closed at that time of year. This year had a lot but there usually aren't that many.
    Yeah, there's always things closed. I am just nervous about there being more closures than usual. I've never been to Disneyland in February either. Thanks for answering my question though!

• Mischievous Mouse

The worst year was 2004 February, SM, BTMRR, HM, IJA were ALL closed. We were rookies then, but since then Feb biennial has been actually GREAT! We always have SplM which is a MUST!!

-Walt Disney

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by madgei View Post
    Yeah, there's always things closed. I am just nervous about there being more closures than usual. I've never been to Disneyland in February either. Thanks for answering my question though!
    The period between The Holidays and Spring Break is the longest period of slow days. The trade of is for the slowest days it gets the most closures. Presidents Day Weekend is busy, so some end for it, and other start after it.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Mischievous Mouse

looking forward to summertime at DLR

-Walt Disney