View Poll Results: Do you like/dislike and/or use fastpasses?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like and use the system.

    68 70.10%
  • I don't like fastpasses but I use them.

    15 15.46%
  • I don't like fastpasses and I don't use them.

    5 5.15%
  • I don't use fastpasses but I don't dislike them.

    2 2.06%
  • I don't care/other.

    7 7.22%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 73
  1. #46

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada.
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    Well, I remember times before FP, I'm not going on other people's experience, and we waited so much longer than we do now. You had no choice but to wait in the hour + line for all of the big rides. My memories of going to Disneyland were of waiting in really long lines. I remember waiting close to an hour for Pirates.
    Thats how I remember the 80's to mid 90's when going to Disneyland as a child/teen, long long lines. In the last 14 years, I have never waited in a line nearly as long as I did back then.

    I use and enjoy having the option of the fast pass system, and instead of waiting in line for 1+ hour, I can go have lunch, or ride something else with a shorter line.

  2. #47

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    15,152

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    Alright, let's break it down:



    Peter Pan's Flight



    I don't know... anywhere from zero to all....? That's hard to gauge since this ride has ALWAYS had excessive wait times.
    What I was asserting is that there's "excessive" and then there's "excessive" +.

    When you pluck a fast pass from a machine instead of getting into the line you are, from that moment forward, exerting a stress on the park. Whether it be crowding a walkway, occupying a bench, a place in another line....unless you magically float up into the air you are contributing to the crowd.

    Your logic fails when you basically come back with: "Oh, you picked the wrong ride. Now you need to pick a sample of rides." You can't change the questions because you don't like the answers. Your argument was lost on me after that point.
    I did no such thing. Me thinks my argument was lost on you long before that point.

    I honestly feel that the overall wait times for all the rides is pretty much the same as a typical Summer day before FP. Only every day is this way instead of seasonally like the past. But I also genuinely feel that I now get to go on more rides than I ever could as a kid. I could only dream of going on Star Tours 4 times in a day before FP. Unless that was all I did. Forget any other rides, let alone eating something.
    The word I bolded says a lot here.

    I would have spent all day in line. I know this isn't a false impression. The consensus is that FP works as designed. You get to go on more attractions and wait less in line. I know that it works for my family and I very well.
    And that is exactly what Disney wants you to believe.......glad it works for you but I am not capable of turning my brain off (some might say on, ymmv)

    Have a nice night and don't forget, you don't need to pay a high water bill to top off that backyard swimming pool. Just dip a bucket into the deep end and pour it back into the shallow end
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

  3. #48

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    When you pluck a fast pass from a machine instead of getting into the line you are, from that moment forward, exerting a stress on the park. Whether it be crowding a walkway, occupying a bench, a place in another line....unless you magically float up into the air you are contributing to the crowd.
    My mere presence in the park is exerting stress. My having a FP doesn't place any additional stress on the park. Whether I'm standing in a line or walking around, there's still only ONE of me. I am ALWAYS contributing to the crowd.

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    The word I bolded says a lot here.
    Considering that my 15 year old self didn't have the foresight to bring a stopwatch with me to time my wait, I have no choice but to use that word. All I KNOW is that there is absolutely no way I could go on as many rides then as I can now. And the overwhelming majority of posters on this thread have said the same thing. I guess we just don't know what we are talking about because we have been brainwashed....

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    And that is exactly what Disney wants you to believe.......glad it works for you but I am not capable of turning my brain off (some might say on, ymmv)
    Classy.

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Have a nice night and don't forget, you don't need to pay a high water bill to top off that backyard swimming pool. Just dip a bucket into the deep end and pour it back into the shallow end
    Since your logic says that there are TWO FULL buckets, this shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by 4th Gen Disney Fan; 03-24-2014 at 05:59 PM.


    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney


  4. #49

    • Seed and Mulch
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    566

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I'm not physically in two places at once.
    You are once you sit down in the ride vehicle. Put another way, if you are holding a Fastpass for Splash Mountain and are standing in the standby line for BTMRR, you are physically in the SM line and virtually in the BTMRR line, but you will eventually physically be inside the ride vehicle of both attractions ... and because of this, you are making both attraction waits longer for the people behind you (which is really what matters).


  5. #50

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    You are once you sit down in the ride vehicle. Put another way, if you are holding a Fastpass for Splash Mountain and are standing in the standby line for BTMRR, you are physically in the SM line and virtually in the BTMRR line, but you will eventually physically be inside the ride vehicle of both attractions ... and because of this, you are making both attraction waits longer for the people behind you (which is really what matters).
    I think you have your physical and virtual mixed up here. Secondly, I am not physically in two different places at the same time. I'm not in both ride vehicles at the same time. The people that are waiting in Standby on Splash aren't being held back until I get in line before them. FP return times are generally well outside the expected Standby wait time when the FP is issued. You are holding a FUTURE place in time. A time that NOBODY that is currently in Standby can expect to reach before theyvride. They will all have already rode and moved on before you come back.
    Last edited by 4th Gen Disney Fan; 03-24-2014 at 05:40 PM.


    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney


  6. #51

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,725

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Never said "all". But even if it's only 20%, that's 9 -extra- minutes you're waiting because of fast pass.......for just that one ride. Add another 9 more each for Dumbo, Nemo, Small World, the Jungle Cruise and Mansion and you're waiting almost an extra hour due to the so called "fast" pass system.
    So if I save an hour getting a fastpass for Indy, but end up waiting longer for other rides, don't I just end up waiting the same amount of time as I would have prior to Fastpass?

    Hasn't the attendance at Disneyland also increased 20% since Fastpass was introduced? So wouldn't the lines be 20% longer with or without Fastpass?

  7. #52

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Here's the thing that is always brought up when someone says "FP makes the lines longer." We know exactly what happens when there's no Fastpass because we've had instances to see it. If you go to the park on a night when FP is not operational - the Halloween parties, (PAST) Grad Nites, etc. - the lines for the E tickets are just as long, if not longer, than they are in the daytime WITH FastPass. And that's with a much smaller population than the parks normally have. The rides that don't have lines during the day and are usually walk-ons or close to it, like Snow White, are more crowded. So it's hard to look at that and say "oh yes, lines would be shorter without FP!"

    The lines weren't shorter BEFORE Fastpass, and they're not shorter now at the events where FP is unavailable.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  8. #53

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Here's the thing that is always brought up when someone says "FP makes the lines longer." We know exactly what happens when there's no Fastpass because we've had instances to see it. If you go to the park on a night when FP is not operational - the Halloween parties, (PAST) Grad Nites, etc. - the lines for the E tickets are just as long, if not longer, than they are in the daytime WITH FastPass. And that's with a much smaller population than the parks normally have. The rides that don't have lines during the day and are usually walk-ons or close to it, like Snow White, are more crowded. So it's hard to look at that and say "oh yes, lines would be shorter without FP!"

    The lines weren't shorter BEFORE Fastpass, and they're not shorter now at the events where FP is unavailable.
    Special events like parties are not a good example for what the effect of the change away from them would be. Obviously all the E-tickets are going to have the longest lines at parties and grad nights especially when the crowd is all teenagers and parts of the parks aren't operating.

    Also, I think people's perception of the past is just being thrown off because on FP attractions standby lines often look shorter, but are actually quite long. Plus, there were no wait times posted, so people have a perception about where a line started being a representation of how long the line will be. That perception is no longer valid with FP and I think it makes people think they're somehow getting something for nothing. The reality is that what sleepyjeff has been saying is a mathematical fact and that the total capacity of the parks' rides is the only thing that will change the number of rides an average guest can experience.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  9. #54

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Plus, there were no wait times posted, so people have a perception about where a line started being a representation of how long the line will be.
    Wait times were most certainly posted along the queue. Little signs on poles that could be moved around. I can remember the line for Splash Mountain going through all switchbacks and the end of the line being in front of Haunted Mansion. It was like that for years. The posted wait time was usually 90 minutes+ in those days.

    I'm sorry, but people complaining about Radiator Springs Racers having a 2 hour wait obviously don't remember the days when every attraction - even Omnivovers had much longer wait times than currently.


    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney


  10. #55

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Special events like parties are not a good example for what the effect of the change away from them would be. Obviously all the E-tickets are going to have the longest lines at parties and grad nights especially when the crowd is all teenagers and parts of the parks aren't operating.

    Also, I think people's perception of the past is just being thrown off because on FP attractions standby lines often look shorter, but are actually quite long. Plus, there were no wait times posted, so people have a perception about where a line started being a representation of how long the line will be. That perception is no longer valid with FP and I think it makes people think they're somehow getting something for nothing. The reality is that what sleepyjeff has been saying is a mathematical fact and that the total capacity of the parks' rides is the only thing that will change the number of rides an average guest can experience.
    No, the Halloween parties have a very diverse range of families and ages; it's not just teenagers who want the coasters. Also, I mentioned that the non-thrill rides, all those A and B tickets like Snow White and such, sometimes have far longer lines at those events than they do on normal Fastpass days.

    Also, as far as I remember, the only land shut down at the Halloween parties was Toontown, which essentially meant that there were only two rides out of commission. Everything else was open and available. There were also meet and greets and dance parties and treat trails which probably accounted for the same (or more) number of people that would have been in Toontown.

    I don't think anyone's imagining what the lines were like before Fastpass - we remember them. We remember days of coming to the park and only getting to do a few rides because we spent so long on line for each attraction. We remember just staring at the backs of people's heads as we shuffled through line after line.

    I went to WDW and Disneyland in the late 80s when I was a kid, and they certainly DID have wait times listed. And you frequently saw the numbers 60, 90 and 120...or more...
    Last edited by Malina; 03-24-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  11. #56

    • ...and the Flowers Croon
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    154

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I'm sorry, but people complaining about Radiator Springs Racers having a 2 hour wait obviously don't remember the days when every attraction - even Omnivovers had much longer wait times than currently.
    I totally agree. I remember days in the 1970s and 1980s when lines were outrageous everywhere, for virtually all attractions, during peak season. Summers when the line for POTC wrapped and wrapped outdoors in a side queue with hastily thrown up tarps to provide a little shade, and when HM was a 90 minute proposition at most times of the day.

    The fact is, I can go to DL now, utilize FP, and the standby lines I do opt to wait in still aren't as long as they used to be, even factoring in the 20% increase in attendance. I attribute this partly to the fact that there's simply more to do at DL than there used to be, which distributes the crowds amongst more attractions, but I'm still a FP believer. It works, and I have 40+ years of park going experience to draw from here.

  12. #57

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Would YOU wait 105 minutes for Rocket Rods? We didn't have a choice!


    Name:  20110427_796-755_19_Rocket_Rods_Wait_Time_Signage.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  103.5 KB


    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney


  13. #58

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    396

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    If Fastpasses, were eliminated, everyone would be forced to go in the standby line. There would be a longer line.

    With Fastpasses, though, people have an option. Not everyone is forced to go in the standby line. The people that have fastpasses are just using the easier way. And if they didn't have fastpasses, they would be in the standby line. So either way, they would be holding up the line - they're just doing it differently with fastpasses.

    And it's not a concept that is open to a certain group. Obviously anyone can get a fastpass. So to those that say it's an unfair system, rethink that because everyone has the opportunity to get them.

  14. #59

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,496

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    I think there are two reason waits have dropped park wide.

    DCA
    and
    Meet and Greets
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

  15. #60

    • Seed and Mulch
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    566

    Re: What is your opinion on fastpasses?

    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I think there are two reason waits have dropped park wide.

    DCA
    and
    Meet and Greets
    Of course.


Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] So what's your opinion of CMs with sunglasses?
    By RatherBeAtDLand in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 09:36 PM
  2. [Question] What is your opinion of Michael Eisner and his legacy for WDW?
    By DragoHarley in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 07:35 PM
  3. What's your opinion.....???
    By wolfy in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-09-2006, 06:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •