Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• former CM

Disney's Aladdin is on Broadway so DCA can host M Poppins or the L King

If Disney's "Aladdin" can appear at the New Amsterdam theatre on Broadway,
    then 45-minute versions "Mary Poppins" and Julie Taymor's "The Lion King"
    can have 3-year runs in DCA.

For your convenience if you have one of the comments below you can just write 1, 2, or 3, and with #3 you can list the play you'd prefer.

1. "But I don't think 'The Lion King' would work at 45 minutes."

2. "But I love 'Aladdin,' and the Genie makes it fresh, and I want it to stay for ____more years."
    (How long has it been running in DCA, btw?)

3. "But I want 'Frozen,' 'Toy Story,' 'Pocahontas,' 'The Jungle Book,' 'Song of the South,' 'Snowball Express,' 'John Carter,' 'Cars 2' or ___ on stage."
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-23-2014 at 11:24 AM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Disney's Aladdin is on Broadway so DCA can host M Poppins or the L King

4. Or B and the Beast, or L Mermaid

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    4. Or B and the Beast, or L Mermaid
    Those would be good choices, but Ariel already has her attraction and restaurant,
    and Beauty & the Beast teaches girls that it's OK to stay with a guy who imprisoned your father and wouldn't let you leave the property if he changes later on.

And (to a Frozen fan who posts in the future), where will the Entertainment Division find actresses whose eyes are larger than their wrists? (Hey, just kidding! But it's true.)

I would be happy with either of those! I love Aladdin, but it's no longer a "must do" when visiting DCA. Frozen would be a good option too. Olaf might work as a character similar to Genie with one liners and new material all the time.
    I was definitely NOT excited about the Toy Story rumor a few years ago. Toy Story is great, but not as a musical.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by HatAndMouse View Post
    I would be happy with either of those!. . .
    Excellent! Then it's settled, and I expect Disney to send us free tickets for the premiers!

I think they should somehow change the theater so that it can be used for 2 shows at once. Aladdin twice a day and something else twice a day.

3. The Black Hole.

Reimagine it as all flying on wires and it could be like Cirque du Soleil. In space.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by superlarz View Post
    I think they should somehow change the theater so that it can be used for 2 shows at once. Aladdin twice a day and something else twice a day.
    I'd be content if great shows were replaced every three years instead of ten. Except for the Golden and Diamond Horseshoe Revues, which should have never stopped.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by superlarz View Post
    It'd probably be way easier to make them rotating seasonal shows. Something like a mix of BatB, Aladdin, Frozen, and Lion King rotating through every 4 months (with a 3 on, 1 off yearly schedule where a show would run 3 years in different spots, and take a year off) would allow the theater to stay fresh while causing enough of a change for people who visit less often (for example, if Aladdin started in the first Summer spot, it wouldn't show during the summer again until 4 years later).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    It'd probably be way easier to make them rotating seasonal shows. Something like a mix of BatB, Aladdin, Frozen, and Lion King rotating through every 4 months (with a 3 on, 1 off yearly schedule where a show would run 3 years in different spots, and take a year off) would allow the theater to stay fresh while causing enough of a change for people who visit less often (for example, if Aladdin started in the first Summer spot, it wouldn't show during the summer again until 4 years later).
    It would be a nightmare to cast these shows though. Would you work with the same cast in all of the shows or have four different casts, one for each of the shows? Either way would probably result in a lower quality cast. Having 1 actor play 4 different characters in 4 different shows would mean that they would not always be hiring the best actors for one role. At the moment you might an actor who, looks like, sings like, just does everything exactly how Aladdin does. Hopefully he would get cast as Aladdin if he auditioned. If that same actor also needs to play the Beast, Kristoff and Simba that guy who is perfect for Aladdin might not get cast because he wouldn't work as the other 3 characters. Now if you have 4 different casts, one for each show, it makes the job less desirable since you would only be working 1/4 of the year so this would put many people off, which in turn would lower the quality of the show.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    It would be a nightmare to cast these shows though. Would you work with the same cast in all of the shows or have four different casts, one for each of the shows? Either way would probably result in a lower quality cast. Having 1 actor play 4 different characters in 4 different shows would mean that they would not always be hiring the best actors for one role. At the moment you might an actor who, looks like, sings like, just does everything exactly how Aladdin does. Hopefully he would get cast as Aladdin if he auditioned. If that same actor also needs to play the Beast, Kristoff and Simba that guy who is perfect for Aladdin might not get cast because he wouldn't work as the other 3 characters. Now if you have 4 different casts, one for each show, it makes the job less desirable since you would only be working 1/4 of the year so this would put many people off, which in turn would lower the quality of the show.
    Yeah, it's stuff like this that makes me figure that you could only change the show out ever 1-2 years. Anything less than that and you run into all kinds of logistical issues.

Lion King please!

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by HatAndMouse View Post
    I was definitely NOT excited about the Toy Story rumor a few years ago. Toy Story is great, but not as a musical.
    I wouldn't make assumptions. Who would have thought Finding Nemo would make a good musical, but it was fantastic! I wouldn't mind having that in place of Aladdin and it would be an easy change since it already exists, script, music, costumes, etc.

Personally, I'd like to see something new, as long as it's well done. Lion King and BatB both have touring productions and can be seen in various locations throughout the year (both also have stage shows at WDW) plus Belle has her short PFF show at DL. So my vote would have to be for Frozen, with Olaf being the comedic break like the Genie.

• Under that tree again!

I will not be sad to see Aladdin go.

Any Disney property that replaces it in a Broadway show style is fine.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

I still want to see a show based on classic scenes from classic movies... Singing in the Rain, Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins, My Fair Lady, etc. It would be like a musical stage version of the Great Movie Ride... which fits perfectly with the Hollywood theme.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast