Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you expect any major announcements for DLR in the next 2 years?

With all the discussion lately over Frozen, Star Wars, Marvel and Tomorrowland, I've been wondering what everyone's opinion is in regards to how those rumors relate to the end of Iger's reign.

Bob Iger's record as the face, leader, head of Disney over the last decade has brought on some monster changes with Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, DCA 2.0, New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom, Avatar at Animal Kingdom, Shanghai Disneyland, Aulani, along with big projects in Paris and Hong Kong. He has done some tremendous things for the company, but his time is coming to a close.

My question then is this: does ANYONE expect the board, with potential CEO's among them, to approve any major projects in the next two years, knowing that Iger would get the credit? Likewise, would Iger even propose anything new knowing that he might get the blame for a failure (like MyMagic+)?

I get the distinct impression that nothing will happen that hasn't already been announced (Avatar, Shanghai) until we have a new face of Disney. So all the talk about new rides or replacing rides or new developments is all hogwash until 2016.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Re: Do you expect any major announcements for DLR in the next 2 years?

Something may be announced within that timeframe, but construction (if there were any) probably wouldn't start until after that.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Down Pluto!

Finally they will publicly admit to never again green lighting any attraction in Disneyland not based on a currently popular movie franchise.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Under that tree again!

I expect the next big thing to come out during D23 Expo, which is in 2015.

Shanghai and Avatarland, will be wrapped up.

We may hear about construction of the HKDL second gate beforehand.

New Cruise ship(s) I think is likely.

DHS need something next in WDW, but something for Epcot could happen.

WDS in Paris will need more than this year's Ratatouille attraction.

DLR is probably a little lower on the list.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
    • Minion

In the next two years hmmmmm I would say no. I have no reasons as to why except they dumped a bunch of money into DLR in the past 10 years so now they can sit back and collect money. They will probably want to see how the new Star Wars and Avengers movies do before committing to putting more of that in the park if I had to guess.Both of those come out next year 2015. So then 2016 they can mock up something for the park and get it approved and announce it in 2017 at the D23 expo assuming they have another with construction starting shortly after that.

• Senior Minion

I'd be pretty shocked if nothing was announced for DLR in the next two years. That would mean nothing major new until around 2019 at least. I really don't see them going 7 years between major projects unless they've concluded that DLR is no longer capable of supporting growth. If that happens, well, then you have to start worrying that it's becoming time for Disney to sell the parks.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• film975

Saving big announcements for next year's D23 Expo sounds the most plausible to me. Last year's expo was very light on theme park stuff. Although the celebrating the 60th Anniversary of Walt Disney Imagineering was a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Saving big announcements for next year's D23 Expo sounds the most plausible to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I expect the next big thing to come out during D23 Expo, which is in 2015.

I just really don't think they would make a major announcement of any construction/expansion/redo of anything 4 months before the CEO is swapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    So then 2016 they can mock up something for the park and get it approved and announce it in 2017 at the D23 expo assuming they have another with construction starting shortly after that.

This seems much more plausible in relation to the Iger turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    That would mean nothing major new until around 2019 at least.
    Sadly, that's what I'm thinking.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lightofdarkness View Post
    I just really don't think they would make a major announcement of any construction/expansion/redo of anything 4 months before the CEO is swapped out.

This seems much more plausible in relation to the Iger turnover.

Sadly, that's what I'm thinking.
    Personally, I think you're way overestimating the importance of the CEO.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

One would hope not. The concepts coming out during Iger's era have been pretty terrible. I would roll the dice that we sit tight until he leaves, in hopes that his replacement spurs WDI onto better work.

Aren't there some empty/underutilized spaces back in the corners of DCA? It seems like a smart thing would be to put another old-school darkride in one of them to help further flesh out that park. Even with Cars & LM, its ride list is pathetic compared to DL, and it would do wonders for that park to build up its equivalent of DL's classic FL line-up of 5, 3 minute tracked darkrides. Not all in one area, obviously, and still relatively cheap enough to get greenlighted without a lot of attention from the board & CEO.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Personally, I think you're way overestimating the importance of the CEO.
    It's not as much about Iger, it's more about any board member or upper management personnel that would be involved in a major development having the possibility of getting that position. If you're Staggs or Sandberg, and you know that any major project approved would be your responsibility to complete, but you wouldn't get the credit for a success or you would be completely blamed for the failure, would you vote for or support a major project in the next two years?

• Former Churro Jockey

Are you thinking only about rides? Because although Tomorrowland desperately needs a makeover, I think the #1 priority for Disney in Anaheim needs to be hotel space and parking. When you look at how full the Grand Californian always is, I think there is clearly enough demand for a 2nd deluxe hotel (with it's requisite DVC wing), and I'd prefer Disney to be a little bit proactive for once and build some extra parking space BEFORE they start rennovating Tomorrowland or building a 3rd park so that when the extra crowds do show up there is plenty of space for them.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Are you thinking only about rides? Because although Tomorrowland desperately needs a makeover, I think the #1 priority for Disney in Anaheim needs to be hotel space and parking. When you look at how full the Grand Californian always is, I think there is clearly enough demand for a 2nd deluxe hotel (with it's requisite DVC wing), and I'd prefer Disney to be a little bit proactive for once and build some extra parking space BEFORE they start rennovating Tomorrowland or building a 3rd park so that when the extra crowds do show up there is plenty of space for them.
    That, I could see. Infrastructure building, but not attractions. Any potential CEO would vote for that, and Iger would have very little to risk as far as legacy. I see a parking effort much more likely than a hotel though, as a hotel would take a lot of effort with the city (not so much any resistance, just the time it would take to jump through all the hoops that are typical hurdles).

•   

I think they are going to announce on Disneyland 59 birthday july 17 2014 for plans for next year 60th anniversary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast