Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: More thrill rides please.

Quote Originally Posted by monster heck View Post
    Time to tear down Space Mountain, Matterhorn, and BTMRR...
    Um, these rides are all less physically intense then Gold Rusher, MM's least intense coaster. They're hardly Formula 1, they're more like a Camry with a V6.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    "I believe our idea was to have a family park where the parents and the children could have fun together"

~Walt Disney
    Nothing here would cause a properly themed thrill ride from being out of place at Disneyland. Not every family has 3 year olds running around. Some families are young adults and teenagers who like thrills... shouldnt they be included? Disneyland as a park should be a place that families of all types can go together and have a great day as a family. That in no way means thrill rides should not be part of the plan. I hope they add a wide variety of attractions moving forward, making Disneyland a place for everyone

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    One is enough to dispel the quote.
    How so?

Ok, name 1.

I wouldn't expect him to physically do it himself, but an attraction was built under his tenure that by design prohibits certain demographics from being able to enjoy it. Enough said.
    Not enough said..........the Matterhorn had no height restrictions until many years after Walt's death. The only restriction was that the child had to be 3 years old. Consequently, that means your 3 year old could have experienced the Matterhorn back in Walt's day.

I think they have succeeded at this. It doesn't mean that each and every attraction must automatically be something all age groups can enjoy.
    You are incorrect.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Not enough said..........the Matterhorn had no height restrictions until many years after Walt's death. The only restriction was that the child had to be 3 years old. Consequently, that means your 3 year old could have experienced the Matterhorn back in Walt's day.
    I stand corrected. My 3 year old could have rode it, but my TWO year old couldn't. He's part of my family too. I guess he would have been out of luck.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I stand corrected. My 3 year old could have rode it, but my TWO year old couldn't. He's part of my family too. I guess he would have been out of luck.
    Fair point.

Walt's quote says nothing about individual attractions, it was in reference to the park. He built The Matterhorn and it was absolutely not meant for toddlers.

Uncle Bob and superlarz make great points, Walt didn't mean every single attraction was for every single person from newborn to senior citizen. But he made the vast majority of the park something most everyone could enjoy. And he succeeded brilliantly.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by 5150pirate View Post
    High speed sate of the art coasters with interactive queues.
    There are better ways to do Marvel than bare unthemed coasters. Take a ride like Pirates and put in superhero animatronics. Give it a plot and let people enjoy having a play acted out in front of them as they drift slowly through the ride.

If the ride is to be a coaster, then more than just the queue needs to be themed. The ride itself should have theme elements all around. Look at the Matterhorn. It is a coaster, but the track is totally hidden from view from the rest of the park. While on the ride, the track blends in with the other theme elements. If you want something more thrilling, look at Everest in Florida. It is the same thing, and one of the best photo spots in Animal Kingdom is the photopass location with Everest in the background. That is how well a Marvel coaster must be made to fit into the park, so it becomes part of the scenery. Nobody wants their picture taken in front of a giant steel skeleton.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Um, these rides are all less physically intense then Gold Rusher, MM's least intense coaster. They're hardly Formula 1, they're more like a Camry with a V6.
    I have one of those! It can go fast, and at times with me driving it can be a thrill ride -but still it is suitable for my whole family...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• MaliBOOMer

"I believe our idea was to have a family park where the parents and the children could have fun together"

~Walt Disney
    Kids like thrill rides too. I know I rode anything I was tall enough for. By the time I was eight that was everything.

In fact I didn't enjoy rides like Pirates until I was older. I know on my first visit when I was five (just before DCA opened) I was all about Indiana Jones and Space Mountain.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• formerly very helpful

There's a place in Valencia for that.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The most thrilling ride in Orange County involves an FAA approved noise abatement procedure

That's another point. All families are different. Not all families that visit Disneyland have toddlers. I have friends whose family couldn't take the whole family until the youngest was about 7 years old. The families that do have toddlers and infants have plenty of rides that don't have restrictions.

Just because a large amount of Disneyland's guests are smaller children, that shouldn't (and hasn't) stop Disney from creating rides that are aimed towards an older generation.

Many older people (myself included) can have a fulfilling trip to Disneyland with nothing but dark rides, but there are countless people/families that also want a splash of thrill in their visits.
    The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!

If I was going to do a thrill ride, it would be a California version of Expedition Everest in DCA. Theme it to an abandoned gold mine camp in the High Sierra mountains, with Bigfoot replacing the Yeti.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    Walt's quote says nothing about individual attractions, it was in reference to the park. He built The Matterhorn and it was absolutely not meant for toddlers.

Uncle Bob and superlarz make great points, Walt didn't mean every single attraction was for every single person from newborn to senior citizen. But he made the vast majority of the park something most everyone could enjoy. And he succeeded brilliantly.
    Exactly the park is supposed to have something for everyone. Since thrill rides are enjoyed by a lot of people they have a place in Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    If I was going to do a thrill ride, it would be a California version of Expedition Everest in DCA. Theme it to an abandoned gold mine camp in the High Sierra mountains, with Bigfoot replacing the Yeti.
    Maybe we could get our very own disco Sasquatch.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Of course the parks were meant to be enjoyed by families. But what's the harm in putting one ride in targeted toward those that want a true thrill ride? Not every single thing has to be super family oriented. Yes, there is Screamin' and Tower and Space and Thunder and the works. But if there's another ride that's well-themed and still a thrill ride, more so than Thunder and Space, etc, then what's the problem?

The different between Knott's/MM and Disney is that Disney is well known for creating a well-themed ride. While people go to Knott's for thrill, they know that those rides can't touch Disney's thematically. And Disney is the only one that can create the feeling of being totally immersed in a ride.

What's wrong with a combination of both at a Disney park?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast