Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• MaliBOOMer

Re: More thrill rides please.

Quote Originally Posted by hollyray View Post
    Of course the parks were meant to be enjoyed by families. But what's the harm in putting one ride in targeted toward those that want a true thrill ride? Not every single thing has to be super family oriented. Yes, there is Screamin' and Tower and Space and Thunder and the works. But if there's another ride that's well-themed and still a thrill ride, more so than Thunder and Space, etc, then what's the problem?

The different between Knott's/MM and Disney is that Disney is well known for creating a well-themed ride. While people go to Knott's for thrill, they know that those rides can't touch Disney's thematically. And Disney is the only one that can create the feeling of being totally immersed in a ride.

What's wrong with a combination of both at a Disney park?
    This is something I would love to see! Plus another thing you would get from an extreme ride at Disneyland you don't see at Magic Mountain is operational efficiency. The load/unload at Magic Mountain can be painfully slow. The lines could move a lot quicker if they had better operations.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Under that tree again!

In this idea of mine linked below, I am adding 3 thrilling E tickets to Tomorrowland. 2 have been described so far. These are attractions that use speed/force/height to induce fear for thrill.

My Blue Sky Tomorrowland.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 03-24-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

While I don't believe that Disney should cater specifically to thrill seekers, I do find the list below to be evidence that they do put stuff out for those kinds of crowds

1) California Screamin'
    2) Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
    3) Rock N Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
    4) Mission Space (Orange to be specific)
    5) Space Mountain (Paris version)

It's not like Disney completely ignores that "genre" of ride, I mean I feel like a good number of people would feel the list above is fairly representative of "thrill rides" in general (they certainly aren't children's rides). Note that all of the domestic attractions are not in Magic Kingdom style parks, they are all at the other "second gates" DCA, Studios, Animal Kingdom, and EPCOT. I'm okay with ONE or TWO more high thrill rides at most, as long as they theme it well (like Tower and RNRC) and put it in DCA or a third gate, I would not want to see it in Disneyland. Granted that California Screamin' is not really "themed" but the theme that its based on has limitations but Disney does address the thrill issue at the resorts and at the end of the day its providing something for everyone in the family, not favoring one group over the other.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

Disney parks are so unique because of the way they immerse you into the stories. It's not about thrills. There is just enough rides with "thrill" in them with AWESOME stories. If you want thrilling rides all day everyday go to Six Flags then and suck it up.

Personally I don't think Disney should ever try to compete in the pure thrill business. The problem with thrill rides is that it's an arms race. Six Flags and other regional parks have to build new, more thrilling rides every couple years to keep the thrill seekers happy. With the level of detail and quality the we have come to expect from Disney rides there is no way they could roll out new rides at that pace and not sacrifice detail.

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    Please explain why certain attractions with height restrictions were built under Walt's watch? My 3 year old can't ride Matterhorn.

I don't think this quote was meant to be taken quite that literally. I know plenty of people who take their kids to the park and never once get on a ride themselves, my own mother is one of these people. In the countless trips we made as kids the only attractions she ever went on were Haunted Mansion and Pirates. I don't think she ever felt like she was missing out.
    I agree with this, his goal was a place where there was something for everybody, and a lot of things that every could ride together, but not a place where every ride was suitable for every single member of the family. The story is that he got this idea when he would take his daughter to the park and sit on a bench while she road the carousel. What was one of the opening day rides at DL? A Carousel.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, I love Disneyland the way it is and I would not want to add too many more thrill rides there, but I'd be fine with some kind of an Adventure park that focuses more on thrills that is a seperate park. A rollr coaster is not a great medium for telling a story (Expedition Everest being the biggest exception that I can think of), but Disney has proven that they can be pretty innovative when they want to. Star Tours, Indy and Tower all have great storylines and are very immersive. So I'd love some kind of thrill park if for no other reason then to see what Disney can come up with when given the oppertunity.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

It may be hard to believe nowadays but in the 70s all three area parks were remarkably competitive with each other for coaster thrills. The big iron in each park was as follows:

Disneyland - Matterhorn (1959), Space Mountain (1977), Big Thunder (1979).
    Knott's Berry Farm - Corkscrew (1975), Cycle Chase (1976), Montezooma's Revenge (1978).
    Magic Mountain (pre Six Flags) - Gold Rusher (1971), Mountain Express (1973), Revolution (1976), Colossus (1978).

Not as big of a difference as you see now. Disneyland had as many coasters as Knott's and only one less than Magic Mountain.

I should also add that before they put the brakes on the Mad Tea Party you could spin them like, well, mad, and the Rocket Jets were pretty thrilling when they were sticking way up in the air over the PeopleMover station, but those are essentially both gone.
    Last edited by bigcatrik; 03-26-2014 at 07:30 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by 5150pirate View Post
    After a recent trip to both, Magic Mountain and Knott's Berry Farm, I have been thinking, since the arrival of Marvel in the park, wouldn't it be nice to see Disney take the parking lot behind paradise pier and do a thrill ride park based on Marvel Characters. High speed sate of the art coasters with interactive queues. Extend the monorail out to make a stop there as well as putting a station stop in at California Adventure. After visiting MM and KBF my views on Disney's cost to visit the resort have changed. The cast members were very rude, unhappy and a displeasure to deal with at both parks as well as both parks being dirty and stinky, not to mention the line structure being a logistical challenge. I would like to see Disney show them how it's really done. I no longer complain about the cost associated with visiting a Disney Park. What are your thoughts?
    are you talking about the Disney parks when you say "The cast members were very rude, unhappy and a displeasure to deal with at both parks as well as both parks being dirty and stinky, not to mention the line structure being a logistical challenge."? It would be great if Disney built a park that was entirely thrill rides. Disney parks don't have enough thrill rides and way too many dark rides. They could theme it either Marvel, or even Disney Villains. I would love to see a park like that from Disney. The last time I went to Six Flags Magic Mountain and Knott's Berry Farm, they were okay. Not as good as Disney, but they really are trying.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    That would be the worst thing that Disney could do with Marvel. It would be playing right into what most Disney fans fear a Marvel Park will be like. But as Regions said, Disney needs to produce highly themed Marvel experiences that exceed what Universal has done in the past.
    What would you consider a Marvel worthy park? A bunch of dark rides?

• Banned User

Please explain why certain attractions with height restrictions were built under Walt's watch? My 3 year old can't ride Matterhorn.

I don't think this quote was meant to be taken quite that literally. I know plenty of people who take their kids to the park and never once get on a ride themselves, my own mother is one of these people. In the countless trips we made as kids the only attractions she ever went on were Haunted Mansion and Pirates. I don't think she ever felt like she was missing out.
    I can't tell if you're joking or not. Of course your 3 year old cannot ride Matterhorn, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been built. I don't think Disneyland was made for little kids anyway. If your kid can't walk why would you bring them to Disneyland? That makes no sense. So there's now a swarm of strollers taking up space.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by madgei View Post
    Disney parks are so unique because of the way they immerse you into the stories. It's not about thrills. There is just enough rides with "thrill" in them with AWESOME stories. If you want thrilling rides all day everyday go to Six Flags then and suck it up.
    The story was about having a Marvel themed thrill ride park. Nobody is saying to put thrill coasters in Disneyland. There's no room first of all. There's nothing wrong with a park of thrill rides at the Disneyland Resort. If you're not a fan of coasters, you don't have to go.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    No, I want it to be a Disney style park, not a Six Flags park. I don't buy that an extreme thrill park can be built at a reasonable cost and meet Disney's standards for quality and theming. Also, what's the point of building a third gate that most of the people visiting the other gates wouldn't be as interested in visiting? The whole point of multiple gates is to create multi-day guests. Plus, the thrill audience, (Teens and young Adults) typically don't have money. A Marvel park should have more thrills then DL, but it should also be balanced in a way that makes it a destination for all ages. Aiming a Disney park at too small of an audience will fail to attract the number of guests it requires to fund a park of that scale.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I can't tell if you're joking or not. Of course your 3 year old cannot ride Matterhorn, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been built. I don't think Disneyland was made for little kids anyway. If your kid can't walk why would you bring them to Disneyland? That makes no sense. So there's now a swarm of strollers taking up space.
    Please go back and read the original post. It will make more sense.

No, I wasn't joking. My 3 year old can't ride Matterhorn, an attraction built by Walt. If Walt truly meant for all ages to enjoy his attractions then he wouldn't have built something that my child couldn't ride.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• -

I don't think Disneyland was made for little kids anyway.
    You do realize it was made to be a family park and that families contain kids right?

If your kid can't walk why would you bring them to Disneyland?
    Why wouldn’t someone bring their kid to Disneyland?

How about a nice mix of “dark” and “thrill” rides like Disneyland. “Thrill rides” meaning rides like Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn, Radiator Springs Racers… fun thrills and excellent theming, not giant steel skeletons like Magic Mountain with a superhero name slapped on the side of the ride.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Please go back and read the original post. It will make more sense.

No, I wasn't joking. My 3 year old can't ride Matterhorn, an attraction built by Walt. If Walt truly meant for all ages to enjoy his attractions then he wouldn't have built something that my child couldn't ride.

When Walt built it a 3 year old could ride it.......how was he to know that someone would come along later and add an extra car and therefore make the ride wilder than what it was when he was running things?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast