Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Minion

Re: More thrill rides please.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    When Walt built it a 3 year old could ride it.......how was he to know that someone would come along later and add an extra car and therefore make the ride wilder than what it was when he was running things?
    I was responding to someone else that used a previous post of mine out of context. You and I have already settled on the fact that a 2 year old couldn't ride Matterhorn in its original state. Do we really need to go back and forth on that again?
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Meh

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    "I believe our idea was to have a family park where the parents and the children could have fun together"

~Walt Disney
    This^
    Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

How about a nice mix of “dark” and “thrill” rides like Disneyland. “Thrill rides” meaning rides like Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn, Radiator Springs Racers… fun thrills and excellent theming, not giant steel skeletons like Magic Mountain with a superhero name slapped on the side of the ride.[/QUOTE]
    This.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    How about a nice mix of “dark” and “thrill” rides like Disneyland. “Thrill rides” meaning rides like Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn, Radiator Springs Racers… fun thrills and excellent theming, not giant steel skeletons like Magic Mountain with a superhero name slapped on the side of the ride.
    Radiator Springs Racers is hardly a thrill ride. It's very slow and gentle.

How about more thrill rides like Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster. Excellent theming and at the same time very thrilling. I don't think anyone was suggesting anything less than excellent theming. I think that was the whole point, they love extreme thrills you get at Six Flags. However they want to see it combined with the quality you see at Disneyland (not only theme but efficiency in operations). I do not see why people are so apposed to this? It's not like they are saying rip out Haunted Mansion and build X2.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

How about more thrill rides like Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster. Excellent theming and at the same time very thrilling. I don't think anyone was suggesting anything less than excellent theming. I think that was the whole point, they love extreme thrills you get at Six Flags. However they want to see it combined with the quality you see at Disneyland (not only theme but efficiency in operations). I do not see why people are so apposed to this? It's not like they are saying rip out Haunted Mansion and build X2.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying essentially replace rides like Space Mountain with say the Paris Version that has a linear induction launch and 3 loops? I mean I get what you're saying that those attractions in the context of Disney are considered thrills but that they pale in comparison to rides at Knott's and Six Flag's? I'm not opposed to having thrill rides in the parks, but I think that it should definitely have a smaller presence than the other "family rides" that are the target essentially for Disney. I mean Knott's Berry Farm at one time was a pretty nice theme park until the "big invasion of thrill rides". In the process I personally feel like the KBF lost its appeal (which they are making an attempt to get back at the moment) because all it became was a large thrill rides and trying to cater to older audiences rather than focusing on the family as a whole. It's also the same reason why I'd pick Disneyland over my local park (California's Great America) any day even though I do love rides like Gold Striker and X2.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying essentially replace rides like Space Mountain with say the Paris Version that has a linear induction launch and 3 loops? I mean I get what you're saying that those attractions in the context of Disney are considered thrills but that they pale in comparison to rides at Knott's and Six Flag's? I'm not opposed to having thrill rides in the parks, but I think that it should definitely have a smaller presence than the other "family rides" that are the target essentially for Disney. I mean Knott's Berry Farm at one time was a pretty nice theme park until the "big invasion of thrill rides". In the process I personally feel like the KBF lost its appeal (which they are making an attempt to get back at the moment) because all it became was a large thrill rides and trying to cater to older audiences rather than focusing on the family as a whole. It's also the same reason why I'd pick Disneyland over my local park (California's Great America) any day even though I do love rides like Gold Striker and X2.
    I'm not saying replace anything. I'm saying it would be nice if the next major ride packed a punch.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Minion

I'm not saying replace anything. I'm saying it would be nice if the next major ride packed a punch.
    Okay, thanks for clarifying. Yeah I wouldn't mind them adding a new ride that packed some thrill, I'm guessing something having to do with Marvel or Star Wars is likely.

• Senior Minion

I too would welcome a new thrill ride in either park. I'd also have no problem with something that pushed the thrill level a little further then what Disney has done in California so far. I would also love to see a third gate with more thrills then the existing gates. I just question the idea of an entire park focused primarily on thrill rides. If the park is a little more tilted towards thrill, but still has enough for people of all ages, then I'm all for it.

The best thrill rides and the ones that draw people are the big coasters. Like I said before, doing big coasters Disney style is very expensive and Disney doesn't have tons of space in Anaheim. Even doing a highly themed thrilling flat ride or something like that would be pretty expensive. Plus, by focusing on thrills, at the same time you're reducing your potential audience . I just don't see how you would be able to make that pencil out.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

If California Screamin', Tower of Terror, and Splash Mountain consistently posted 45+ minute waits from open to close then I definitely would make a strong argument for adding a corkscrew/loop or two to Space Mountain/a new Star Wars coaster for Tomorrow Land. The reality is all the most intense rides at the resort have some of the shortest waits(Splash Mountain being an exception but that long wait is only for the 3-7 hottest hours of the day.) One of the reasons Maliboomer was removed was the intensity and the accompanying height requirement: 54'', the highest in the history of the resort. I doubt we'll see something at the resort more intense than Screamin' or Maliboomer until Knotts goes bankrupt and/or a 3rd gate gets built. However, the specter of DCA 1.0 will haunt the planners of the 3rd gate so I doubt they'll repeat the mistake of an abysmal family to thrill ride ratio.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    If California Screamin', Tower of Terror, and Splash Mountain consistently posted 45+ minute waits from open to close then I definitely would make a strong argument for adding a corkscrew/loop or two to Space Mountain/a new Star Wars coaster for Tomorrow Land. The reality is all the most intense rides at the resort have some of the shortest waits(Splash Mountain being an exception but that long wait is only for the 3-7 hottest hours of the day.) One of the reasons Maliboomer was removed was the intensity and the accompanying height requirement: 54'', the highest in the history of the resort. I doubt we'll see something at the resort more intense than Screamin' or Maliboomer until Knotts goes bankrupt and/or a 3rd gate gets built. However, the specter of DCA 1.0 will haunt the planners of the 3rd gate so I doubt they'll repeat the mistake of an abysmal family to thrill ride ratio.
    That is a good point, mean while thrill rides of a "lower intensity" such as Star Tours, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones or the Matterhorn consistently post long wait times through out the day where as as you mention rides that are "scarier" tend to fluctuate significantly throughout the day. California Screamin' and Splash have a good line through the peak hours of the day but Tower is pretty much empty everytime I'm there, I have yet to see a wait time longer than 15 minutes in person.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    That is a good point, mean while thrill rides of a "lower intensity" such as Star Tours, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones or the Matterhorn consistently post long wait times through out the day where as as you mention rides that are "scarier" tend to fluctuate significantly throughout the day. California Screamin' and Splash have a good line through the peak hours of the day but Tower is pretty much empty everytime I'm there, I have yet to see a wait time longer than 15 minutes in person.
    I would have agreed with you about ToT before Cars Land opened. But just about every time I've been to the parks since then I've seen it be close to an hour during the day and as long as 95 minutes at night. (RSR was listed at 240 minutes that night.) But I don't go nearly as often as many others on here, so maybe I just had some bad luck.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I would have agreed with you about ToT before Cars Land opened. But just about every time I've been to the parks since then I've seen it be close to an hour during the day and as long as 95 minutes at night. (RSR was listed at 240 minutes that night.) But I don't go nearly as often as many others on here, so maybe I just had some bad luck.
    That is true, I have noticed the spike in the wait times for TOT on apps and websites, but I just have never seen it in person before exceeding 15 minutes or so, though it would actually help if I went on TOT, since I haven't been on since Racers opened so that might be why I've never seen it that long before, but usually walking by I see about 15 minutes. In general for the thrill rides of DCA (Screamin, Tower, Sky School, Grizzly River), the average wait time has gone up quite a bit since the opening of the "new" DCA in 2012 and the numbers show that DCA attendance in general has gone up significantly (some days competing very closely with Disneyland Park traffic wise) and I have a feeling that they have become the "beacons" of the park, since DCA was supposed to be a high energy park from the beginning anyway, some of which has diminished but in my mind is still a more thrilling park.

• -

Slow? You do realize that next to CA Screamin’ it is the fastest ride at the resort, right? I would hardly call that slow when it beats out all the other E-tickets. Matterhorn, Space Mountain, and Thunder Mountain never get as fast as the racers.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Former Churro Jockey

By the way, while we are talking about this, does anyone else want to see Space Mountain 2.0 brought over to DL whenever they get around to making over Tomorrowland? It looks so darn cool to me, and I don't really see any logistical reason why they couldn't do it. Plus I'm a big fan of the launch-style roller coaster. In fact, even though I enjoy all roller coasters, Montezuma's Revenge is actually my absolute favorite (partly for the launch and partly for the 10-minute average wait time).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    By the way, while we are talking about this, does anyone else want to see Space Mountain 2.0 brought over to DL whenever they get around to making over Tomorrowland? It looks so darn cool to me, and I don't really see any logistical reason why they couldn't do it. Plus I'm a big fan of the launch-style roller coaster. In fact, even though I enjoy all roller coasters, Montezuma's Revenge is actually my absolute favorite (partly for the launch and partly for the 10-minute average wait time).
    I'd rather they build RnRC from DHS, with a different theme in Hollywood Land.

Using stage 17 to queue and load it would launch behind Monster's Inc, and the main show building would be where Stage 12 is.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast