Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: More thrill rides please.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    ^The same number of thrill rides spread across twice as many parks just doesn't have the same impact on your daily experience. It's quite easy to go on every one of those attractions in one day at DLR while it would be nearly impossible or at least very difficult to do at WDW.

True, but who goes to WDW for just one day

Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    Didn't really expect my post to be sassily dissected sentence by sentence...but, when in Rome!

Haunted Mansion and Pirates are indeed genius! But so is Indiana Jones.

Meet & Greets are popular. But again, the only point I was trying to make is that without "thrill rides," Disneyland would not function and would not sell. The kids in line at the meet & greets would grow older and not be interested in Disneyland anymore.

As for the holidays...you're right. It's about the whole experience. I never said anything about Disney magic being unimportant, which I think is another thing people immediately assume when the term "thrill ride" is brought up. But, just to be a bit of a Scrooge, it also has to do with people not having work...

And finally, as for WDW, what Uncle Bob posted was my point. You can't go to a WDW park and get the same punch you get at DLR.

So basically, I actually don't think DLR necessarily needs any more thrill rides. I'm just saying we shouldn't immediately fear that Disney is becoming Six Flags.
    Fair enough*

*If you are familiar with my postings around here you know that this is a very big compliment.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• The Pumpkin King

Ever since I was a kid, I didn't like huge thrill rides, and now that I'm an adult I still don't like them. Hell, I once cried from being scared after getting off space mountain when my mom forced me to go on it because she thought I would like (I do now) since I liked Thunder mountain. The only "Big" Coaster I will ever go on is California Screamin or Revolution at Magic Mountain. Other than that, the thrill rides at Disneyland are enough thrill for me to enjoy.

So Knotts and Magic Mountain are not my thing

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    The reality is all the most intense rides at the resort have some of the shortest waits(Splash Mountain being an exception but that long wait is only for the 3-7 hottest hours of the day.) One of the reasons Maliboomer was removed was the intensity and the accompanying height requirement: 54'', the highest in the history of the resort. I doubt we'll see something at the resort more intense than Screamin' or Maliboomer until Knotts goes bankrupt and/or a 3rd gate gets built. However, the specter of DCA 1.0 will haunt the planners of the 3rd gate so I doubt they'll repeat the mistake of an abysmal family to thrill ride ratio.
    This logic is kind of bizarre. To equate "short" waits- and I put short in parentheses because that could be easily argued- with a lack of popularity would imply that Pirates is a practically a flop.

Quote Originally Posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
    This logic is kind of bizarre. To equate "short" waits- and I put short in parentheses because that could be easily argued- with a lack of popularity would imply that Pirates is a practically a flop.
    Somebody hasn't been around NOS or Frontierland recently. However, I think part of the issue is Big Thunder's 5 trains output a ton of guests per hour and guests have less reason to journey to Adventureland with Indy down, Fantasyland with Small World and Alice Down, and Tomorrowland with Nemo down. So recently we've been seeing longer lines at Haunted Mansion and Pirates since NOS is absorbing Big Thunder's output.

I think low output attractions with short waits can easily be called unpopular. Jumpin' Jellyfish, Bugs Land, Muppets, and Pinnochio's Daring Journey easily fall into this category. I'm also tempted to throw in Luigi's Flying Tires and Snow White but these both occasionally get longer lines.

High output attractions with long lines like Radiator Springs Racers and Space Mountain can definitely be called popular. Toy Story's and Star Tours' medium level outputs coupled with their long lines also make me put them in the popular category.

The tricky part is dealing with higher wait, low capacity attractions and lower wait, high capacity attractions. Mermaid, Mr. Lincoln, the Tiki Room, It's Tough to be a Bug, and The Disneyland Railroad can all generate insanely high outputs every day but we all know they don't. Dumbo's wait would probably get cut in half overnight if Astro Orbiter were transplanted to the old Motorboat Cruise area with Frozen/Rapunzel/Disney Fairies vehicles and overlay. The waits for Ana and Elsa would probably be 30 minutes or less if their hours were extended and/or they appeared in Soundsational and/or Mickey and the Magical Map. Casey Jr. regularly doesn't run two trains since there isn't demand to justify the extra maintenance/staffing costs. Heimlich's Chew-Chew train, Flik's Flyers, and Red Car Trolley could all be re-designed to increase outputs by 30-80% but there isn't demand to justify the refurbishment, retraining, and extra staffing costs. Disney knows nobody is demanding a shorter wait for Heimlich and Casey Jr. They also know the long wait for Ana and Elsa aren't lowering their multi-day ticket and merchandise sales, especially since they're struggling to have enough Elsa dresses in stock to begin with.

• Former Churro Jockey

Don't forget, Disney created a brand new super innovative roller coaster system using different brake zones to allow for multiple trains on a track at the same time, so every thrill ride is loading and unloading constantly. Compare that with several of the roller coasters at Knotts for example that only have one or two cars on the track, and so something like Xcelerator (which might have the slowest moving line on the planet) might have a lot longer line then Big Thunder on an average day, but I'd be willing to bet that Big Thunder actually has more guests per day then Xcelerator.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Don't forget, Disney created a brand new super innovative roller coaster system using different brake zones to allow for multiple trains on a track at the same time, so every thrill ride is loading and unloading constantly. Compare that with several of the roller coasters at Knotts for example that only have one or two cars on the track, and so something like Xcelerator (which might have the slowest moving line on the planet) might have a lot longer line then Big Thunder on an average day, but I'd be willing to bet that Big Thunder actually has more guests per day then Xcelerator.
    Exactly why I would love to see more extreme rides at Disneyland, they know how to move crowds. Magic Mountain can be a mentally exhausting experience as a result of their snails pace operation.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Exactly why I would love to see more extreme rides at Disneyland, they know how to move crowds. Magic Mountain can be a mentally exhausting experience as a result of their snails pace operation.
    Never been to Magic Mountain but I hear they're pretty lame in terms of only running one train per coaster in the off-season and not grouping guests row by row. Screamin' has one of the highest outputs of any roller coaster in the world because they use a grouper or two and consistently run 3-5 trains year round.

Somebody mentioned Rock'n Roller Coaster for Hollywoodland but the smart move would be to save an indoor coaster for where it's drastically needed: the 3rd gate. When you consider how someone's backyard could literally back up the park, there's no way any outdoor coaster, thrill ride or drop tower could be built at the 3rd gate. Also, KUKA robot arm exclusivity deals will expire by the time ground gets broken for a 3rd gate so that's another thrill ride for you at the 3rd gate. If the technology for EMVS(Indy and Dinosaur) improves, we could also see that kind of thrill ride at a 3rd gate. The same could hold true for Mission Space-type centrifuges.

Right now DCA still doesn't have enough rides for children and Disneyland honestly only has room for one thrill ride. There might be space for another thrill ride if you're willing to demolish Toontown or pillage Tom Sawyer's Island/ditch Fantasmic! Fantasmic! is insanely expensive so it definitely could appeal to beancounters but the logistics of running an E-ticket on an island doesn't have the same financial appeal.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Disneyland honestly only has room for one thrill ride. There might be space for another thrill ride if you're willing to demolish Toontown or pillage Tom Sawyer's Island/ditch Fantasmic! Fantasmic! is insanely expensive so it definitely could appeal to beancounters but the logistics of running an E-ticket on an island doesn't have the same financial appeal.
    You might be surprised:

~ Area immediately West of Big Thunder could host not one, but two Matterhorn size attractions.

~ Area immediately North of Big Thunder could, if you're willing to relocate the recycling center, host an entire new land the size of Mysterious Island of Tokyo Disney Sea fame.

~ Innoventions has a huge footprint....large enough for another Space Mountain size attraction.

Right now DCA still doesn't have enough rides for children and Disneyland honestly only has room for one thrill ride. There might be space for another thrill ride if you're willing to demolish Toontown or pillage Tom Sawyer's Island/ditch Fantasmic! Fantasmic! is insanely expensive so it definitely could appeal to beancounters but the logistics of running an E-ticket on an island doesn't have the same financial appeal.
    As pointed out by sleepyjeff, DL has a ton of space that can be cleared to make way for any kind of attraction. The area taken up by Big Thunder Ranch and the space immediately North is a perfect place for at least one E-Ticket. There's more than enough room there for an entire land. All it wold take is to clear some trees and relocate a couple facility buildings. That space is huge.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Once that Kuka exclusivity deal ends, I'd love to see an Iron Man/Marvel ride using similar technology to Forbidden Journey in IoA. That combination of theming, thrills, and dark ride environment is awesome.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    The area taken up by Big Thunder Ranch and the space immediately North is a perfect place for at least one E-Ticket. There's more than enough room there for an entire land. All it wold take is to clear some trees and relocate a couple facility buildings. That space is huge.

Exactly:

TDS's Mysterious Island superimposed over Big Thunder Ranch/recycling center.

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    As pointed out by sleepyjeff, DL has a ton of space that can be cleared to make way for any kind of attraction. The area taken up by Big Thunder Ranch and the space immediately North is a perfect place for at least one E-Ticket. There's more than enough room there for an entire land. All it wold take is to clear some trees and relocate a couple facility buildings. That space is huge.
    I think you would also have to deal with the backstage logistics of the Fantasyland theatre and/or move the theatre. Theming wise I'm not sure I'd put another thrill ride in Frontierland. I always figured an E-ticket dark ride for the whole family would be the next logical step for Frontierland.(Pocahontas, Bambi, cowboys, Civil War original story, etc.) If we do get a massive Fantasyland expansion into Toontown, then I could definitely see an indoor coaster's show building hidden inside a clever hills/mountain/forest facade in Frontierland. But this coaster would probably come at the expense of Gadget's Go Coaster.

I think everyone is expecting a Star Wars E-ticket thrill ride to replace Innoventions and possibly Autopia. If they're really going to attempt Rocket Rods 2.0 over Autopia and the Subs show building then I hope they don't repeat any of the same mistakes in terms of inadequate infrastructure and poor storytelling. Iger's abysmal leadership of NextGen and John Lasseter's love of merchandise franchises worry me when it comes to this potential E-ticket.(If Lasseter promoted/looked the other way on a Planes overlay for Soarin', do you really think he'll step in and prevent an Episode VII overlay for Space Mountain?)

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Loggins View Post
    Once that Kuka exclusivity deal ends, .

That is just a rumor. Disney used a Kuka arm for an attraction first in Orlando.

Kuka is simply a company that makes robotic arms. They are not alone at this they have competition.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

I think you would also have to deal with the backstage logistics of the Fantasyland theatre and/or move the theatre. Theming wise I'm not sure I'd put another thrill ride in Frontierland.
    According to Google Maps as well as the official Disneyland map, there is more than double the space of BTMRR in this area. There is more than enough space to not have to impact FantasyLand Theater or the train.

It wouldn't have to be an expansion of FrontierLand. It could very easily serve as a FantasyLand expansion. A modified version of WDW's, if you will. This would serve the purpose of allowing for an E-Ticket as well as have enough spare space to offer some more attractions better suited for younger children.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

I think you would also have to deal with the backstage logistics of the Fantasyland theatre and/or move the theatre. Theming wise I'm not sure I'd put another thrill ride in Frontierland. I always figured an E-ticket dark ride for the whole family would be the next logical step for Frontierland.(Pocahontas, Bambi, cowboys, Civil War original story, etc.) If we do get a massive Fantasyland expansion into Toontown, then I could definitely see an indoor coaster's show building hidden inside a clever hills/mountain/forest facade in Frontierland. But this coaster would probably come at the expense of Gadget's Go Coaster.

I think everyone is expecting a Star Wars E-ticket thrill ride to replace Innoventions and possibly Autopia. If they're really going to attempt Rocket Rods 2.0 over Autopia and the Subs show building then I hope they don't repeat any of the same mistakes in terms of inadequate infrastructure and poor storytelling. Iger's abysmal leadership of NextGen and John Lasseter's love of merchandise franchises worry me when it comes to this potential E-ticket.(If Lasseter promoted/looked the other way on a Planes overlay for Soarin', do you really think he'll step in and prevent an Episode VII overlay for Space Mountain?)
    John Lasseter will not be the CEO, he's not even the CEO of Pixar. But if he were, then yes, I think he'd prevent an Episode 7 overlay of Space Mountain.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast