Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

More thrill rides please.

After a recent trip to both, Magic Mountain and Knott's Berry Farm, I have been thinking, since the arrival of Marvel in the park, wouldn't it be nice to see Disney take the parking lot behind paradise pier and do a thrill ride park based on Marvel Characters. High speed sate of the art coasters with interactive queues. Extend the monorail out to make a stop there as well as putting a station stop in at California Adventure. After visiting MM and KBF my views on Disney's cost to visit the resort have changed. The cast members were very rude, unhappy and a displeasure to deal with at both parks as well as both parks being dirty and stinky, not to mention the line structure being a logistical challenge. I would like to see Disney show them how it's really done. I no longer complain about the cost associated with visiting a Disney Park. What are your thoughts?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: More thrill rides please.

First thought - never encountered a rude or unhelpful employee in many visits the past two years of visiting Knott's fairly often (4-5 separate visits). Could be just me, but that's a simple fact - all outgoing and seemed glad to be there. In addition, no way I'd define Knott's as stinky or dirty - was well maintained and a lot of very clear new maintenance and upkeep work done all over the place.

I want a Marvel ride to be state of the art, not just a outdoor coaster - coaster elements are fine but even for an Avengers ride needs large scale AA's/sets and filmed elements combined likely with vehicles that have a wide range of motion, indoor settings - most comparable right now to Forbidden Journey at Islands of Adventure. So doubling down on a ton of coasters seems not so much like a thing that would 'distinguish' Disney or truly pay homage to the strengths of Marvel's characters overall.

As for the current thrill ride roster between DL and DCA, seems fairly respectable to me: Big Thunder, Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Screamin', Grizzly River, Splash Mountain to an extent, Indiana Jones, Star Tours all can meet that criteria. A new well-conceived one could be welcome indeed but I don't think they are 'lacking' precisely at current time.

Thank you for sharing your ideas all the same!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

"I believe our idea was to have a family park where the parents and the children could have fun together"

~Walt Disney
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Minion

That would be the worst thing that Disney could do with Marvel. It would be playing right into what most Disney fans fear a Marvel Park will be like. But as Regions said, Disney needs to produce highly themed Marvel experiences that exceed what Universal has done in the past.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I would love for more highly themed thrill rides too, but more focused on the highly themed part than thrill.... What I dont want is something like transformers, where you are in a ride vehicle that whips you around and you watch movies on a bunch of different screens. We already have that type of ride with star tours. If they made a ride using the Indiana Jones ride system I could be on board with that idea.

People go to MM & KBF mainly for thrill rides.
    They go to DLR for a more varied complete experience in a "magical" reality.
    Thrill rides are fine in the DL parks if they're done right, but I would hate to see the options in DLR get out of balance, and become more mundane, even if more "thrilling".

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    "I believe our idea was to have a family park where the parents and the children could have fun together"

~Walt Disney
    ^ This. What about Disney Parks don't you get? You seem to be confusing Disney with Six Flags or Knotts...

One does not put a Formula1 engine in a classic Rolls Royce luxury car and expect a lot of buyers. That is a niche market within a niche market.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    ^ This. What about Disney Parks don't you get? You seem to be confusing Disney with Six Flags or Knotts...

One does not put a Formula1 engine in a classic Rolls Royce luxury car and expect a lot of buyers. That is a niche market within a niche market.
    That sounds kind of sick though. I'd be in that niche if I had the money.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Chief Troublemaker

~Walt Disney

I agree with these 2 posters. DL is NOT about thrills, never was and never should be. It IS about family and things families can do together. The thrill rides at DL/DCA are of the caliber to be enjoyable by just about every age. The coasters at 6F and KBF, while great for what they are, are NOT rides that little children get taken on by grandma & grandpa.

6F and KBF have their place, for sure. In my younger years I just ate that stuff up! Now, I don't even consider visiting either, because there just aren't enough rides that I can ride due to motion sickness that started to hit me after I turned 50-ish. It's just not worth the money I'd spend to just walk around & watch other people ride. On the other hand, there will always be more than enough rides that I can ride at DL/DCA, even when I'm so old my great-great-great-grandchildren have to piggyback me through the queues. And I WILL make them piggyback me!!!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• I'm not really here

I think the OP gets Disney parks and what they are just fine... he simply also really likes thrill rides.

Disney has done a good job coming up with creative ways to make rides feel more thrilling that they strictly speaking are. This keeps the age limits down so more people can ride them.

This being a discussion forum where we are allowed to discuss things, what ways could Disney come up with to do thrills differently?

Thunder Mountain makes amazing use of narrow clearances mixed with just enough speed to make it feel far faster and more dangerous than it really is.

Space Mountain keeps you from seeing where you are and where you're going.

Matterhorn uses narrow clearance, speed and roughness.

Indy uses quite a bit of spectacle and effects plus the roughness.

On top of these things, Disney starts creating the mood and feelings before you get on the ride with intensely detailed queues and themeing. Often times starting before you even get to the queue with the visual of the attraction as you approach. Hiding the ride from outside view as much as possible also ups the thrill factor. There are plenty of tricks in th bag and probably new ways they could be employed.

What other ways are there to create the feeling of thrill without having to make straight up adrenaline junky 420ft tall roller coasters?
    Last edited by mycroft16; 03-24-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

~Walt Disney
    Please explain why certain attractions with height restrictions were built under Walt's watch? My 3 year old can't ride Matterhorn.

I don't think this quote was meant to be taken quite that literally. I know plenty of people who take their kids to the park and never once get on a ride themselves, my own mother is one of these people. In the countless trips we made as kids the only attractions she ever went on were Haunted Mansion and Pirates. I don't think she ever felt like she was missing out.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    Please explain why certain attractions with height restrictions were built under Walt's watch? My 3 year old can't ride Matterhorn.

I don't think this quote was meant to be taken quite that literally. I know plenty of people who take their kids to the park and never once get on a ride themselves, my own mother is one of these people. In the countless trips we made as kids the only attractions she ever went on were Haunted Mansion and Pirates. I don't think she ever felt like she was missing out.
    It's not to be taken too literally either direction. Because many of the thrill rides at DL are too much for a small group doesn't mean they aren't appropriate for the vast majority of guests. DLR's thrill rides are all loved by my 5 year old niece and my mid sixties parents. As long as that remains more or less true then it's fine. If they start to exceed the thrill level that's comfortable to a healthy middle aged adult, as some of MM's rides do, that's a problem.
    -Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    Please explain why certain attractions with height restrictions were built under Walt's watch?
    Name 3?

My 3 year old can't ride Matterhorn.
    Walt would not have stopped a 3 year old from riding der Matterhorn.

I don't think this quote was meant to be taken quite that literally.
    How was it meant to be taken then? I just quoted him...I did not assert anything. I will now........... I think it means that Disneyland should focus on family attractions where if not everyone, at least most everyone can experience together.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Time to tear down Space Mountain, Matterhorn, and BTMRR...

Name 3?
    One is enough to dispel the quote.

Walt would not have stopped a 3 year old from riding der Matterhorn.
    I wouldn't expect him to physically do it himself, but an attraction was built under his tenure that by design prohibits certain demographics from being able to enjoy it. Enough said.

How was it meant to be taken then? I just quoted him...I did not assert anything. I will now........... I think it means that Disneyland should focus on family attractions where if not everyone, at least most everyone can experience together.
    I think they have succeeded at this. It doesn't mean that each and every attraction must automatically be something all age groups can enjoy. Matterhorn is proof enough that Walt himself didn't 100% follow his own quote.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast