Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

re: Astro Orbitor To Be Removed?

Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    They removed Rocket Rods without having any plan of what they would do. Do you think they intended for the tracks to still be standing empty more than fifteen years later? So its not unheard of. Same can be said of the Skyway station, the Motorboat Cruise area & the Maliboomer pad. I think he's just implying that if they're gonna bring out the wrecking balls, they should have a concrete, greenlit plan for Tomorrowland instead of just ideas & concept art.
    The Rocket Rod removal was entirely different than if they were to remove the Astro Orbiter. It's sort of apples to oranges.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    They removed Rocket Rods without having any plan of what they would do. Do you think they intended for the tracks to still be standing empty more than fifteen years later? So its not unheard of. Same can be said of the Skyway station, the Motorboat Cruise area & the Maliboomer pad. I think he's just implying that if they're gonna bring out the wrecking balls, they should have a concrete, greenlit plan for Tomorrowland instead of just ideas & concept art.
    That is a pointless comparison that makes no sense. A decade of time, completely new board, new presidents. New mentality. A week ago everyone was trotting out the Rocket Rods as evidence that the Subs were going away. Then the CEO himself said they were staying. Now we're trotting out the Rocket Rods again.

The Rocket Rods were planned to return. It was after their closure that they decided it just couldn't be done so they didn't come back. That wasn't a lie and it wasn't a let's get rid of them. It was an honest change in plans because things came up. I'm not going to rehash here what has been rehashed ad nauseam elsewhere, but it's readily searchable.

Suffice it to say, the Rocket Rods are not a good example ever in these situations.

The Maliboomer pad is once again hardly good evidence. Why spend all the money to get in there and tear it all up when it is seriously just fine the way it is. It's not exactly prime real estate for attraction development and is awfully tiny.

The Motor Boat Cruise area is also not something that can easily be turned into an attraction what with a maze of monorail tracks overhead.

And how are any of these areas evidence of there being no plan?

PM tracks are ridiculously expensive to take down and would leave the entire land covered in construction for a while. They provide shade and at least a futuristic look and so they stand. When they are ready, and there are plans in the works, things will happen.

But don't assume there is no plan. Especially without any evidence of such a notion.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

This rumor is old. I remember MiceAge mentioning it in one of their articles a long time ago. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

I know some of you don't think a cast member is a credible source, but my brother said they are moving it back on top. Not altogether.

•   
    • Minion

^^ It's not that Cms are bad resources but it really depends on who they are who they know and where they hear things. Really it's no different than reading a rumor on here. Only people in Burbank/Glendale really know what the plans are. I am a more wait a see type of person but it's fun to speculate and dream!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I hope so.....it needs to be higher and a better location for me to really care about that ride

Also it does block up the entrance to Tomorrowland a good deal

I don't think this is happening until they have a solid plan for Tomorrowland as a whole. As it stands now, the former Rocket Rods/Peoplemover platform is not structurally stable enough to hold up the Astro Orbiter (or at least not enough to satisfy California Earthquake building standards). If they were to move it back to where the Observatron currently is, I'm pretty certain that we'd see major construction on that platform prior to them actually touching the Astro Orbiter itself.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

I wouldn't be terribly sad to see it go. I honestly like the look of it, it adds movement and life to Tomorrowland. It would be great if they put something else into TL that is more appealing to the eye than the rest of that area. Or just focus on TL as a whole and not add another ride until they do so.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    That is a pointless comparison that makes no sense. A decade of time, completely new board, new presidents. New mentality. A week ago everyone was trotting out the Rocket Rods as evidence that the Subs were going away. Then the CEO himself said they were staying. Now we're trotting out the Rocket Rods again.

The Rocket Rods were planned to return. It was after their closure that they decided it just couldn't be done so they didn't come back. That wasn't a lie and it wasn't a let's get rid of them. It was an honest change in plans because things came up. I'm not going to rehash here what has been rehashed ad nauseam elsewhere, but it's readily searchable.

Suffice it to say, the Rocket Rods are not a good example ever in these situations.

The Maliboomer pad is once again hardly good evidence. Why spend all the money to get in there and tear it all up when it is seriously just fine the way it is. It's not exactly prime real estate for attraction development and is awfully tiny.

The Motor Boat Cruise area is also not something that can easily be turned into an attraction what with a maze of monorail tracks overhead.

And how are any of these areas evidence of there being no plan?

PM tracks are ridiculously expensive to take down and would leave the entire land covered in construction for a while. They provide shade and at least a futuristic look and so they stand. When they are ready, and there are plans in the works, things will happen.

But don't assume there is no plan. Especially without any evidence of such a notion.
    Fair enough, but I wasn't implying that they don't have any plan at all. Probably a bad choice of wording on my part. I just worry about project that becomes stuck in limbo. What I'm really trying to get at is that I just don't see a big Tomorrowland renovation coming anytime soon. If they take out the Astro Orbiter now, it would be hard to build a new entrance to a land thats still searching for its identity.

I do think the Maliboomer pad is a good example. Its about the same size as the space occupied by the Astro Orbiter. It doesn't necessarily need an attraction, but you can't say it doesn't seem terribly unfinished. I recall seeing some concept art for a nice park and seating area, which just never happened. Same with the Motorboat Cruise area. I'm not saying they need a big E-ticket there, but there has to be some way to make the space not feel so abandoned.

Maybe Rocket Rods is a bad example with different circumstances, but you'd think that by now they'd have figured something out. I just hate seeing space that seems unused or unfinished when real estate in the parks is so precious.

Maybe (hopefully) I'm just being pessimistic, they have a final Tomorrowland blueprint ready to go, and the Astro Orbiter is the first step to a quick and easy renovation.

• Hooterville, USA

It's been an eyesore for years now. Move it over to DCA.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by The Disney Ninja View Post
    Recently, I heard rumors that the Astro Orbitor would be removed in the near future? What do you think? Are you for it or against it? Would it return to it's former glory at the top of the Observatron?

Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions, worries, wishes?
    Not sure why they keep it in the first place. Even my 9 year old recognizes that it is really nothing more than a more uncomfortable Dumbo ride.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    It's been an eyesore for years now. Move it over to DCA.
    Even DCA shouldn't have to keep that awful attraction. They have enough spinners..

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    Not sure why they keep it in the first place. Even my 9 year old recognizes that it is really nothing more than a more uncomfortable Dumbo ride.
    They keep the Astro Orbiter because it is, as far as most people are concerned, better than nothing. People still stand in line to ride it and enjoy it. As for the basic ride, itself (non-functional window-dressing notwithstanding), it works just fine. The rocket jets, sitting considerably higher up and in the middle of TL, just offered more thrills and, arguably, more fun.
    Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 03-25-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Missed an h
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Even DCA shouldn't have to keep that awful attraction. They have enough spinners..
    Hmm...I actually wouldn't mind if Astro Orbiter were rethemed to biplanes and replaced the cheap wild mouse coaster that's currently at Goofy's Sky School. The cheap coaster gets sold to another theme park or re-used for an indoor coaster in the current Animation Academy building.(Oswald vs. Mickey dark ride coaster?) Most of DCA's current flat rides will eventually go away if Fliks Fun Fair, Jumping Jellyfish, Silly Symphony Swings, Golden Zephyr, and Triton's Carousel can't pull in decent numbers over the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    Hmm...I actually wouldn't mind if Astro Orbiter were rethemed to biplanes and replaced the cheap wild mouse coaster that's currently at Goofy's Sky School. The cheap coaster gets sold to another theme park or re-used for an indoor coaster in the current Animation Academy building.(Oswald vs. Mickey dark ride coaster?) Most of DCA's current flat rides will eventually go away if Fliks Fun Fair, Jumping Jellyfish, Silly Symphony Swings, Golden Zephyr, and Triton's Carousel can't pull in decent numbers over the next decade.
    Don't think it would be a very safe dark coaster. Those initial switch backs would probably result in some neck injuries if the ride was in the dark and the passenger had no clue what to expect.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast