Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

re: Astro Orbitor To Be Removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I say ditch it altogether and double up dumbo. Or give us something more exciting like a modified and skinned Dartron Downdraft or Hurricane.
    You want to build a second Dumbo? And put it in Tomorrowland?

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

What are the sources of this rumor? It was mentioned by Sarah on those Mice Chatter videos and in the recent Dateline Disneyland. Any others that is not from Miceage?

Anyways, if it does go it should go on a new/rebuild platform at the same spot as the old Rocket Jets. I also hope there is some kind of a replacement ride for the PM/RR. It would make sense to work on the removal of those tracks, build the PM/RR replacement and rebuild the new platform/spinner at the same time. It might end up being a good size project that would involved closing Tomorowland. If you are closing TL, why not do the make over at that time. I don't see this happening until after the 60th.

If they take out AO soon, what is the point?
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    What are the sources of this rumor? It was mentioned by Sarah on those Mice Chatter videos and in the recent Dateline Disneyland. Any others that is not from Miceage?

Anyways, if it does go it should go on a new/rebuild platform at the same spot as the old Rocket Jets. I also hope there is some kind of a replacement ride for the PM/RR. It would make sense to work on the removal of those tracks, build the PM/RR replacement and rebuild the new platform/spinner at the same time. It might end up being a good size project that would involved closing Tomorowland. If you are closing TL, why not do the make over at that time. I don't see this happening until after the 60th.

If they take out AO soon, what is the point?
    There's very little chance they'll ever shut down all of TL, that's just too much capacity to lose at once. To me, this rumor makes a lot of sense. Clear up space in front of two popular attractions to prepare for future work. That way, if needed they could close a central portion of the land later on and still provide decent access to all the major rides. The last things they'd want is to have walls in front of Star Tours and Space Mountain at the same time.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    There's very little chance they'll ever shut down all of TL, that's just too much capacity to lose at once. To me, this rumor makes a lot of sense. Clear up space in front of two popular attractions to prepare for future work. That way, if needed they could close a central portion of the land later on and still provide decent access to all the major rides. The last things they'd want is to have walls in front of Star Tours and Space Mountain at the same time.
    Yes in phases, parts of TL still need to be shut down depending on the area being worked on. Throughout the project, all of TL will close but not all at once. Since the portion is down, due to taking the tracks out, why not redo that area as well.

• Not the Hawkguy

If the PM isn't coming back, or they need to build a new, more ADA-compliant station for it, something I'd like to see them do is move the Astro Orbiter to the PM platform (thus shortening the height compared to the original location) and then tearing out the PM track that goes down the middle. In that place build up a large ramp leading up to the Orbiter, which would also provide some shade for the area.

• U. B. Bold

Two Mice Age columnists have now, rather matter-of-factly, stated this removal rumor as fact. I'd like to know what their source is and why they seem so sure. If true, it's kind of a big deal and seems odd that a prominent attraction closure of this kind would be tossed off almost as an aside. And it's happened twice now, almost like, "I had pizza for lunch and, oh, yeah, the Astro Orbitor is being taken out next week..." What!? Huh!? Is this just bad writing or do they assume that everyone knows this already? Either way, some kind of reference to some kind of source would be nice. As usual, I'll believe it when I see it.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Under that tree again!

In WDW the AO is getting a summer long refurb that is speculated to be a major retheme. A spinner is a simple to remove and replace, attraction.

Maybe parks are being confused, they both have castles and similar lands.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• All-American

I can also independently confirm it will be removed.

• formerly very helpful

Assuming this is true, the question is "when?"

• Indiana Scott

This has bee a rumor that's been on and off for years. I would still like to hear what the source is.
    Otherwise it's still just another rumor.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    This has bee a rumor that's been on and off for years. I would still like to hear what the source is.
    Otherwise it's still just another rumor.
    This. I'm not sure why people don't understand that their claims won't be taken seriously unless there is a credible source attached to it.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    This. I'm not sure why people don't understand that their claims won't be taken seriously unless there is a credible source attached to it.
    I wouldn't expect anyone to name names. Miceage never has, but there seems to be a higher degree of respectability for the rumors they post.

Just look at all the rumors with an eye toward skeptacism and truth and make your own determination as to whether you believe them or not.

I could believe that they would remove the astro orbitor as it is fairly low capacity and there have been issues with running the motors buried deep inside. So I could see that happening.

But I also believe there is a 0% chance of them putting it anywhere else. The mechanism that runs it was fairly overbuilt and would require a new basement be built wherever it goes. It will not be moved back ontop of the Peoplemover platform and it will not be moved to the Space Mountain complex.

If they were intent on keeping the ride, they would keep it where it was. There is absolutely no justification in incurring such a huge expense just to move it. If it does get removed, its gone for good.
    Last edited by MrLiver; 03-27-2014 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    There is absolutely no justification in incurring such a huge expense just to move it. If it does get removed, its gone for good.
    Didn't Dumbo get moved to the former location of the Pirate Ship? I think there was a time when the Pirate Ship and Dumbo co-existed but a Disneyland historian needs to fact check this. I think you underestimate how many compressors and pieces of hydraulic equipment they can salvage for a 2nd Dumbo, new Astro Orbiter, or a new spinner utilizing the old parts of Astro Orbiter. Disney likes re-using old equipment. For example a CDA agent in Monsters was Drew Carey from SuperStar Limo, Splash Mountain's animatronics are from American Sings, and Knotts Berry Farm's refurbished log ride got old logs from Splash Mountain.

Moving Astro Orbiter makes sense financially if they can also clear that main bottleneck of the People Mover tracks. Bottlenecks lower ride cap and cost Disney money in the long term. Believe it or not, Disney's money-making strategy actually involves keeping guests happy and getting them on as many rides as possible in as short amount a time as possible. If you don't believe me, count how many CMs in red vests you see along the parade route trying their best to keep traffic moving in the walkways.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    Didn't Dumbo get moved to the former location of the Pirate Ship? I think there was a time when the Pirate Ship and Dumbo co-existed but a Disneyland historian needs to fact check this.
    They co-existed as in they were in the "original" Fantasyland together at the same time. The Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship restaurant was demolished in 1982, during the "new" Fantasyland expansion. Dumbo was moved and took it's place when the land reopened.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I wouldn't expect anyone to name names. Miceage never has, but there seems to be a higher degree of respectability for the rumors they post.

Just look at all the rumors with an eye toward skeptacism and truth and make your own determination as to whether you believe them or not.

I could believe that they would remove the astro orbitor as it is fairly low capacity and there have been issues with running the motors buried deep inside. So I could see that happening.

But I also believe there is a 0% chance of them putting it anywhere else. The mechanism that runs it was fairly overbuilt and would require a new basement be built wherever it goes. It will not be moved back ontop of the Peoplemover platform and it will not be moved to the Space Mountain complex.

If they were intent on keeping the ride, they would keep it where it was. There is absolutely no justification in incurring such a huge expense just to move it. If it does get removed, its gone for good.
    More likely a rebuild platform.

Space Mt patio is a dumb idea.

I think it will come back onto a new platform, at the old RJ location

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast