Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Special Agent

re: Astro Orbitor To Be Removed?

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    I think it will come back onto a new platform, at the old RJ location
    I sincerely doubt they will ever use that structure again. The weight of the current AO wouldn't be supported on that platform, and if I remember right the old mechanism had less capacity than the current one. Even if they decided to retrofit the old mechanism to carry riders, we are talking millions of dollars to remove and demo the current AO and basement, retrofit the PeopleMover Station and add the elevator back (which would also mean lost sales from whichever store they removed for the queue) and finally whatever cost is needed to actually bring the 1967 mechanism (which I don't recall if it was recycled from the original 1956 one or not) up to existing ada laws and codes. And they would be spending these millions on a ride that would end up with less capacity and still duplicates the same experience as dumbo.

Put it back to the way it looked good before in 1967. Having the Rockets and those stupid rocks in front was part of the terrible Tony Baxter 'NEW' Tomorrowland project he was in charge of.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by PDSchweitzer View Post
    Put it back to the way it looked good before in 1967. Having the Rockets and those stupid rocks in front was part of the terrible Tony Baxter 'NEW' Tomorrowland project he was in charge of.
    I do think it was a creative mistake moving it, but I think spending the money to move it back would be just as big of a mistake. How many millions of dollars and different incarntions of Tomorrowland spinners have there been? It's time to just let it go.

And before the Tony Baxter Fan Club jumps on me, I will fully admit that I don't know if the decision to move it down was a 100% creative decision or not. I tend to believe that it wasn't an entirely creative decision, and with what has been said regarding liability and the Skyway, that there wsre other reasons why the Rockets had to be moved down.

Isn't TL going to be Star Wars Land and the Millennium Falcon is going to go atop the old PM tower?
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Fallapart in my Backyard

As much as I dislike another ride disappearing I am excited that they are fixing the entrance to TL. The Astro Orbitor was an eyesore and never really fit in with the scheme of things around it and a big bottleneck.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    Isn't TL going to be Star Wars Land and the Millennium Falcon is going to go atop the old PM tower?
    All rumors at this stage of the game.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I do think it was a creative mistake moving it, but I think spending the money to move it back would be just as big of a mistake. How many millions of dollars and different incarntions of Tomorrowland spinners have there been? It's time to just let it go.

And before the Tony Baxter Fan Club jumps on me, I will fully admit that I don't know if the decision to move it down was a 100% creative decision or not. I tend to believe that it wasn't an entirely creative decision, and with what has been said regarding liability and the Skyway, that there wsre other reasons why the Rockets had to be moved down.
    I don't think that Tony Baxter is to blame for the situation, but rather Paul Pressler's absolute refusal to spend any money at all. The reason I've been told as to why the Astor Orbiter is NOT on the Peoplemover platform is due to weight reasons, the new AO is considerably heavier than the Rocket Jets ever where, and they have been planning to rebuild the entire platform in 1997/98 to build a much more thrilling and elaborate version of Rocket Rods and also to accommodate the new AO, however Pressler cut into the budget and that never happened. There was some concept art released a while ago (I think while Kalogridis was still at Disneyland) of the Astro Orbiter on top of a NEW platform that is much larger than the existing one, with a new enclosed station below for a Kuka Arm attraction of some sorts replacing the Peoplemover. While I don't know if it was official or if it was a personal sketch, it was definitely a Imagineer blue sky rendering.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

They still have the old spinning mechanism up on the platform, so that will probably save money, but look at how well the observatron (or whatever you call it) works. My guess is that safety has a real influence on this.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Former Churro Jockey

You know, it's been so long since I've been on the Rocket Jets that I wonder if I'd even like them any more. Before they closed I hadn't been on them in awhile because the length of the line was usually more then what I was willing to wait. If Disney did move them back I'm sure they'd be wildly popular for a little while, but I wonder how long that would last? When you look at just how amazing and elaborate and immersive modern rides have become, maybe it's time for an adult spinner ride to just be retired.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Resident Adventurer

Get rid of AO and put PM back in!!

*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧ Time until next Disney trip: *✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧
    ???

• formerly very helpful

As much as I'd love that to happen (bringing back the People Mover. I'm really mostly apathetic about the Astro Orbiter), that isn't going to happen. I've learned not to listen seriously to ANY Disneyland rumor until after construction has already begun. And then I'm still cynical about it ending up like the released plans and drawings are like.

• formerly very helpful

And PDSweitzer, that is one unbelievably beautiful land you're showing on your post. I'm equally giddy with nostalgia and depressed for the current state of things from looking at it.

• Say no to screens

So if it's closing soon, do we have a date, or any ideas for the last day?
    Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• Meh

Quote Originally Posted by PDSchweitzer View Post

Awesome pic!
    Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    So if it's closing soon, do we have a date, or any ideas for the last day?
    Nope, just a rumor at this point
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast