Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Pictures being taken at turnstiles

(Disney cracks down on ticket renting - The Orange County Register this article pretty well explains what I'm talking about here)

It appears Disney is attempting to confront people "renting" tickets, by instituting a system where, if you have a multiple day ticket, a CM takes your picture at the turnstile and saves it so you can't pass it on to someone else the following day.

There are, however, a few significant flaws with this system
    1) It slows down the turnstiles like crazy. If a family of 6 is in front of you and they all need their pictures taken, you have to wait for all 6 to get their pictures taken before you can go ahead. I have never seen a CM make any effort to allow us to walk around a large party getting their picture taken.

2) It's unclear what's happening and what guests should do in response. I have an AP, and whenever I walk up to the turnstile, the CM with the camera/iPhone just sorta awkwardly glances at my pass and then gives me a nod to walk through. They rarely tell me to actually stop and show me their pass, but it's obvious that I'm under some sort of inspection. I've had one CM stop, take my pass, realize it's an AP and then hand it back to be with absolutely no explanation. This is both confusing as well as coming off somewhat rude.

3) Is it even worth it? I'm just making a guess here, but I would say less than 5%(if even that) of tickets are "rented" so is it really worth taking all of these measures that make things unpleasant for the other 95%?

I'm curious if others are feeling the same thing I am, or if people have thoughts on how Disney should or will address this in the longterm? It just seems painfully inefficient and that Disney could do a lot better.

Re: Pictures being taken at turnstiles

yeah this happened to me back in August

• Foolish Mortal

It definitely slows the line down at the gates. I don't really mind all that much though in the grand scheme of things, but that is because I usually go once a week. My wife and I have discussed it and wished that the CM with the pass scanner/picture taker would walk down the line and get people's pictures then if needed. This could possibly help speed up the process once you approach the CM at the turnstile.

They've been doing it, I want to say for at least a year now. If they're bothering to try to circumvent it, it implies they think it's worth it. Speculation about the prevalence of the practice is sort of moot since we have zero data.

I agree about the delay at the turnstyle bummer, it's annoying when a giant family who all need photos are in front and the line just stops instead of them being pulled aside for the photo while people who don't need one could go through, but then what'd they do if several parties in a row all needed photos? The debate about an AP only line can rage for ages but really, other than different turnstyles for different ticket types, I don't know what they can do...other than have Photopass photogs descend upon people right AFTER they go through the queue but then how would they know who had what tickets, or make people keep their tickets out. With the current gate setup, there isn't really a better solution. At least not one that I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    My wife and I have discussed it and wished that the CM with the pass scanner/picture taker would walk down the line and get people's pictures then if needed. This could possibly help speed up the process once you approach the CM at the turnstile.
    I think that could work. What bothers me the most, I think, is that there's no communication being made that if you are visiting for your first day with a certain type of ticket, you need your picture taken. They just sorta awkwardly stop you and scan your ticket with their phone with no explanation given.

Quote Originally Posted by theatremouse View Post
    They've been doing it, I want to say for at least a year now. If they're bothering to try to circumvent it, it implies they think it's worth it.
    I remember in 2013, they didn't used to have the actual person with the phone take a picture of you, they'd just scan it, and then I'd guess the security camera would take a picture? It wasn't quite as slow back then, but I'm guessing it wasn't working as well as they wanted it to(or that was inherently a temporary procedure until they got the system they use now working), since they switched to the actual CM taking the picture.

I'm also confused by the fact that even at 2 or 3 in the afternoon people are STILL getting their pictures taken. I just think if you're getting a 2-6 day ticket, wouldn't you at least start your first day near or at opening?

Quote Originally Posted by Liva148 View Post
    I remember in 2013, they didn't used to have the actual person with the phone take a picture of you, they'd just scan it, and then I'd guess the security camera would take a picture? It wasn't quite as slow back then, but I'm guessing it wasn't working as well as they wanted it to(or that was inherently a temporary procedure until they got the system they use now working), since they switched to the actual CM taking the picture.
    I was at the parks in January 2013, April 2013, August 2013, and December 2013. During all of these trips, CMs were taking photos as people came through the line. As far as I know, there has never been a "security camera" taking pictures. It has always been CMs with mobile devices.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandaddict13 View Post
    I was at the parks in January 2013, April 2013, August 2013, and December 2013. During all of these trips, CMs were taking photos as people came through the line. As far as I know, there has never been a "security camera" taking pictures. It has always been CMs with mobile devices.
    Are you sure about that? I seem to very distinctly recall on multiple occasions, being an AP(I mean this to say I went to the parks a lot, not as if being an AP makes me somehow superior ), that there were times when a CM would just scan your ticket with the mobile device and then you'd walk through without having them take your picture. I just noticed recently(pass 6 months maybe) that they were taking pictures on the device themselves and slowing up the line. I could be mistaken though.

We were ap in 2013 & they were taking pics by cm.

Problem was my sis ticket they took her pic multiple times that trip like it didn't get saved properly.

They need an ap line.

If you have a mixed party-some with reg tickets /some ap you don't go in the ap line.

• #bringevilback

It can be quite frustrating, as an AP, even if they aren't getting their picture taken they still have to scan and verify each ticket for each person, which are usually handed in a stack for the CM to sort through.

Oh, and don't even try to go around the group of 10 getting their pictures taken while the actual gate CM does nothing. they'll yell at you. It seems so pointless to wait while NO ONE is going through the line. Me passing them while they get their pictures taken does not lengthen anyone's time, in fact, it shortens everyone's wait!

And yeah, the attitude I get from some picture checkers is crazy...I can usually just flash my pass, but because it's a Premier sometimes they don't recognize it. I've literally had it grabbed out of my hand several times, been yelled at to come back, or just asked to see it closer. Maybe 50% I can walk by like a regular pass. Overall, I'd say the gate CMs have the highest percentage of rude encounters over any other group...

• The doctor is in

This has been a thing for quite sometime. I've had my picture taken during my last two trips.

It slows the line down but I understand why they do it. I wish they would warn guests ahead of time. I have witnessed a lot of people get into it with CMs because they don't understand why you need your picture taken. Everyone is so paranoid about privacy these days.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Minion

they were doing this during MLK weekend (aka tink marathon weekend) of 2013
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

I have to say I've never noticed this. We're AP holders and have gone many times but all I have seen is the CM with the mobil scanner asking for paper tickets to scan. I thought they were just scanning to see if they were counterfeit tickets since all you'd need is a good copy/printer to make them. We figured out that as we get closer we just hold up our AP's and they say "thank you, have a nice day." Of course being prior military we're used to this kind of stuff and more so we just roll with it. Most of the problems we've encountered at the turnstiles were people with tickets that weren't scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    This has been a thing for quite sometime. I've had my picture taken during my last two trips.

It slows the line down but I understand why they do it. I wish they would warn guests ahead of time. I have witnessed a lot of people get into it with CMs because they don't understand why you need your picture taken. Everyone is so paranoid about privacy these days.
    I thought they have big signs up stating if you have a 2 day it higher pass you need your picture

I wish Disneyland would ditch photos all together and install biometric finger scanners that are now becoming a theme park industry standard.

Every Universal, Six Flags, SeaWorld Entertainment, and Disney World park use finger scanners.

Disneyland needs to get with the times as their current ipod scanners/photo taking system SUCKS!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast