(Disney cracks down on ticket renting - The Orange County Register this article pretty well explains what I'm talking about here)
It appears Disney is attempting to confront people "renting" tickets, by instituting a system where, if you have a multiple day ticket, a CM takes your picture at the turnstile and saves it so you can't pass it on to someone else the following day.
There are, however, a few significant flaws with this system
1) It slows down the turnstiles like crazy. If a family of 6 is in front of you and they all need their pictures taken, you have to wait for all 6 to get their pictures taken before you can go ahead. I have never seen a CM make any effort to allow us to walk around a large party getting their picture taken.
2) It's unclear what's happening and what guests should do in response. I have an AP, and whenever I walk up to the turnstile, the CM with the camera/iPhone just sorta awkwardly glances at my pass and then gives me a nod to walk through. They rarely tell me to actually stop and show me their pass, but it's obvious that I'm under some sort of inspection. I've had one CM stop, take my pass, realize it's an AP and then hand it back to be with absolutely no explanation. This is both confusing as well as coming off somewhat rude.
3) Is it even worth it? I'm just making a guess here, but I would say less than 5%(if even that) of tickets are "rented" so is it really worth taking all of these measures that make things unpleasant for the other 95%?
I'm curious if others are feeling the same thing I am, or if people have thoughts on how Disney should or will address this in the longterm? It just seems painfully inefficient and that Disney could do a lot better.