Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    The best smells:

Churros
    The POTC water (can't help it)
    . . .
    The steam from the railroad
    Boudin Bakery/Pacific Wharf
    . . .
    Good call on the Pacific Wharf. And I love the french fry oil smell from the trains.

Any place with popcorn or freshly made ice cream waffle cones will smell great so those don't make me feel particularly like I'm in Disneyland, even when I smell them in Disneyland.

I do not miss the smell of the old subs.

Has anybody mentioned the POTC water? Kidding. Like gasoline or skunk, I thought I was the only one. That's one reason why I spend time on Micechat--to feel less aberrant in my love of Disney.

Unfortunately, however, AvidTurtleTalker, you are indeed the ONLY one who likes the stink bug smell. Literally everyone wrote to me to confirm this. I'm sorry.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-29-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Re: Scents and smells in the parks

Like I say, the original Disneyland Building Smell is so hard to describe, although if one could take a summer's evening thunderstorm, along with the scent of a wet sidewalk, fresh damp grass, and mix it up with fresh-cut lumber and a pinch of dirt, and then top it off with just a touch of mildew, plus a bit of some other Mystery Ingredient which leans towards the metallic or mineral....where was I? Well, that's my best shot.

Please someone, tell me I'm not alone in my olfactory ecstasy![/QUOTE]

You just described the city of Lyons, Oregon, at the end of Cedar street on the last week of August. The first rains of summer come in sometimes in Thunderstorm fashion. The rain hits the concrete releasing the oxide fragrance ( which could still be hanging around the main street canyon early morning hours on first entry). The lumber mill is just over the trees and a breeze will send onto our deck that overlooks the fresh mowed lawn. The forest provides the mildew and humus dirt smell. All of this only happens in august.
    Last edited by laferney Road kid; 03-29-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spelling

• Former Churro Jockey

When I was a kid we always went on the train first thing every single time we went to DL, so even now every time I smell steam it immideately takes me back to how excited I was as a kid going to Disneyland. The popcorn wagons have vents and fans on them to blow the smell of freshly made popcorn out to a wider area, so whenever I smell popcorn I think of going to work (and what a fun time I had working there, so it's not a negative thing).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

There is a really bad smell, when you get into the left-hand line, going into the Pirates building (right beside Tarzan's Treehouse). It's like a bad sewage smell...

The best smell is the waffle cones cooking in the Gibson Girl!

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    Like I say, the original Disneyland Building Smell is so hard to describe, although if one could take a summer's evening thunderstorm, along with the scent of a wet sidewalk, fresh damp grass, and mix it up with fresh-cut lumber and a pinch of dirt, and then top it off with just a touch of mildew, plus a bit of some other Mystery Ingredient which leans towards the metallic or mineral....where was I? Well, that's my best shot.

Please someone, tell me I'm not alone in my olfactory ecstasy!
    You just described the city of Lyons, Oregon, at the end of Cedar street on the last week of August. The first rains of summer come in sometimes in Thunderstorm fashion. The rain hits the concrete releasing the oxide fragrance ( which could still be hanging around the main street canyon early morning hours on first entry). The lumber mill is just over the trees and a breeze will send onto our deck that overlooks the fresh mowed lawn. The forest provides the mildew and humus dirt smell. All of this only happens in august.[/QUOTE]

Nice.

This thread would be better if my Golden Retriever could go to Disneyland and describe what she can smell. Apparently dogs' olfactory skills improved as our brains devoted more space to thinking. I've never lived with a dog before, and I'm surprised at what a naturally great companion she is, though if I took her to Disneyland she'd freak out because she'd smell some of the 200 or so cats who live at the Disneyland Resort.

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post

You just described the city of Lyons, Oregon, at the end of Cedar street on the last week of August. The first rains of summer come in sometimes in Thunderstorm fashion. The rain hits the concrete releasing the oxide fragrance ( which could still be hanging around the main street canyon early morning hours on first entry). The lumber mill is just over the trees and a breeze will send onto our deck that overlooks the fresh mowed lawn. The forest provides the mildew and humus dirt smell. All of this only happens in august.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's neat! I must get myself to Lyons the last week of August!

Was just thinking about the smell of fresh waffle cones and came back to this thread to post it here - and found out others were thinking about it, too! Mmmmmm ....

• formerly very helpful

My daughter just said her favorite smell was "the smell of cotton candy wafting throu the park." Yes, my 11 year old said "wafting." I'm very proud.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    My daughter just said her favorite smell was "the smell of cotton candy wafting throu the park." Yes, my 11 year old said "wafting." I'm very proud.

• Cunning infiltrator

Ah, yes the scents!

Pirates of the Caribbean and it's "seawater."

The hydraulic fluid in Splash Mountain.

Fresh butter popcorn and cotton candy on Main Street USA. You can literally smell the lovely comfort food scent every where as you walk!

The "gasoline" from the Jeeps in IJA. If you smell closely, the gas powered generator outside the temple also has that gasoline smell.

Star Tours' car-like air condition smell is very nostalgic.

The dusty old cobwebbed scent in the Haunted Mansion.

The smell of Dip in Roger Rabbit!

What else? The sparkle and toy-like plastic scent in it's a small world is everywhere in each country. But if you ride it first thing in the morning, the smell was strong when entering beneath the clock tower. But after a while, your nose gets used to the smell.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    By the way, when I used to work the cotton candy machines even though I'd change out of my costume before I got on the cast member shuttle I'd still smell like cotton candy. One time I sat next to this girl who asked me what the nice smell was and if I was wearing some kind of cologne or something, and I ended up getting a date out of it!!! So apparently girls love the smell of cotton candy...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• DLR Enthusiast

Unfortunately, the smell of popcorn makes me nauseous. The office I work in offers popcorn to our customers downstairs so I smell it everyday, all day.

When I first started coming to the park, I really enjoyed the classic dark ride smells. All of them have their own unique sort of fragrance. Unfortunately, as I get older my sense of smell isn't as tuned as it used to be, and I can rarely satisfy that need for "smelling memories". That being said, I can still whiff the railroad and be a happy man. When you think about it, the railroad leaves it's mark all over the park, so naturally it is what I would refer to as the "smell" of Disneyland.
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    Favorite smell: that singular "Disneyland Building Smell". It's at once a "clean" and somewhat "old" smell. I associate it mostly with Main Street interiors and Mr. Lincoln, although it's also shown up in other shops. Kind of hard to describe, but it's so utterly unique to me that I've never been anywhere else and thought, "ooh, smells like Disneyland..." (unlike that whiff of a mildew-frought car air conditioner that for a moment recalls Pirates) The Haunted Mansion seems to harbor a slight variation of this clean/old smell -- leaning more towards the "old", along with an earthy, clammy scent.

We all know exactly what you're talking about. The all-time greatest occurrence of this smell is Spaceship Earth at EPCOT Center, where the smell permeates the base of the sphere.

I love the pine scent around the Christmas tree and the gingerbread scent in the HM during NBC. Both fake...but still effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    We all know exactly what you're talking about. The all-time greatest occurrence of this smell is Spaceship Earth at EPCOT Center, where the smell permeates the base of the sphere.
    Thanks Great Movie Rider!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast