Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Earthquake

Re: Earthquake

My friend just posted on Facebook that her daughter is at DL with her school choir. She's an AZ girl and has never been in an earthquake. A little scary to experience that and to not be with your parents.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Disneyland is already selling "I survived the 5.1 LaHabra, March 28, Quake!" for $39.00 at the exits. Lines for Dole Whips are back to Splash Mountain since fear that this was just a foreshock has people asking what's really important to do before. . . Knott's repots similar lines for Boysenberry Pie. Captain America is trying to bring calm to Tomorrowland while Roger Rabbit's freaking out only made things worse in Toontown. For 15 seconds this evening Heimlich's Chew Chew Train was a thrill ride.

Just kidding. The Irish part of me jokes in times like this.
    What about Innoventions? Anybody? Hello? No? Okay. Moving on...

• Minion

Had just left the park and was at the movie theater in Downtown Disney, watching "Nonstop" of all things. Right at one of its most intense moments the quake hit. People were a bit freaked, looking around. Was like, "what the....?" It almost felt like it was part of the movie or something. Truly bizarre.
    It took quite a while getting out of the structure and there was a definite massive sea of people walking back to the structure.
    As a CA native, quakes don't bother me usually, but it was bit weird being in a movie theater surrounded by people, and watching a movie of that nature right when the quake hit. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    What about Innoventions? Anybody? Hello? No? Okay. Moving on...
    No because everyone thought it was the Hulk crashing in on the rest of the Avenger meet and greets.

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Had just left the park and was at the movie theater in Downtown Disney, watching "Nonstop" of all things. Right at one of its most intense moments the quake hit. People were a bit freaked, looking around. Was like, "what the....?" It almost felt like it was part of the movie or something. Truly bizarre.
    It took quite a while getting out of the structure and there was a definite massive sea of people walking back to the structure.
    As a CA native, quakes don't bother me usually, but it was bit weird being in a movie theater surrounded by people, and watching a movie of that nature right when the quake hit. Strange.
    That would be a little freaky!

We were waiting for World of Color when it occurred. 9:45 World of Color went ahead as scheduled but all attractions came to a halt. A lot of people freaking out today, quite a bit of confusion. Some said that the show would cancel, some said it wouldn't. CMs didn't really say much. Most people were just shaken up (no pun intended).
    Last edited by DonaldMissingPants; 03-28-2014 at 11:12 PM.

While I wasn't at Disneyland when it happened, I still certainly felt it. It was a minor jolt from where I was seeing that I live around the Riverside/Corona area. Looking at the map I can see how close it was to Anaheim and Disneyland itself. I can't imagine being in the park when the earthquake hit, especially being so close to the epicenter. At least people are okay although a little shaken with the only casualties so far being people's TVs and olive oil bottles.

I suppose when they replaced the earthquake sequence on Big Thunder with the explosion sequence, the earthquake wanted to give Disneyland a piece of its mind...

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Disneyland Original '55

I was not in disneyland, however I was working in Fullerton, in between Disneyland and La Habra. I was crewing a show inside a theatre when the quake hit, middle of the stage I had no cover whatsoever. However luckily the scenery and machinery stayed in the air above me, and the set/actors/audience was undamaged and unharmed. A huge scare for us though as we evacuated the entire building and reset to pick up where we left off. How ever I can now say a show I was apart of literally rocked the house. I can see why Disney would shut down completely we were extremely worried about our scenery, but no damage was done, so im hoping the same is true with disneyland.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

Ok, my opinion,
    It's safe to shut things down, but I think everyone that is not from here, know this is "Panda Watch" thing on tv.

For A big shaker , get under tables (might get bigger). So always get under something. Good to be safe.

We have had severally large earthquakes like this here since Disney land opened in 1955, but has done fine.

Honestly tornados scare me more.

5.0 is pretty scary though.

Remember, most modern buildings are earthquake safe.

--
    OMG! Watching tv, some wine bottles. Fell down! I saw it on PANDA WATCH, I mean Fix 11News.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Disneyland is already selling "I survived the 5.1 LaHabra, March 28, Quake!" for $39.00 at the exits. Lines for Dole Whips are back to Splash Mountain since fear that this was just a foreshock has people asking what's really important to do before. . . Knott's repots similar lines for Boysenberry Pie. Captain America is trying to bring calm to Tomorrowland while Roger Rabbit's freaking out only made things worse in Toontown. For 15 seconds this evening Heimlich's Chew Chew Train was a thrill ride.

Just kidding. The Irish part of me jokes in times like this.
    Gives new meaning to Mr. Toads Wild Ride & California Screamin'

In the meantime, the new safety announcement on rides is "Please remain seated till the ground comes to a full & complete stop"

It's interesting watching all the activity on Twitter that was unfolding while it was happening. Proof that social networking is more important than making sure you're safe first.

There were 2 pre-shockers before the 5.1 though. Must not of been felt though. Some reports are saying that it's good we're having these "little" ones to help elevate the pressure so we don't have "the big one".
    That 7.1 a couple Easter's ago was not fun at all.
    A bad day at Disneyland is better than a good day at work. But who ever heard of a bad day at Disneyland?
    https://twitter.com/Flutterfly_74
    http://pinterest.com/flutterfly74/
    http://flutterfly74.tumblr.com/

So I was at the park tonight as both earthquakes hit. When the first one hit, I had just gotten seated onto the Matterhorn when the 101 alarms on the counsels went off. Immediately the CM's began evacuating the ride. No one really knew what was happening as (as far as I know) no one really felt the first one, at least I didn't. I only knew it was an earthquake because of what a CM said on a phone call at the counsel.

Having been a CM, I knew that due to the mild severity of the earthquake, all attractions would go down but stores and restaurants would be open, so I went to Pizza Port to eat. I obviously wasn't the only one taking advantage of the downtime as the lines were ridiculous. However, the attractions were back operating in no time.

I had just gotten my seat assignment for Space Mountain when the second earthquake hit. At first I thought it was just the building, as the ride makes the building shake, however the jolt hit and kept getting stronger. Immediately the 101 alarms went off and the ride e-stopped. People started screaming and running back through the queue as CM's walked towards cover. Everything was shaking and rattling, hard. Once the earthquake stopped, the CM's calmly and cooly evacuated the line and directed everyone towards the nearest open space, which was the cosmic ball. As this was considered a moderate seismic event, both attractions and shops (essentially anything indoors) was shuttered.

Although it was a mess exiting the park, I give MASSIVE kudos to the CM's for handling the situation with the upmost professionalism. It was a scary event which happened on an extremely busy day during an extremely busy time of the year. Major props.

• Minion

I was an attractions CM for 11 years and amazingly was never there during an earthquake.

As for the two attractions you're mentioning, you were at load at both Space and Matterhorn within 20 minutes of each other. Wow. When we were in the theater the two most violent shocks were only about 20 minutes apart. It seemed anyway.

When you got to Space it was already up and running? I would have thought it would have still been 101. It takes a while to evac those attractions, check damage and get 'em up and running again.

Quote Originally Posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
    So I was at the park tonight as both earthquakes hit. When the first one hit, I had just gotten seated onto the Matterhorn when the 101 alarms on the counsels went off. Immediately the CM's began evacuating the ride. No one really knew what was happening as (as far as I know) no one really felt the first one, at least I didn't. I only knew it was an earthquake because of what a CM said on a phone call at the counsel.

Having been a CM, I knew that due to the mild severity of the earthquake, all attractions would go down but stores and restaurants would be open, so I went to Pizza Port to eat. I obviously wasn't the only one taking advantage of the downtime as the lines were ridiculous. However, the attractions were back operating in no time.

I had just gotten my seat assignment for Space Mountain when the second earthquake hit. At first I thought it was just the building, as the ride makes the building shake, however the jolt hit and kept getting stronger. Immediately the 101 alarms went off and the ride e-stopped. People started screaming and running back through the queue as CM's walked towards cover. Everything was shaking and rattling, hard. Once the earthquake stopped, the CM's calmly and cooly evacuated the line and directed everyone towards the nearest open space, which was the cosmic ball. As this was considered a moderate seismic event, both attractions and shops (essentially anything indoors) was shuttered.

Although it was a mess exiting the park, I give MASSIVE kudos to the CM's for handling the situation with the upmost professionalism. It was a scary event which happened on an extremely busy day during an extremely busy time of the year. Major props.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterfly74 View Post
    Gives new meaning to Mr. Toads Wild Ride & California Screamin'

In the meantime, the new safety announcement on rides is "Please remain seated till the ground comes to a full & complete stop". . .
    Good one!
    I doubt CA Screamin' noticed extra shaking, except maybe before it launched. Mickey's Funwheel is the attraction I'd least want to be on.

So Northridge was a 6.7 and the Bay Area's World Series quake was 6.9--just for perspective.

DenyUntilCaught (a Micechater's name), glad to hear that at least some of our CM performed with Tokyo Disneyland-like professionalism. Now THEY knew how to respond to guests after their HUGE earthquake, though the Yeti-master from WDW's AK currently the 3-year, Disneyland Resort president doesn't strike me as a "Break out the churros and serve free hot chocolate!" kind of leader. I bet Universal Hollywood would do cool things for guests stuck there after a quake.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-29-2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: typo

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Have you thought about writing a letter to Disneyland complimenting the Cast Members you encountered? I bet it would be refreshing for them to get a positive letter about their Cast Members, especially regarding their handling of the earthquakes, compared to the usual negative complaints they receive.

I'm not sure if the address I have is still valid, but here it is if you'd like to write to them about your experience:

Disneyland Guest Communications
    C/o The Disneyland Resort
    P.O. Box 3232
    Anaheim, CA 92803-3232

Take care!

So I was at the park tonight as both earthquakes hit.
    I was on Star Tours during the second big one...

I got onto Star Tours after it reopened the first time (9-ish). Right as Yoda appeared the lights came on, the big door in front of the screen raised and there was an announcement about the "flight" being interrupted. We didn't feel the earthquake while riding (of course) so didn't know that there had been another until told. I went over to Haunted Mansion, hearing the fireworks cancellation message while walking through the CROWDED hub, but after HM hadn't opened by 10 I went over to ROA and got a center spot for the second Fantasmic. After that I rode Haunted Mansion a few times. They were only using the left stretching room.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast