Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Earthquake

• Not the Fallen

Re: Earthquake

I'm in north San Diego, and did not feel it. Maybe I have become "immune" to them, since I have lived here my whole life.
    My friend was at the parks, and said he decided to leave.

• Meh

Quote Originally Posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
    So I was at the park tonight as both earthquakes hit. When the first one hit, I had just gotten seated onto the Matterhorn when the 101 alarms on the counsels went off. Immediately the CM's began evacuating the ride. No one really knew what was happening as (as far as I know) no one really felt the first one, at least I didn't. I only knew it was an earthquake because of what a CM said on a phone call at the counsel.

Having been a CM, I knew that due to the mild severity of the earthquake, all attractions would go down but stores and restaurants would be open, so I went to Pizza Port to eat. I obviously wasn't the only one taking advantage of the downtime as the lines were ridiculous. However, the attractions were back operating in no time.

I had just gotten my seat assignment for Space Mountain when the second earthquake hit. At first I thought it was just the building, as the ride makes the building shake, however the jolt hit and kept getting stronger. Immediately the 101 alarms went off and the ride e-stopped. People started screaming and running back through the queue as CM's walked towards cover. Everything was shaking and rattling, hard. Once the earthquake stopped, the CM's calmly and cooly evacuated the line and directed everyone towards the nearest open space, which was the cosmic ball. As this was considered a moderate seismic event, both attractions and shops (essentially anything indoors) was shuttered.

Although it was a mess exiting the park, I give MASSIVE kudos to the CM's for handling the situation with the upmost professionalism. It was a scary event which happened on an extremely busy day during an extremely busy time of the year. Major props.
    So awesome! Great story!
    Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

•   
    • Minion

It looks as though they are having about five per hour right now...mostly 2s but it does appear that there was another 3 this morning.

I honestly feel bad for those around the epicenter right now. It is about 16 hours of quakes at this point. That has to be horrible.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It looks as though they are having about five per hour right now...mostly 2s but it does appear that there was another 3 this morning.

I honestly feel bad for those around the epicenter right now. It is about 16 hours of quakes at this point. That has to be horrible.
    The 5.1 was scary, the 3.6 twenty or so minutes later was interesting and kind of annoying--not at all scary, and the others have been so mild that they're a little bit interesting, though we usually don't even feel them. What frightened me most about the 5.1 was wondering if it was just a foreshock for a much larger quake.

I think it's about 76 degrees and sunny outside right now, so I'll take this climate even if it eventually kills me. I was in the upper MW for a few days this cold winter and I grew up there (Glad I did!), but for now I say, give me seventies or give me death!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-29-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo

I live in Whittier which is about a 2 minute drive from La Habra and I've felt about 5 or 6 aftershocks, 2 of them happening within 30 minutes just this morning. I was in the car during the big one and it felt intense. The aftershocks were a small shake, but they seemed intense because they were very loud. I've been in California my whole life so these aftershocks are nothing, but the big one was the slightest bit scary.
    The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!

I'm in Mission Viejo, 25 miles from the park, about 30 miles from the epicenter. It was about 15 seconds of sharp jolts. A lifelong Californian who dabbles in geology, I was mildly surprised to hear the amount of damage for a moderate quake but USGS says the quake was very shallow and combined with the fact it was on a blind thrust probably explains the damage.

Kudos as always to the Disneyland team. Hope someone posts a video of that Fantasmic! performance that was in progress.
    "Once upon a time there was a Magic Kingdom
    made of hopes and childhood fantasies
    A timeless place where every land was filled with wonder
    A place where everyone who enters its gates will be given the gift of the
    Young at Heart"

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    though the Yeti-master from WDW's AK currently the 3-year, Disneyland Resort president doesn't strike me as a "Break out the churros and serve free hot chocolate!" kind of leader.
    Well, I can tell you that if it was a bad enough earthquake to cause significant damage to the park, then my job as an ODV CM would have been to secure all of the money on the wagon and then take it backstage, so whatever churros or popcorn I had already made I would totally give out for free to people as they flee for their lives...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well, I can tell you that if it was a bad enough earthquake to cause significant damage to the park, then my job as an ODV CM would have been to secure all of the money on the wagon and then take it backstage, so whatever churros or popcorn I had already made I would totally give out for free to people as they flee for their lives...
    My nomination for post of the week
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Eighty miles or so to the northwest and we felt the big one. Just a little rolling kind of motion. Interesting to watch the Twitter interactions and reports of all the inspections and everything.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

As for the two attractions you're mentioning, you were at load at both Space and Matterhorn within 20 minutes of each other. Wow. When we were in the theater the two most violent shocks were only about 20 minutes apart. It seemed anyway.
    They were an hour apart, 8:03pm and the big one was at 9:09pm, according to the USGS. As soon as the Matterhorn was evacuated they cleared the line, and by (I'm guessing?) 8:45 the attractions were 104. I had a 8:55-9:55 Fastpass for Space Mountain, which is how I got on so quickly. I'm assuming the attractions were up rather quickly because the first earthquake was a mild seismic event, while the second one was more moderate.

Have you thought about writing a letter to Disneyland complimenting the Cast Members you encountered? I bet it would be refreshing for them to get a positive letter about their Cast Members, especially regarding their handling of the earthquakes, compared to the usual negative complaints they receive.
    Thanks for the reminder! I'll definitely take the time to do so.

DenyUntilCaught (a Micechater's name), glad to hear that at least some of our CM performed with Tokyo Disneyland-like professionalism. Now THEY knew how to respond to guests after their HUGE earthquake,though the Yeti-master from WDW's AK currently the 3-year, Disneyland Resort president doesn't strike me as a "Break out the churros and serve free hot chocolate!" kind of leader. I bet Universal Hollywood would do cool things for guests stuck there after a quake.
    Yes, this situation reminded me of all the coverage of Tokyo Disneyland during their disaster which, obviously, was much more severe. But I'm also assuming that they are much more accustomed to these type of events? Or perhaps I'm wrong.
    Last edited by denyuntilcaught; 03-29-2014 at 12:32 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Just felt another good jolt here in Pasadena. Must have been big at Disneyland.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Any reports of rides shutting down again?

I haven't felt any, but I felt the northridge one in 1994, that was damn scary. There were aftershocks for days. No power for 3 days where my parents lived. Worse on the valley.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Any reports of rides shutting down again?

A CM friend says that they are in the process of cycling out the ride now.

Question to everyone that was at Disneyland when the earthquakes happen: Where were you when it occured? What were you doing?

Last edited by The Disney Ninja; 03-29-2014 at 02:05 PM.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

Do earthquakes make noise or do you just hear the buildings and items in them making noise from moving? I really hope all this is over before our trip next Thurs. Not really interested in being there for it. One of my biggest fears is being on a tall bridge during one of them. The one in Riverside scares me. Actually, there are quite a few in Cali that share me but that is the one directly related to our trip next week.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast