Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake

•   
    • Minion

Re: Earthquake

Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    Do earthquakes make noise or do you just hear the buildings and items in them making noise from moving? I really hope all this is over before our trip next Thurs. Not really interested in being there for it. One of my biggest fears is being on a tall bridge during one of them. The one in Riverside scares me. Actually, there are quite a few in Cali that share me but that is the one directly related to our trip next week.
    Depends. With the ones I've actually felt and experienced, it sounds and feels a lot like a subway train most of the time. It's rumbling. On the other hand we had a scary one in LA about a month ago that started with a loud bang/slam before the rumble - friends of mine told me that they thought it was a plane crash, a bomb, etc. When I heard it and felt my building shake, I thought that a truck or car had crashed into the apartment building at first.

It's kind of surreal to think that you hear the earth move, but you do...

Everyone's rattled (pardon the pun) about this one, but keep in mind that a lot of little quakes are happening every week and you don't even feel them most of the time...
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Discovery Mountaineer

The gods have been angered by all this celebrating! One of my friends was there, they said there were no injuries, but it definitely caused quite a fright!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    The 5.1 was scary, the 3.6 twenty or so minutes later was interesting and kind of annoying--not at all scary, and the others have been so mild that they're a little bit interesting, though we usually don't even feel them. What frightened me most about the 5.1 was wondering if it was just a foreshock for a much larger quake.

I think it's about 76 degrees and sunny outside right now, so I'll take this climate even if it eventually kills me. I was in the upper MW for a few days this cold winter and I grew up there (Glad I did!), but for now I say, give me seventies or give me death!
    LOL, I am with you there! That was honestly one of the reasons I moved to Southern California, I couldn't take East Coast winters anymore. Whenever I hear about the snow/ice/freezing temps back East, in the Midwest - well, everywhere except here, it seems - all I can do is thank God I'm away from it and I'm in this lovely balmy weather.

I've had similar experiences with quakes - one or two have really scared me; most haven't, and I don't even feel the majority of them. I've actually been in buildings during quakes where everyone else feels it and I don't. It's weird.

With this one, though, since they've had SO MANY aftershocks and little quakes since yesterday night - five an hour for almost a day now - I can't help but think that there might be some poor folks right near the epicenter who have just spent the entire day and night being shaken...
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Chief Troublemaker

"Do earthquakes make noise or do you just hear the buildings and items in them making noise from moving? I really hope all this is over before our trip next Thurs. Not really interested in being there for it. One of my biggest fears is being on a tall bridge during one of them. The one in Riverside scares me. Actually, there are quite a few in Cali that share me but that is the one directly related to our trip next week".

Earthquakes make a 'rumbling' sound, similar to what a train or big truck sounds like when you're inside the house & they go by.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

Didn't feel the 4.1 today at all..

Felt the 4.1 in Anaheim, it was really quick, mostly just 1 jolt. Looks like the rides did close and are back open again.

• Under that tree again!

Do earthquakes make noise or do you just hear the buildings and items in them making noise from moving? I really hope all this is over before our trip next Thurs. Not really interested in being there for it. One of my biggest fears is being on a tall bridge during one of them. The one in Riverside scares me. Actually, there are quite a few in Cali that share me but that is the one directly related to our trip next week.

They are no big deal.

Dante's Peak (10/10) Movie CLIP - The Volcano Explodes (1997) HD - YouTube
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• I'm not really here

Do earthquakes make noise or do you just hear the buildings and items in them making noise from moving?
    Well, when you think about what an Earthquake is, it most definitely makes a sound of its own. Like dropping a stone in a pond and seeing ripples spread out, when a fault snaps, literal waves spread out through the ground in all directions. Like all waves, they carry energy (amplitude) and they have a frequency (how close together they are). Amplitude relates to volume and frequency to pitch. The more energy involved in an earthquake the more amplitude and higher frequency the waves will be. Above about a 4 on the scale and it actually is audible as a rumble.

Another factor in hearing it is the type of material you are on. Waves travel differently through materials of different density. Like trying to hear someone speaking above water when you are underwater. Seismic waves affect different materials differently. Bedrock vs soil, etc. This is also why some people a mere mile apart can feel the quake very differently, or not at all.

One last thing. If you put enough energy into things, they do mind boggling things. Like slow motion photography of a ball hitting a bat and seeming to become liquid as it wraps around the curve of the bat, or a cymbal flexing like it is soft plastic... the energy of an earthquake (which is phenomenally huge), actually causes ripples in the seemingly solid ground. That's why things bounce up and down, those waves with peaks and troughs passing through the surface repeatedly.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Discovery Mountaineer

How ironic, that right after they remove the earthquake scene from thunder and open it back up, there is an earthquake. Imagine how confused someone would be when they felt an earthquake in that scene!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    ... the energy of an earthquake (which is phenomenally huge), actually causes ripples in the seemingly solid ground. That's why things bounce up and down, those waves with peaks and troughs passing through the surface repeatedly.
    Born and raised in San Diego and living most of my life here, I've experienced a lot of earthquakes. Usually, they have been in the morning and generally short, so I've been inside for the duration.

However, during the 2010 Baja California 7.2 quake, with most of the energy directed to the northwest and lasting a full 1.5 minutes, I made it outside into the street. Watching waves make their way down the asphalt street and cement sidewalks, watching my house and cars rock like small boats in the sea, that was one of the eeriest things I have ever seen. Solid streets and ground with was seemed like foot high waves and troughs bouncing the entire neighborhood. Craziness!

30.5 miles from Disneyland and I really felt it, felt like 20 secs of real rolling, I was upstairs and the wind chimes were swinging like crazy.... I would not like to have been in one of the enclosed attractions, yikes...
    not as strong as Sylmar, Northridge (Reseda)... but really went on and on...
    USGS has a survey, "How did you react?"
    they do not offer an option for
    e. Insist it stop... "stop it, stop it right now, now stop that....... "

was anyone on... Pirates? Haunted Mansion?

Was leaving the parking structure just making a left turn on my way out toward the exit ramp on Daisy level. Though something had happen to the car! It felt like running over a very rough uneven road. Did not know until I got home (64 miles from DLR ) that I saw it was an earth quake!

Thanks for the replies about the sounds earthquakes make .

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Watching waves make their way down the asphalt street and cement sidewalks, watching my house and cars rock like small boats in the sea, that was one of the eeriest things I have ever seen. Solid streets and ground with was seemed like foot high waves and troughs bouncing the entire neighborhood. Craziness!
    As scary as the idea of being in a large earthquake is, that is something I would like to see... waves of solid Earth rippling past. Think about the energy it takes to do something like that.

A 5.1 quake like yesterdays releases 13 megatons worth of energy in a matter of seconds.
    That 7.2? 18.6 GIGAtons of energy. Enough to power the entire US for 275 days.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

On Paradise Pier at DCA, they didn't tell us anything. In the World of Color viewing area, nobody was prompted to move. People were evacuated from Goofy's Sky School and guests waiting for Jumping Jellyfish were told to get out of line. Other than that we weren't given any additional instructions. Even the churro cart was selling churros afterwards and nobody got out of line either.

We weren't directed to a "safe haven" or anything like that. Were we supposed to?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast