Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: Earthquake

The fact that they are even TALKING about a 7.5 on the Whittier Narrows/Puente Hills Thrust Fault kind of has me spooked. Not only would my house take a major hit if something that big and that close were to hit, but Disneyland is just a few miles from what could be the epicenter. I was always thinking that our distance from San Andreas would at least absorb some energy when and if the big one hit, but this info put things in a completely different light for me. As for Disneyland, you couldn't pay me to be in Mickey and Friends during something that big. It might very well be perfectly safe during a seven pointer, but I'll bet the engineers that built that freeway up in the bay area thought it was pretty safe at the time. Ditto with that overpass near Magic Mountain. I think the rides will all make it through just fine. I think hose parking structures are the only locations that would give me the heebie jeebies in a large earthquake.

Although I wouldn't be too thrilled to be in the Hyperion during a seven pointer either.

....or the top floor of one of those hotels.

Here's the LA Times article that caught my eye:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2xP4cRIA7
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 03-30-2014 at 07:47 AM.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well, I can tell you that if it was a bad enough earthquake to cause significant damage to the park, then my job as an ODV CM would have been to secure all of the money on the wagon and then take it backstage, so whatever churros or popcorn I had already made I would totally give out for free to people as they flee for their lives...
    Good response. And as a Jungle Cruise Guide I would have walked around and seen how long I could appear to be extraordinarily heroic till some guest yelled out that my gun had blanks and everyone realized that I was full of BS.

So update us on the ODV major earthquake instructions in the Pressler-Rasulo-Iger-Staggs-Crofton eras: "Although guest safety is important for preventing lawsuits, never forget that our first goal is to maintain the exorbitant compensation packages of your rulers, some of whom are worth more than 1,000 of you. So first get your inventory backstage and secure Disney's leaders' money. Then. . ."

• Thinking about doughnuts

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    As scary as the idea of being in a large earthquake is, that is something I would like to see...
    One thing you don't want to try is being in a tall building during a quake. It sucked. It was just a 5.something and I was on the fifth floor of a seven story building. It swayed back and forth slowly. It was incredibly creepy. There's nowhere to go. You're just up in this tall slowly swaying structure and you have to ride it out. This wasn't even a really tall building. Up until that point buildings looked so solid to me. I knew that they swayed but being inside one while it did was extremely disconcerting. I've never looked at a building the same since then.

That's what quakes do. Things you previously considered so massive and inflexible turn out to move quite a bit with enough of a shove.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    As for Disneyland, you couldn't pay me to be in Mickey and Friends during something that big.
    Mickey and Friends would be horrible. You can feel the thing move a bit when a large car drives by. Having that whole thing swaying... I'd just be waiting for it to pancake. Squish!

•   
    • Minion

Being in a swaying building is something that sounds very, very frightening. On the other hand...with a lot of newer buildings, isn't a bit of 'sway' and movement ability part of the engineering, and designed to help the building deal with stress? In NYC the Twin Towers used to sway slightly in high winds and it was part of the design. I've also heard of buildings being constructed on rollers for the same reason; to help mitigate seismic stress.

So perhaps it might be comforting to know that the building you're in has been designed to stand up better to large quakes? Ah, who am I kidding, I still think it would be traumatic to be in a swaying building and I'd still be in tears, probably.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• I'm not really here

The fact that they are even TALKING about a 7.5 on the Whittier Narrows/Puente Hills Thrust Fault kind of has me spooked.
    They've come to the realization in recent years that the San Andreas may not actually be the fault to worry about. Some of these blind thrusts are capable of devastatingly large quakes, and they run under the entire basin. It's bad enough with a 5 releasing tension and dealing with 3 and 4 level aftershocks for days, but a 7 and larger is going to have aftershocks of 5 and 6 for days and 3 and 4 for weeks. Then they start worrying about the stress build up in all the surrounding faults, and there are hundreds in LA. Did this quake relieve stress or add stress? The hardest natural disaster to predict.

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    One thing you don't want to try is being in a tall building during a quake. It sucked. It was just a 5.something and I was on the fifth floor of a seven story building. It swayed back and forth slowly. It was incredibly creepy. There's nowhere to go. You're just up in this tall slowly swaying structure and you have to ride it out. This wasn't even a really tall building. Up until that point buildings looked so solid to me. I knew that they swayed but being inside one while it did was extremely disconcerting. I've never looked at a building the same since then.

That's what quakes do. Things you previously considered so massive and inflexible turn out to move quite a bit with enough of a shove.
    Have you seen the video in the skyscrapers that have the counterweight in them? One at the top of Taipei 101. Here's video of it during an Earthquake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYSgd1XSZXc It absorbs the energy and keeps the building from swaying. Even absorbs wind motion.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldMissingPants View Post
    . . . People were evacuated from Goofy's Sky School. . .
    Imagine not only dying on Goofy's Sky School, but subsequently having your friends learn that you were on Goofy's Sky School. An honorable, old school E ticket ending for me, please.

Like the Transformers films that change at Universal's parks when the ride temporarily stops, the Soarin' film changes for the "hang gliders" becoming unhinged and falling in different scenes. When the Golden Gate scene ends violently in real life, Disney imagineers have set it up so injured guests will get splashed with actual salt water. And if your glider crashes onto the 110 in L.A., drivers will rush out of and over from their cars, yelling into their cell phones, ". . .terrible accident!. . ."

With all the effort and $ it took to film this, it'd almost be tragic if this DOESN'T ever happen!

• Minion

Yeah, I think "earthquake safe" buildings are DESIGNED to sway along with the quake. If they are too rigid while the earth is moving then there is larger risk of damage. So while it's still scary, the swaying is probably a good thing.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    They've come to the realization in recent years that the San Andreas may not actually be the fault to worry about. Some of these blind thrusts are capable of devastatingly large quakes, and they run under the entire basin. It's bad enough with a 5 releasing tension and dealing with 3 and 4 level aftershocks for days, but a 7 and larger is going to have aftershocks of 5 and 6 for days and 3 and 4 for weeks. Then they start worrying about the stress build up in all the surrounding faults. . .
    Ha! Good one Mycroft16!
    You just made all that up to scare us!
    (You almost had me with that ominous, B-movie use of "they" you began with!) Well done! Again:

• Master Gracey's Music Man

I've been staying in Irvine since Friday and I felt it in my hotel room. Call it crazy but I didn't feel phased by it even with the building swaying during the dispersion of force.
    It sucks that there was all of that damage and everything out in La Habra and surrounding areas. I felt a quake today while at a park in orange too.
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

Although I wouldn't be too thrilled to be in the Hyperion during a seven pointer either.
    How about the bottom level of the front show building of POTC?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    How about the bottom level of the front show building of POTC?
    Or try dropping 13 stories on Tower during a 6 plus...
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Mickey and Friends would be horrible. You can feel the thing move a bit when a large car drives by. Having that whole thing swaying... I'd just be waiting for it to pancake. Squish!
    It was a weird experience... O_O

Think the texture on the structure floor actually help in not having the car slide around and also made it rock a bit more. Proabbly about a high D to low E coupon ride...

I was at Disneyland during the earthquake. To me, it felt like I standing on a bridge with cars going by. We were in the fastpass line for RSR in Cars Land when it happened. Then empty cars were sent by and they said that they encountered a problem so we left. Appearently the rides reopened much later that night.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Ha! Good one Mycroft16!
    You just made all that up to scare us!
    (You almost had me with that ominous, B-movie use of "they" you began with!) Well done! Again:
    I wish I were making it up. The Puente hills fault is considered far more dangerous than the San Andreas.

Earthquake may have hit on dangerous fault that worries scientists - latimes.com

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article...9#.Uzg1n9VdWSo

http://www.scec.org/research/030404dolan.html

The 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake was on the Puente Hills fault. They didn't eve discover this fault until 1999. And since then it has been upgraded to being the most significantly worrying fault in the entire region. It has produced 7.5 quakes historically. It runs under directly under some densely populated areas in the heart of the basin.

Those mountains just north of the fault? Those were lifted up by earthquakes on this fault. The San Andreas fault, by contrast, runs up through Palmdale and San Bernardino with significant mountains between it and the city.

If you ask a local geologist or seismologist, this is the fault they will tell you to be scared of.

Here is a simulation run of a 7.2 on the Puente Hills fault. Look how long the estimated shaking is and notice that the worst of it runs between the hills north of Brea-Yorba Linda south through to the coast.
    http://visservices.sdsc.edu/projects...peg4.0_800.mov
    Last edited by mycroft16; 03-30-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
    They were an hour apart, 8:03pm and the big one was at 9:09pm, according to the USGS. As soon as the Matterhorn was evacuated they cleared the line, and by (I'm guessing?) 8:45 the attractions were 104. I had a 8:55-9:55 Fastpass for Space Mountain, which is how I got on so quickly. I'm assuming the attractions were up rather quickly because the first earthquake was a mild seismic event, while the second one was more moderate.

Thanks for the reminder! I'll definitely take the time to do so.

Yes, this situation reminded me of all the coverage of Tokyo Disneyland during their disaster which, obviously, was much more severe. But I'm also assuming that they are much more accustomed to these type of events? Or perhaps I'm wrong.
    Got it, deny! We were at Downtown Disney and didn't even feel the 8:03 one.

So I can see now why maybe the 104s came about a little more quickly after that first one at 8:03.

The two strong ones we felt were the 9:09 one and the one that came about 9:30 (?) or so. I would think the 101s held longer for those.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast