Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake

• The Tomorrowland One

Re: Earthquake

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I wish I were making it up. The Puente hills fault is considered far more dangerous than the San Andreas.
    Yeah. There's even visible surface evidence of that fault up in the canyon the 57 runs through. Look to the right of the freeway when heading north and you can see a weird box canyon thing that is the fault line.

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    It might very well be perfectly safe during a seven pointer, but I'll bet the engineers that built that freeway up in the bay area thought it was pretty safe at the time
    That freeway (cyprus freeway, I am assuming), built in the 50s, should never have been built that way. Not only was it a badly designed double-decker (There are good-designed ones), but it used a single support system and did not really use rebar in the support properly. Lots of video an pictures.

Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of people really knew or thought about that until it failed.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterfly74 View Post
    Gives new meaning to Mr. Toads Wild Ride & California Screamin'

In the meantime, the new safety announcement on rides is "Please remain seated till the ground comes to a full & complete stop"

It's interesting watching all the activity on Twitter that was unfolding while it was happening. Proof that social networking is more important than making sure you're safe first.

There were 2 pre-shockers before the 5.1 though. Must not of been felt though. Some reports are saying that it's good we're having these "little" ones to help elevate the pressure so we don't have "the big one".
    That 7.1 a couple Easter's ago was not fun at all.
    The 7.1 earthquake was the worst. I was walking through a field near San Diego when it hit and it was like standing on a table while someone was shaking it. At least this one ended after a few seconds.

•   

I was at the park on Saturday when the 4.1 hit, my friends were there the night before on Friday when the bigger one hit. A few of us on Main Street ( Saturday ) felt the tremor where we were standing, the vast majority of people didn't notice at all. The horse pulling the trolley shuddered a bit before it hit, but not more than a second or two before.

I get that they had to shut down all the attractions until the all-clear was received, but why Mr. Lincoln? I figured it was the one thing I could go watch while the rest of the park re-opened and even that was closed? Was there some chance he'd come to life and attack? ( aka - Westworld Syndrome. ) He could have done the whole show sitting down and I would have been fine with it.

Anyhow, it was no big deal and the vast majority of people didn't even notice it. Now the reactions of people in the park to finding out that attractions were closed? Oh man, I was way more concerned with them. People just lose their marbles and go on the psychotic warpath. Way to go humanity! Way to keep your cool. Geez.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    \but why Mr. Lincoln? I figured it was the one thing I could go watch while the rest of the park re-opened and even that was closed?
    Probably needed to check the building itself.
    Do they usher people out of the stores and stuff along Main Street as well?

If they aren't ushering people out of the shops, and only Lincoln was still closed, then it was checking the hydraulics and show elements themselves before reopening.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Princess View Post
    The 7.1 earthquake was the worst. I was walking through a field near San Diego when it hit and it was like standing on a table while someone was shaking it. At least this one ended after a few seconds.

I somehow managed to sleep right through it, had no clue there even was one until I got to work that night and co-workers were talking about it. (I was working graveyards so was sleeping during the day.)

Do they have a general announcement during an earthquake. I remember on the Japan Quake, videos at TDL had the "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are currently experiencing an earthquake..." (In multiple languages) Curious if Disneyland uses a simular announcement....

I was up at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank when the earthquake hit, but I actually didn't feel it.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    Do they have a general announcement during an earthquake. I remember on the Japan Quake, videos at TDL had the "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are currently experiencing an earthquake..." (In multiple languages) Curious if Disneyland uses a simular announcement....

No, no announcement. I was on Main Street out in the open and if one was made anywhere, you'd think this place would have been the most likely to hear one. It would probably panic some people so maybe that was a good call not to. Also, the shops did remain open while Lincoln closed but I still buy Mycroft's explanation. Yes, they ushered people out of the show.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• The Pumpkin King

In Oceanside here, we felt it. Granted it was small though.

• Banned User

I was at home in Hollywood but didn't feel a thing. All weekend long. Nothing. My mom who lives in La Habra and my brother in Mission Viejo both texted me to see if I was fine. I was like, huh?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
    People started screaming and running back through the queue as CM's walked towards cover. Everything was shaking and rattling,

That's funny

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    Do earthquakes make noise or do you just hear the buildings and items in them making noise from moving? I really hope all this is over before our trip next Thurs. Not really interested in being there for it. One of my biggest fears is being on a tall bridge during one of them. The one in Riverside scares me. Actually, there are quite a few in Cali that share me but that is the one directly related to our trip next week.
    There's a bridge in Riverside? A bridge to what? Earthquakes don't seem to make any noise. Although in '94 I seem to recall there was noise, but I think it sounded like something hitting or slamming.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    There's a bridge in Riverside?
    Yes.

A bridge to what?
    Arlington Heights.

Earthquakes don't seem to make any noise.
    Yes they do.

Although in '94 I seem to recall there was noise, but I think it sounded like something hitting or slamming.
    Odd thing to say one sentence after you said they don't
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I wish I were making it up. The Puente hills fault is considered far more dangerous than the San Andreas.
    I know. I was like, it's not made up. Why would somebody make that up?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast