New BTMRR questions

I finally had a chance to ride the new BTMRR and had a few questions.

** WARNING: Spoilers ahead **

1. Did they add LIMs to the station? I always thought this was just a gravity release before, but now it seems like the train leaves the station must faster now.

2. Did they add LIMs to the lift hills? I may have been too busy paying attention to the new special effects, but I didn't notice the usually jarring chain catch while going up the lift hills.

3. Were the windows to the shops of Rainbow Ridge clear before? I seem to remember the windows being opaque in the past, but I was surprised to be able to see great details in the shops now.

The waterfall over the first lift hill was not working, but I'm assuming this was just temporary.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Last edited by DuckyDelite; 04-02-2014 at 07:31 AM.

• Under that tree again!

Re: New BTMRR questions

I think you might want to see the quoted article in this thread.
    Disney working toward shorter waits. Think it's working?
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Your cadaverous pallor

There is a chain on the lift and because this is true it is very unlikely there is enough limted room on the bottom of the train for both the LIM magnetic strips and the chain resepter i'm not saying it's not possible but it just seems unlikely that just for the station perpell there would be LIM's

I wish there was no wait on dumbo at dlr.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckyDelite View Post

The waterfall over the first lift hill was not working, but I'm assuming this was just temporary.

Thanks in advance or any info.
    Correct, the waterfall is still in the ride and I assume it was just turned off when you went on it
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Thunder Mountain has always used LIMs as boosters to move the trains in and out of the station. This is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I think you might want to see the quoted article in this thread.
    Disney working toward shorter waits. Think it's working?
    "At Pirates of the Caribbean, a water jet now loads boats a split-second faster"

That gives me a mental picture of CMs using high-pressure hoses to spray guests off the loading dock into the boats, like rioters.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    "At Pirates of the Caribbean, a water jet now loads boats a split-second faster"

That gives me a mental picture of CMs using high-pressure hoses to spray guests off the loading dock into the boats, like rioters.
    So THAT's why there's so much water in the POTC boats these days!

** WARNING: Spoilers ahead **

1. Did they add LIMs to the station? I always thought this was just a gravity release before, but now it seems like the train leaves the station must faster now.

2. Did they add LIMs to the lift hills? I may have been too busy paying attention to the new special effects, but I didn't notice the usually jarring chain catch while going up the lift hills.

3. Where the windows to the shops of Rainbow Ridge clear before? I seem to remember the windows being opaque in the past, but I was surprised to be able to see great details in the shops now.

Thanks in advance or any info.
    1) no
    2) no
    3) not sure, but they remade the buildings to be full scale to the track now.
    4) waterfall is an on again off again thing.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Where the windows to the shops of Rainbow Ridge clear before? I seem to remember the windows being opaque in the past, but I was surprised to be able to see great details in the shops now.
    IIRC, you could sort of see in some of the old buildings, but it's much easier now.

Here are some photos of the old Rainbow Ridge from Daveland.

Thanks for the links. I did not remember being able to look directly into the Saloon before, but I guess it always had those saloon doors. I rode at night and was amazed at the detail inside. Guess I just hit it at the right time to see everything.

^This might be an answer to your lift hill question:

As technology has advanced, parks (in the 90's) started switching to variable speed motors. This allowed the lift chain to crawl at a snail's pace. When a train approaches, the lift would speed up to whatever was needed, then go back to idling when the train passed the crest.

The jerk you commonly feel catching the train is the weight of the train pushing against the suspension pulley. This suspension pulley is actually what takes the initial impact of the train engaging the lift versus putting that stress on the motor and chain directly. It also takes up any slack that may be in the chain, keeping it tight around all the gears.

BTM's original motors (I assume) were not variable speed motors. They always ran at a constant speed no matter what. The trains approach the chain slightly faster than the chain itself is moving. As the train starts going up gravity takes over and the chain dog (the widget that engages the chain) slams back against the chain. You then feel the motor power up under the weight of the train, compensating for the added weight.

I'm assuming the motors got replaced with variable speed motors in the refurb. When the lift is not in use, it "idles" or crawls at just a few inches per second. This is to keep the motor warmed up while the ride is in operation. As a train approaches the lift, it uses a set of proximity switches to detect the speed of the train. The motor then matches the chain to that speed. The result is a more gradual and softer engaging of the chain. Once the train has engaged the chain, the motor then slows down to the pre-programed speed.

Hope that helped haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisk View Post
    1) no
    2) no
    3) not sure, but they remade the buildings to be full scale to the track now.
    4) waterfall is an on again off again thing.
    The buildings are not full scale to the track, they are the same "smaller scale" that they were before in their previous configuration as Rainbow Ridge was rebuilt exactly the same way it was before.