Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Could you visit Disneyland/WDW for a day, without your cell phone?

The world has sure changed since I was born. I am older than some of you, and perhaps a bit younger than a few. I can't walk down the street in my city of Chicago without seeing people talking on their cell phones. I was crossing the street one day, and the driver stopped his car over the crosswalk. I motioned for him to backup, so I could cross safely. He wasn't paying attention to me because he was using his phone. Most likely sending a text. The majority of people seem to be permanently attached to their phones. Hey some houses don't even have land lines anymore, because each member of the family has their own cell phone. The world seems to revolve around it.

All this talk about Magic Bands, and Fastpass Plus, got me to thinking. Could you, or could I, for that matter spend a day at Disneyland, and/or Disney World without a cell phone. Cell phones are great for what they do. It used to be that a phone was just for making phone calls. Nowadays, phones/cellphones in particular, do so much more. They are a costly part of most people's monthly budgets.

I recently bought an iPhone, and I marvel at what it does. However, I turn it off on occasion, and I don't always have it with me. I use the alarm on it, to wake me up from time to time. I check my mail on it. I have even put this new My Disney Experience App on it for my up and coming trip to Disney World. It contains a lot of vital information that I may need while vacationing at Disney World.

Now back to my question.

Could I spend a day at Disneyland/WDW without my cellphone?

I think I could, especially at Disneyland. I usually turn my phone off when I am traveling. Disneyland has been mentioned as a place where you can escape the outside world. I, for one, would love to spend a day at Disneyland without the interruption of the cell phone explosion.

Re: Could you visit Disneyland/WDW for a day, without your cell phone?

I could, however we let the older kids go off by themselves and we keep in contact with them through our phones. Other than that I don't use my phone at DL.

• formerly very helpful

Honestly, as much as I'm not a huge cellphone user, it would be very hard to not have it at least in case of emergencies. Yes, I do remember not having one for most of my life, and then being very reluctantly coerced into getting one. But now it's become such a part of life that with children, wife, elderly parents, I really feel I would need to have it. At least, I'd want it in my car so I can access it if I really, really have to.

sad, really.

but I DON'T have a smart phone or any kind of online access from my phone, so at least I never spend time at Disneyland with distractions like that.

• Minion

Nope. What if something bad happened?
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Under that tree again!

I rarely carry my cell in the parks.

MM+ won't change that. It doesn't make cells necessary.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I remember the days when you would go somewhere, and you would have to plan ahead, where to meet. I also remember how much time I wasted waiting for people who were always late. Now people say I'll call you, or text you. I must admit that I even hate that worst. Being tied to the phone while you wait for the call, or the text, and if you miss it, the other person gets annoyed.

It is definitely a different world we live in.

I have my phone on me at all times everyday including the times that I am at Disneyland. But when I am there I do not touch it, its with me if I need it for an emergency, but other than that I am enjoying the park. Could help that I only visit once or twice so I am taking it all in. I am sure the locals there all the time couldn't do it as they don't take in the experience as the casual out of state visitor.

Im from Australia and went to Disneyland and the US for 3 weeks without a Cell Phone (Mobile Phone for us aussies).

I didn't find it a problem at all. When the Finace and i split up we just agreed to meet somewhere at a specific time.

If we needed a map we looked it up on our ipads before we left the hotel and memorised.

It was kind of liberating not having it and allowed us to focus on whats around us instead of worrying about checking twitter or facebook.

• Minion

Since I'm an out-of-towner, I'm truly on vacation while at the resort. I have no need for my phone so I always leave it at the hotel. It's one less thing to worry about and there's no chance of it getting lost/broken.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am sure that many people have their cellphone with them, and may not use it even once during the day. Or perhaps the phone is on their person, and they check it from time to time.

Not too many people go cold turkey. Unless of course, they happen to be the small majority of the population who don't even own a cellphone.

I often wonder if my husband would wonder if I didn't at least call him once a day during my Disneyland trips. I live in Chicago, and when I visit Disneyland, I leave my husband home. Disney is not his thing, at all. The time difference means that I normally have to try and find a quiet corner in the park, and ring him up. Not always the clearest connection. I guess I could send a text instead.

"Miss you, love you, enjoying my day at Disneyland. All is fine and well, and I'll tell Mickey you said Hello!"

• Disney Obsessed

ugh toughie!

I remember as a kid my dad let me cousin and I goof around by ourselves once, but we had watches and had to meet back at a certain time or ELSE! lol... my dad was actually not too far behind us the whole time making sure we didnt get into trouble haha.

but I don't really have a digital camera.. and I always want to instantly share my fun vacation photos with the world... and check in on my favorite rides. I don't know why I NEED to share these things INSTANTLY but I feel like I do.

I think for gumball weekend I will find my camera, and pull a Joe and his team move, and take pictures of the questions as we ride the rides... and then keep my phone in the locker the rest of the weekend too and only use my camera and see if I can do it.... I don't know if I can! hahaha but I'll try!

• Senior Minion

I definitely could, and have many times, but usually I have it with me. It's nice to be able to split up and just call and see where the rest of your group is. I've also occasionally used park related Apps on recent trips which is nice. But I don't spend any time having conversations or playing games or online when in the parks. But I'm also not one of the most hardcore phone lovers out there.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

I could for sure, I try to stay off mine as much as possible as I enjoy the atmosphere of the park and want to enjoy that as much as possible. The cell is nice to meet up with people and I use the wait time app which is helpful to plan around the attractions.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I know that my grandson could not go anywhere without his phone. He reminds me of that Universal Commercial, where the girl is traveling with her family, and preoccupied with her phone.

It really bugs me the people with the earbuds, hooked to their phone. I think they are talking to me, and they are talking on their phones, hands free.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Yes, I could...however its much easier to find the family if you become separated if you each have one.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast