Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My daughter is 20 and has Multiple sclerosis. The last 2 times we were there they said they would not give her a DAS card unless she was in a wheelchair.

Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

Quote Originally Posted by sstarlight View Post
    My daughter is 20 and has Multiple sclerosis. The last 2 times we were there they said they would not give her a DAS card unless she was in a wheelchair.
    Did you discuss with them how/why a DAS card was needed, but that she was still able to walk?

Yes, and we tried in both DL and DCA and were denied. She was frustrated and crying. Since she's young and not in a wheelchair she felt like they didn't believe her. I would have no problem showing her medical papers but they don't do that and her being the 20 year old she is, she feels that she is going thru enough without having to prove to people she has a disability that she would never lie about. Can't blame her for that.

Yes, and we tried in both DL and DCA and were denied. She was frustrated and crying. Since she's young and not in a wheelchair she felt like they didn't believe her. I would have no problem showing her medical papers but they don't do that and her being the 20 year old she is, she feels that she is going thru enough without having to prove to people she has a disability that she would never lie about. Can't blame her for that.
    Very sorry.

Thanks, I appreciate that. We have been APs for years and have only used GAC passes on 2 visits. We would never abuse them but when she felt like she really needed them and was treated like she was trying to scam the system it was truly heartbreaking. I remember standing on main street after she was denied a pass for the second time and her crying. All the sudden the happiest place on earth was not so happy. No 20 year old should have to be diagnosed with anything but then to be treated like they don't really have a disability because its not visible is unacceptable for anyone at any age. Thanks for listening, Iove Disney, just sad about that experience.

Thanks, I appreciate that. We have been APs for years and have only used GAC passes on 2 visits. We would never abuse them but when she felt like she really needed them and was treated like she was trying to scam the system it was truly heartbreaking. I remember standing on main street after she was denied a pass for the second time and her crying. All the sudden the happiest place on earth was not so happy. No 20 year old should have to be diagnosed with anything but then to be treated like they don't really have a disability because its not visible is unacceptable for anyone at any age. Thanks for listening, Iove Disney, just sad about that experience.
    They really do need to wise up that wheelchairs are not the best solution in many cases.

Super sorry about that. It really is a tough line to toe for Guest Relations CMs since they want to be super accommodating but obviously don't want Operations Managers to hate them for clogging up Fastpass queues with too many DAS cards. At one point, Racers gave out 2k fewer Fastpasses per day than Space Mountain even though both are E-tickets with almost identical capacity. Of that extra 2k, at least 1k was GAC/DAS cards. We actually kept hourly tallies at Merge a couple of weeks ago the number of Fastpasses, baby switches, VIP, DAS cards, Hotel Fastpass, etc. that came in through our Fastpass. While not quite at half anymore, DAS cards still make up anywhere from 30-45% of the hourly guests through Fastpass.

Because it's not quite at half anymore we've been increasing the number of Fastpasses in the morning so we can catch up to Space Mountain. Still, we're no where close to Space Mountain's ratio since the other day our Fastpass queue unexpectedly backed up to an hour. With no breakdowns at all earlier that day, the sole cause for this back-up was Management prematurely trying to approach Space Mountain's ratio. It's not the end of the world when back-ups happens, but it's a little frustrating for the 300-500 guests in Stand-by if we have to adjust our pulsing to clear the back-up and Stand-by goes from a 105/120 minute wait to a 180-200 minute wait. TDA unfortunately has a monetary incentive to approach Space Mountain's ratio since it means an extra 800-1k lucrative tourists get Fastpasses for the $200 million E-ticket everyone plans their day/vacation around. Casualties unfortunately happen, especially when TDA knows the current Fastpass deficit is theoretically costing Disney at least $10 million annually. Sorry you happened to be one of them.

Not sure what TDA means but what I'm reading is that the GAC is disrupting the tourist people and their fastpasses. Hopefully I'm interpeting this wrong.

• Certified DL Addict

That's horrible My bf and I are in our mid-twenties, but thankfully we didn't get the same treatment from a cast member. All we did was explain that he couldn't stand for long periods of time and needed to sit often. I would write to DL Guest Services, because if their higher-ups really think a wheelchair is the magic accomodation then they need additional training.

Not sure what TDA means but what I'm reading is that the GAC is disrupting the tourist people and their fastpasses. Hopefully I'm interpeting this wrong.
    Team Disney Anaheim(TDA) is the acronym we use for all the MBAs, lawyers, and accountants in that giant office building on Ball Road. Some of us also use it as a euphemism for management at the resort in general. Others use the term "bean counters".

In short, yes, more DAS cards means fewer Fastpasses for tourists and less money for Disney. DAS cards occasionally "disrupt" normal operations if they cause a Fastpass back-up, but that just adds an extra hour to the Stand-by queue. Standby-by queues are mostly filled with APs and lower budget tourists so both Management and frontline CMs don't feel too guilty about extending their wait on occasion if it means catering to DAS cards and high-budget tourists. Still, I think it's a little inconsiderate if a family was waiting in Stand-by for an hour, expecting only a 90-120 minute wait, and their wait gets bumped up to 120-180 minutes due to a Fastpass back-up.

Part of the problem with DAS cards, baby switch passes, and VIPs is that they can come at any time. Fastpasses expire and are evenly spread throughout the day. When you get a time with a DAS card it never expires. Of course, you can only have one DAS time at once so that gives guests an incentive to use it right away. Another problem is the time they give you for a DAS card is based on the stand-by wait, not a virtual wait based on other DAS cards, baby switch, Fastpasses, and VIPs. There's nothing in place to stop 15 parties of six from getting a time and all 90 of them showing up at the same time after waiting a virtual wait of 60-105 minutes. If Fastpass+ comes to the resort I'd like to see them add a parallel virtual queue to extremely popular Fastpass attractions to evenly space out DAS cards, baby switch, and VIPs.

• Certified DL Addict

I do think the open return time should be changed on the DAS cards... when we were in line for the Guest Service CM the mother in front of us said "Yeah put us down for Racers, that way when get back from the hotel naps we can go right on"... so at that point she was just using it for instant access on her return
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by the702senior09 View Post
    I do think the open return time should be changed on the DAS cards... when we were in line for the Guest Service CM the mother in front of us said "Yeah put us down for Racers, that way when get back from the hotel naps we can go right on"... so at that point she was just using it for instant access on her return
    The purpose of having an open ended time for DAS cards is that it allows guests to deal with whatever they may need to in regards to their disability without losing their wait time. If that means "waiting" while taking a needed break, it's allowed and even encouraged. It's really not that different than having a FP return time for after your break.

• Indiana Scott

This wont help everybody but, My son has disabilities that cause him problems waiting in long lines. The first couple of years we got GAC's (then called "Happy Hearts") but after that we just planned on coming at the slowest times of year and that solved the problem better than the pass. This made for a better vacation for our whole family because none of us had to wait and we enjoyed the park on a calmer note.
    And on a purely personal note, I felt guilty for having a pass to more of less cut in front of people. (I am NOT saying people should feel guilty - just that I did).
    Again, I know this isn't the answer for everyone but it can helps some.
    Last edited by ScottG; 04-06-2014 at 01:29 PM.

• Certified DL Addict

The only people that should feel guilty are the ones who abuse it... though I can understand where you're coming from on that one.

At first I felt guilty, but then I realized if we were really waiting for the ride (and not sneaking in other rides/shows during our wait time like some people who got it just to abuse it) it didn't really make a difference if we were sitting outside the ride or if we were standing in line. With what we needed the GAC for we could still wait, just with the small accomodation of sitting Not that this applies to everyone, kinda like you said, because everyone's reason for a GAC is different.

Slow times are a great suggestion too... however he wanted to take me to Dapper Days for my birthday in February and we all know that will NEVER be a slow day at Disneyland, lol.
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*

•   
    • Minion

I do wish they would introduce a little more flexibility with the DAS system or at least a few types of DAS, as they had with the GACs.

I'm not eligible for a DAS anymore, since the only accommodation I need is to avoid stairs. I'm supposed to talk to CMs at the rides with stairs at the exits, and go to the kiosks for return times for rides with stairs at the entrances. I've been assured up and down that CMs know this system - but it HAS led to a few little debates with Cast Members who apparently DON'T know the rules. At RSR the other night I ended up nearly getting into a debate with a CM who was trying to send me to the regular loading area. The way it has always gone on RSR is that whatever line you are on - Fastpass, Standby or Single Rider - you wait in the line with everyone else, and if you need the disabled loading area you tell them when you get close to the front. When I had a GAC this was never an issue. This last time, though, it went something like this:

CM: please go this way.
    Me: I need to avoid stairs *points to alternate loading area*
    CM: Single riders go this way *points to regular line*
    Me: But I can't do stairs. I need the handicapped loading area.
    CM: Go this way.
    Me: I. Need. The. Disabled. Access. Line.
    CM: *rolls eyes and waves me away*

This exchange a) held up the line; b) was somewhat stressful. In the past I could get a GAC, show it to the CM, and be on my way in a second. Now, I have to stand there and have a long song and dance with the CMs and pray that they won't challenge me.

I really wish they would give me something like a flashpass with a "no stairs" stamp on it so I didn't have to go through this whole monologue with the CMs every time I want to ride something.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast