Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49
  1. #31

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    799

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    CM: please go this way.
    Me: I need to avoid stairs *points to alternate loading area*
    CM: Single riders go this way *points to regular line*

    I'm not sure about the regular line, but the way the single rider line generally gets up to the actual ride vehicles is a two part ramp with a turn.

    There are stairs up as well (on the side if you go left toward the wheelchair loading area) but I've never been sent up them as a single. It's actually usually chained off. I've always been directed up the ramp, which makes sense as it holds more people. So if you were in the single rider line, you probably wouldn't have ended up on stairs anyway.

  2. #32

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,858

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by theatremouse View Post
    I'm not sure about the regular line, but the way the single rider line generally gets up to the actual ride vehicles is a two part ramp with a turn.

    There are stairs up as well (on the side if you go left toward the wheelchair loading area) but I've never been sent up them as a single. It's actually usually chained off. I've always been directed up the ramp, which makes sense as it holds more people. So if you were in the single rider line, you probably wouldn't have ended up on stairs anyway.[/COLOR]
    The problem is the stairs at the exit.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  3. #33

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by theatremouse View Post
    I'm not sure about the regular line, but the way the single rider line generally gets up to the actual ride vehicles is a two part ramp with a turn.

    There are stairs up as well (on the side if you go left toward the wheelchair loading area) but I've never been sent up them as a single. It's actually usually chained off. I've always been directed up the ramp, which makes sense as it holds more people. So if you were in the single rider line, you probably wouldn't have ended up on stairs anyway.[/COLOR]
    On RSR there are always stairs to exit unless you use the handicapped loading area. So it's not about getting on the ride; it's about leaving.

    With the disabled loading on RSR, you load and unload on the same side, so you exit via a ramp and avoid the stairs. I have always been told to ask to be sent to the disabled loading area on RSR for that reason. The CM should have immediately known that.

    The same is true on iasw, Goofy's Sky School and Space Mountain - the stairs on the exit side are the issue, so I have to use the disabled loading docks that provide an alternative exit. In all of those cases, you exit the ride on the same side you boarded and have a ramp to leave, instead of going the other way and encountering stairs.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  4. #34

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    343

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I do wish they would introduce a little more flexibility with the DAS system or at least a few types of DAS, as they had with the GACs.


    CM: please go this way.
    Me: I need to avoid stairs *points to alternate loading area*
    CM: Single riders go this way *points to regular line*
    Me: But I can't do stairs. I need the handicapped loading area.
    CM: Go this way.
    Me: I. Need. The. Disabled. Access. Line.
    CM: *rolls eyes and waves me away*

    This exchange a) held up the line; b) was somewhat stressful. In the past I could get a GAC, show it to the CM, and be on my way in a second. Now, I have to stand there and have a long song and dance with the CMs and pray that they won't challenge me.

    I really wish they would give me something like a flashpass with a "no stairs" stamp on it so I didn't have to go through this whole monologue with the CMs every time I want to ride something.
    I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess this CM was a female under the age of 30. There are a couple Pit Crew members who transferred over from the toxic culture/work environment of Tomorrowland Attractions so some of those bad habits haven't disappeared yet. They probably won't disappear due to union politics, unfortunately.

    What's interesting is during "power hours" we actually pull Single Riders over to the GDW(wheelchair) station on a regular basis to fill cars and boost our counts. Single Riders are sometimes a little tricky to deal with over at the GDW station but that's only when a group of Single Riders is trying to go in the same car/pretend they aren't Single Riders. During non-"power" hours I sometimes hesitate to throw Single Riders into GDW cars since those guests tend to be a lot bigger/need more personal space.

  5. #35

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess this CM was a female under the age of 30. There are a couple Pit Crew members who transferred over from the toxic culture/work environment of Tomorrowland Attractions so some of those bad habits haven't disappeared yet. They probably won't disappear due to union politics, unfortunately.

    What's interesting is during "power hours" we actually pull Single Riders over to the GDW(wheelchair) station on a regular basis to fill cars and boost our counts. Single Riders are sometimes a little tricky to deal with over at the GDW station but that's only when a group of Single Riders is trying to go in the same car/pretend they aren't Single Riders. During non-"power" hours I sometimes hesitate to throw Single Riders into GDW cars since those guests tend to be a lot bigger/need more personal space.
    Guy who appeared to be in his 30s, actually, but I'd never seen him at RSR before, so perhaps he was another transfer from Tomorrowland.

    What you're saying makes it even more bizarre that he fought sending me over to the disabled line...wow.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  6. #36

    • #bringevilback
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Just avoiding stairs is hit and miss, but it's gotten better as they got used to the new program. Thunder is is pain though, as that return line is always 30-45 minutes after you come back, a mass of DAS, wheelchairs, and no stair people.... It's been a while since I've had to argue with a CM but some times I do have to repeat it a few times. A card to flash would be nice and I doubt it would be in high demand/abused as the wait usually ends up a little longer.

    Now ow at WDW I had a CM argue with me saying "it's just a few steps" and REFUSED to let me in the accessible line.

  7. #37

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post

    Now ow at WDW I had a CM argue with me saying "it's just a few steps" and REFUSED to let me in the accessible line.
    I really, really hope you reported that one to City Hall? That's totally wrong.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  8. #38

    • #bringevilback
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I really, really hope you reported that one to City Hall? That's totally wrong.
    It was the last morning of a trip riddled with problems....it made it into the lengthily email send to guest services after the trip, but come to think of it, I don't think it was specifically discussed over the phone.

  9. #39

    • Done with MC.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,961

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Good point Malina, I don't know why they couldn't issue a conditional pass - like no stairs. Disney, are you listening?

  10. #40

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,496

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Good point Malina, I don't know why they couldn't issue a conditional pass - like no stairs. Disney, are you listening?
    Have you seen a DAS card? There really isn't room because its space is allocated to all sorts of necessary stuff.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

  11. #41

    • #bringevilback
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Have you seen a DAS card? There really isn't room because its space is allocated to all sorts of necessary stuff.
    I think she's talking about a different pass, not a DAS card. Just a simple card that you can show to CMs so you don't have to argue about stairs. It wouldn't need return times or anything, just a simple card to communicate the need to avoid stairs.

    Now ow that I think about it, jungle cruise can be a difficult one to get them to understand you need a return time when they have upstairs open.

  12. #42

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,496

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    I think she's talking about a different pass, not a DAS card. Just a simple card that you can show to CMs so you don't have to argue about stairs. It wouldn't need return times or anything, just a simple card to communicate the need to avoid stairs.

    Now ow that I think about it, jungle cruise can be a difficult one to get them to understand you need a return time when they have upstairs open.
    So you think they need to have a DAS card, and GAC card? The GCA was issued with a big area where the CM would stamp the needed accommodations.

    What people think when they see people flashing these cards is already a problem. I don't think making them bigger or more complicated is desirable.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

  13. #43

    • #bringevilback
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    So you think they need to have a DAS card, and GAC card? The GCA was issued with a big area where the CM would stamp the needed accommodations.

    What people think when they see people flashing these cards is already a problem. I don't think making them bigger or more complicated is desirable.
    My initial response was no, of course we shouldn't go back to the GAC, but when I think about it, I guess I kind of do think it would be helpful. Obviously the major part of GAC that was being abused was the alternate entrance stamp and those needs are now met with the DAS card, however there are some categories who's needs are not covered by the DAS card and the individuals are now tasked with explaining their needs to each CM each time they need an accommodation, and are left to hope they will comply. The two biggest ones are those who cannot do stairs but do not have a mobility aid, and those with visual impairments who need close seating for shows, etc. I don't think either card would be I high demand as there is little to be gained from using them, and it would eliminate the inconsistencies of accommodations being met. So yeah, I guess a simple card, similar to the GAC, would be beneficial for these needs...

  14. #44

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    What CassieRN said is what I meant, yes. I don't need a DAS, but when I go to the park and I have to wonder if I am going to be accommodated at the rides with stairs or I am going to face a debate with the CMs, it makes things very stressful. Plus, it really slows down lines when I have to stand there and do a whole song and dance with the CMs. So I think that if Dinsey handed out a simple card that said "no stairs," with the graphic that used to appear on the GAC, it would be better for everyone. Simple. No more debates. And if Disney wants to take my name and photo I've no issue with that.
    Last edited by Malina; 04-07-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: correcting typos...arrgh cell phone posting!
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  15. #45

    • Done with MC.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,961

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Have you seen a DAS card? There really isn't room because its space is allocated to all sorts of necessary stuff.
    They can put what ever is needed on the card. It can have any format, size or shape needed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question about report card!!
    By mrswindupbird in forum Break Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 01:22 AM
  2. [Question] Question about shuttle service?
    By IdahoPrincess90 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 01:15 PM
  3. [Question] A Question about the Canoes
    By The Disneylander in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 06:22 PM
  4. [Question] A question about Sleeping Beauty's Castle
    By OogieBoogie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 05:07 AM
  5. [Question] Question about July 4 at DLR
    By a-mad in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 10:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •