Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122

    Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Hello. So I will be taking a trip in late May. My mom is not disabled per say (no wheelchair or crutches) but has a condition that makes it extremely difficult for her to stand up/wait/walk for long periods of time. It will be my mom, my dad and me but one person will stay at the hotel at all times to babysit our dog as well as get rest. Say my dad goes with my mom in the morning and gets the pass, will I be able to return with her later in the day and be her guest and go on rides at the same time as her?

  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    285

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Yes. The pass will be written out for your mom plus one guest. The only person who is required to always be there is the person who the pass is for (plus their picture is on the front of it).

  3. #3

    • Mistress of Evil
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    224

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    To be honest, I doubt they will issue a DAS based on this accommodation. The CM will likely suggest a wheelchair or ECV and then that device becomes the DAS.



  4. #4

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,499

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMouse View Post
    Say my dad goes with my mom in the morning and gets the pass, will I be able to return with her later in the day and be her guest and go on rides at the same time as her?
    No. She needs to get the card. It's her card not yours or your dads. Her picture will go on the card so CMs at rides can verify that the card holder is present.

    She can have it made for 3 guests if all of you happen to be in the park at the same time.

    Girimama33 is right you should just get a WC or ECV, and that will likely be suggested instead of a DAS.


    DAS does let you skip waits.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    She hates wheelchairs she's very self conscious and doesn't like the inconvenience so we will get the pass
    Thanks everyone

  6. #6

    • Chief Troublemaker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere, out there
    Posts
    1,606

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMouse View Post
    She hates wheelchairs she's very self conscious and doesn't like the inconvenience so we will get the pass
    Thanks everyone

    the the thing to remember is that she must have needs that cannot be met by the use of a mobility aid. The fact that she is self conscious will not meet that requirement. The question they usually ask is 'what accommodation do you need?' If the answer is that she cannot stand or wait for long periods, she will be told to use a mobility aid.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

  7. #7

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    No. She needs to get the card. It's her card not yours or your dads. Her picture will go on the card so CMs at rides can verify that the card holder is present.

    She can have it made for 3 guests if all of you happen to be in the park at the same time.

    Girimama33 is right you should just get a WC or ECV, and that will likely be suggested instead of a DAS.


    DAS does let you skip waits.
    Swampy, did you mean to write "DAS does not let you skip waits"?
    DAS is not a front of the line pass. You still have to wait approximately the same amount of time to go on rides, just not in the queue.

  8. #8

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,499

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    DAS is not a front of the line pass. You still have to wait approximately the same amount of time to go on rides, just not in the queue.
    That is what I mean. It does let you skip waiting in line.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

  9. #9

    •   
    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    316

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Several quotes from the official FAQ may be helpful here.

    Guest Relations Cast Members will work with you individually to provide assistance. Based on your specific needs, a DAS Card or other accommodations may be provided.
    The goal of the DAS Card is to accommodate Guests who aren't able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability.
    Another member of your travel party may obtain a return time, but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his/her party.
    https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/med...2014-04-01.pdf

    https://disneyland.disney.go.com/gue...-disabilities/

    Please keep in mind that DAS cards are not just freely handed out to anyone who wants one. If they were, most people would want one.......and the results would be a disaster. The best thing for your mom to do is to just go to Guest Relations and honestly discuss her needs there. They'll provide whatever accommodations are appropriate.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    286

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    Several quotes from the official FAQ may be helpful here.







    https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/med...2014-04-01.pdf

    https://disneyland.disney.go.com/gue...-disabilities/

    Please keep in mind that DAS cards are not just freely handed out to anyone who wants one. If they were, most people would want one.......and the results would be a disaster. The best thing for your mom to do is to just go to Guest Relations and honestly discuss her needs there. They'll provide whatever accommodations are appropriate.
    ^This so much. I'm not in Guest Relations but if I were I'd honestly only give out DAS cards for guests on the medium-high end of the Autism spectrum, Tourette syndrome, severe claustrophobia/crowd anxiety, etc. A wheel chair or ECV is a way better solution for most guests. You don't have to deal with waiting in line at Chamber of Commerce/City Hall to get a DAS card, you're not constantly trying to find a kiosk to get a new time, and you're helping keep Fastpass queues clear for guests who can't handle loud and cramped queues. Oh, and wheelchairs/ECVs don't have stipulations like the DAS card. For example, DAS cards have expiration dates and a maximum number of people per party. The DAS card holder also has to ride with their party if the party wants to use the time. Again, I'm not in Guest Relations but I do hope they can find something that works for you while still accommodating other guests with different needs.

  11. #11

    • Certified DL Addict
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    320

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    The DAS card is available for guests that are not able to stand in line due to mobility issues, I can't believe people are so rude as to automatically tell someone to get a wheelchair. My bf sustained injuries from his Army service that make it extremely difficult for him to stand for long period of time and he needs to sit a lot, however he can walk around the park at his leisure and I am not about to push a grown man around in a wheelchair when he can walk as long as the availability to stop is there. We went to the "city hall" of DCA when we arrived, chatted with the CMs about his condition, and were issued a DAS pass.

    The dirty looks from using a DAS pass suck though because it's a bright green pass and everyone knows what they are now... people don't realize some disabilities aren't really visable... including those that were caused by fighting for those same dirty look giver's freedoms.

    However I'm sure they're abused still, and when I'm at the park without my bf (I'm an AP holder) I would never consider trying to get a pass.

  12. #12

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    I don't think anyone's trying to be rude by suggesting the wheelchair/ECV - but that is how Disney generally handles cases like this now, for the most part. The DAS is now reserved for those who have conditions that can't be handled by another means. They used to freely give out GACs for those who couldn't stand or walk for long periods of time, but now they will generally tell you to get a wheelchair or ECV and will not issue a DAS. If there's a reason the person can't get a wheelchair/ECV then they might issue, but that will be their first response, generally.

  13. #13

    • Certified DL Addict
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    320

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    We were there the last week of February (for Dapper Days) and a wheelchair was not mentioned once. Thankfully, because that's not the right way to handle that type of accomodation.

  14. #14

    • Certified DL Addict
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    320

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    And you'll notice most of the rides have seating right in front of them, which was nice because we didn't have to go far to sit while waiting for our time

  15. #15

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Question about Disability Access Service Card

    Quote Originally Posted by the702senior09 View Post
    The DAS card is available for guests that are not able to stand in line due to mobility issues, I can't believe people are so rude as to automatically tell someone to get a wheelchair. My bf sustained injuries from his Army service that make it extremely difficult for him to stand for long period of time and he needs to sit a lot, however he can walk around the park at his leisure and I am not about to push a grown man around in a wheelchair when he can walk as long as the availability to stop is there. We went to the "city hall" of DCA when we arrived, chatted with the CMs about his condition, and were issued a DAS pass.

    The dirty looks from using a DAS pass suck though because it's a bright green pass and everyone knows what they are now... people don't realize some disabilities aren't really visable... including those that were caused by fighting for those same dirty look giver's freedoms.

    However I'm sure they're abused still, and when I'm at the park without my bf (I'm an AP holder) I would never consider trying to get a pass.
    Very good points.
    There are so many different types of disabilities, as you wrote. There are many different valid reasons for needing a DAS (besides the well-discussed and accepted issues of autism).
    There are people who benefit from walking, but are unable to stand for long periods of time (like your bf). They shouldn't be forced to use a wheelchair or ECV, nor should they be forced to either not go on rides or else experience pain from standing long periods of times. As you also said, the parks have many benches and lovely places for people who can and want to walk as much as they are able to take breaks when needed, just not in the lines.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question about report card!!
    By mrswindupbird in forum Break Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 01:22 AM
  2. [Question] Question about shuttle service?
    By IdahoPrincess90 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 01:15 PM
  3. [Question] A Question about the Canoes
    By The Disneylander in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 06:22 PM
  4. [Question] A question about Sleeping Beauty's Castle
    By OogieBoogie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 05:07 AM
  5. [Question] Question about July 4 at DLR
    By a-mad in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 10:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •