Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1

    • My Children's Father
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Island in the Sun
    Posts
    1,497

    Enforcing the Rules

    It has been suggested on MiceChat that Disney helps to foster some people's sense of entitlement by taking a "the customer's always right" approach, even to the point of breaking or bending its own rules for the purpose of increasing guest satisfaction. There have been discussions on "out of the blue" rule enforcement, such as enforcement of the SoCal 2-fer deal.

    I'm starting this thread to foster discussion of Disneyland "rules" that are not typically enforced. Some of you may think that not enforcing some of the rules is a good thing, or that the park's been going to heck in a handbasket since they stopped enforcing the rule.

    Are there rules you would like to see enforced? Or are you happy the way things are?

    Oh, and keeping this out of the litter box may be a challenge, so let's try to keep it civil, OK.

    I'll start off with the "no-outside food" rule. I think they should expand the picnic area and start enforcing this rule. That could reduce overcrowding at the in-park dining tables, in-park custodial expense, and remove the "bad show" of seeing a bag of food from some outside fast-food purveyor.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

  2. #2

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Seal Beach, California, United States
    Posts
    2,943

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    I'll start off with the "no-outside food" rule. I think they should expand the picnic area and start enforcing this rule. That could reduce overcrowding at the in-park dining tables, in-park custodial expense, and remove the "bad show" of seeing a bag of food from some outside fast-food purveyor.
    So, how do you enforce this when the search area is before the picnic/locker area?
    Mike



  3. #3

    • white and nerdy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I wanna bowl with the gangsters...
    Posts
    3,246

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    heh... I just called Disneyland and asked if there was a rule against bringing outside food into the park. They said no, but they appreciate people who are bringing their own meals for their families to use the picnic area. I asked if there was a rule against eating your own food at other restaurant's tables and they said as long as it wasn't a sit-down place it was fine.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

    "Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert





  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sierra Madre, CA
    Posts
    290

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    How about the smoking rule. Please smokers, stay in your designated areas. I wish Cast Members would be more attuned to this in that when they see someone smoking in the middle Main Street, for example, they tell him/her to please extinguish the ciggerette or go to a designated smoking area. Or, better yet, how about they just tell them extinguish them right there and then rather than having them walk to a smoking area because then they'll just take their time to get to the smoking area. Gosh, I HATE smoke!

    I'm also very glad they're enforcing the 2Fer tickets this year.

  5. #5

    • My Children's Father
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Island in the Sun
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by mcow1
    So, how do you enforce this when the search area is before the picnic/locker area?
    Good point. You want people to go through "bag check" before they have access to the picnic area (or else a terrorist could easily plant a bomb in a picnic locker). Maybe they don't need to resort to bag checking for food, however they could have the bag checkers remind people of the rule, and CMs at the gate could point out and prevent "obvious" infractions (such as someone holding a Carl's Junior bag). If they wanted to take a very heavy -handed approach, they could ask people who have begun their "outside" meal to leave, surrender their admission media, whatever.

    Or here's a thought ..... the security bag check CMs could take any sort of "questionable" items and offer to "keep" them for the guest when they return. Food items could be picked up at the picnic area. Just a thought ..... I haven't fleshed it out yet ......
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

  6. #6

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Seal Beach, California, United States
    Posts
    2,943

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    Good point. You want people to go through "bag check" before they have access to the picnic area (or else a terrorist could easily plant a bomb in a picnic locker). Maybe they don't need to resort to bag checking for food, however they could have the bag checkers remind people of the rule, and CMs at the gate could point out and prevent "obvious" infractions (such as someone holding a Carl's Junior bag). If they wanted to take a very heavy -handed approach, they could ask people who have begun their "outside" meal to leave, surrender their admission media, whatever.

    Or here's a thought ..... the security bag check CMs could take any sort of "questionable" items and offer to "keep" them for the guest when they return. Food items could be picked up at the picnic area. Just a thought ..... I haven't fleshed it out yet ......
    Apparently, though, it isn't against the rules.
    Mike



  7. #7

    • Huh?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,808

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    Why should it be enforced? People have the right to save money by preparing cheaper meals...

    They'll need to confiscate every diaper bag if they were going to enforce it!

    Unless they're afraid that the sandwich is going to blow, there's no reason to go to such drastic measures. But who ever heard of a Milk Bomb? They're always Milk Duds.... couldn't blow up a thing!
    -Tim

  8. #8

    • Long live the Fire Lord
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    291

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    The could enforce that fastpass window time. That would be nice later in the day.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

  9. #9

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Why should it be enforced? People have the right to save money by preparing cheaper meals...

    They'll need to confiscate every diaper bag if they were going to enforce it!

    Unless they're afraid that the sandwich is going to blow, there's no reason to go to such drastic measures. But who ever heard of a Milk Bomb? They're always Milk Duds.... couldn't blow up a thing!
    From a business stand point, that is a ridiculous statement. Disney makes a large amount of money from food and merchandise. Someone eating outside food inside of Disneyland is taking up space for paying customers. A lot of people DON'T eat because there's no where TO eat. Also, Disney has many food and beverage sponsors. If Coke execs saw a lot of people drinking Pepsi's at DL, they'd probably pull their sponsorship. It happens all the time at Sport events.

    Personally, I'd like to see a rule enforce regarding tables at restaurants. I think they SHOULD be reserved for paying customers and those who are eating. Especially when it comes to Fantasmic viewing and other spots where people just like to sit down at a table when people with food have nowhere to go.

  10. #10

    • Man O Lantern
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    It's fall, ya'll!
    Posts
    8,484

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    I actually don't like a lot of the food inside Disneyland and either does one of my daughters. With a family of five, we struggle to find a place where we can all eat inside the park and be happy. Keep in mind we're there 5-6 days at a time...three meals per day. Mealtime is not something we look forward to at Disneyland. I don't love their soups, pizza, burgers, fries, hot dogs, chicken, salads, popcorn...it's just not my thing. Heck, I don't even like churros! The only meals I look forward to IN the park are at Blue Bayou.

    So, if I can bring some snacks that I actually DO like, I'll do it and wouldn't want to be stopped. Plus, I don't like Disneyland's coffee, so I like to get my coffee before I enter the park.

    Most of our outside food comes from LaBrea Bakery or Whitewater snacks, so it's not like Disney isn't profiting from our food-buying. It's just a matter of finding something we all like, three times a day for 5-6 days in a row. If we were just there for a few hours here and there...not sure it would be an issue for us.

    I'd love to see them enforce the smoking areas...the last time I was there in December was the worst I'd ever seen it! Not only were the walkways stinky (people walking around smoking nowhere near a smoking area), I was almost burned by a cigarette!

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Menomonie, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    811

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    Don't worry about Disney and outside food, see they already have a sound fiscal strategy. They just allow people in with small amounts of food. Then when concessions sales go down, they can raise the park entrance fee and close down some of everybody's favorite restaurants. Hmmm, seems simple right?

    I'll concede, Food at the Disney Parks is expensive and sometimes not all that good, so let me share with you some of the guidelines I was taught. Note: These are strictly unofficial.

    As a park greeter in Florida, I was told that folks could bring food into the park, as long as it met certain guidelines. First, no aluminum or glass. If you want to bring drinks into the park, it better be plastic. Second, don't be excessive, coolers were not allowed in the park, but a lunch bag would be okay. Smaller is better. Third, Disney really doesn't mind, but don't make it a presentation, don't go around saying, oh yeah, bring as much McDonalds and Burger King in as you want. That will just give people the wrong idea.

    In California, the rules maybe different, especially since there are establishments directly around the park. In Florida, it would take a little effort to get fast food into the park and keep it warm. But if you want to, there really isn't anyone who would stop you.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

    DoppelV

  12. #12

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    12.5 minutes from Disneyland
    Posts
    14,009
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by DLResident
    How about the smoking rule. Please smokers, stay in your designated areas. I wish Cast Members would be more attuned to this in that when they see someone smoking in the middle Main Street, for example, they tell him/her to please extinguish the ciggerette or go to a designated smoking area. Or, better yet, how about they just tell them extinguish them right there and then rather than having them walk to a smoking area because then they'll just take their time to get to the smoking area. Gosh, I HATE smoke!

    I'm also very glad they're enforcing the 2Fer tickets this year.
    And Cast Members...there's nothing like lighting up behind New Orleans Square in full view of the trains. It really adds atmosphere. I mean...it feels like you're REALLY in New Orleans!

  13. #13

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    12.5 minutes from Disneyland
    Posts
    14,009
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Why should it be enforced? People have the right to save money by preparing cheaper meals...

    They'll need to confiscate every diaper bag if they were going to enforce it!

    Unless they're afraid that the sandwich is going to blow, there's no reason to go to such drastic measures. But who ever heard of a Milk Bomb? They're always Milk Duds.... couldn't blow up a thing!
    THE TUNA FISH IS GONNA BLOW!


  14. #14

    • I'm your huckleberry.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    6,176

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    I wish they'd enforce the 4th Amendment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

  15. #15

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,596

    Re: Enforcing the Rules

    Make DCA the smoking area. It will increased attendance there and make DL a much cleaner place.

    It could be called "Disney's Cause-of-Death Adventure."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rules Repeats "Randomness Rules!! Randomness Rules!!":V2 #19
    By SweetPeaRules in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 2006
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 09:16 PM
  2. Man Rules.
    By Duck44 in forum Lost Boys
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 08:58 PM
  3. New Rules on Cursing
    By disneytim in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 09:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •