Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

When it comes to Disneyland's shows like Mickey and the Magical Map, among other shows, are the actor's playing the characters, are they lip singing or actually singing? I can't tell hahaha.

• Minion

Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

For stage shows, they are actually singing. In things like Fantasmic, it's all prerecorded and the actors are lip synching.

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    For stage shows, they are actually singing. In things like Fantasmic, it's all prerecorded and the actors are lip synching.
    Yep. Characters in that wonderful show like Mickey himself and King Louie have to be done that way so that their animatronic heads can be programmed to match the vocals that were recorded.

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Yep. Characters in that wonderful show like Mickey himself and King Louie have to be done that way so that their animatronic heads can be programmed to match the vocals that were recorded.
    Not always. Disney Dance Crew and Minnie's Fly Girls were live performances by the performer.

Generally, the smaller shows are all live vocals. Larger shows like Aladdin may use track for the chorus, but the leads will be live.

• formerly very helpful

Funny. I was just thinking this same question while I was watching Mickey and the Magical Map on Sunday. I figured it would be near impossible for performers to get the lip syncing perfect every show every day, so if they were lip syncing, we'd know about it already. The audience gets too close to the performers for them to successfully pull it off all the time.

In Mickey and the Magical Map, all of the dancers are lip synching, but the two lead mapmakers as well as the princesses (Pocahontas, Mulan, Rapunzel, Tiana) and Flynn are singing live.

• Meh

I always wondered this and then I watched Mickey and the Magical Map a couple weeks back and one of the main female singers messed up the words, quickly caught herself and continued the song. After that I couldn't help thinking, "Dang, they're actually singing! They are all so good!"
    Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

• film975

It is very interesting all the different performance techniques that are utilized in this show to make it all work.

Just find 2 youtube videos of the same show filmed on different days and play them side by side. It should be obvious right away.

• Minion

I've been wondering something since my last trip, and this seems like the perfect thread to ask.

In Soundsational, I know that everything is pre recorded and there is much lip synching going on as with any parade. However, in the Princess and the Frog unit, Tiana's audio has a "muffled" quality to it that would indicate that she has a live microphone. I couldn't tell if she was actually singing or not. So does she really sing live or do they just make the quality of her audio different in order to create the illusion that she is really singing?

A few have used it correctly in their replies, but it's "lip-syncing", not "lip-singing".

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    I've been wondering something since my last trip, and this seems like the perfect thread to ask.

In Soundsational, I know that everything is pre recorded and there is much lip synching going on as with any parade. However, in the Princess and the Frog unit, Tiana's audio has a "muffled" quality to it that would indicate that she has a live microphone. I couldn't tell if she was actually singing or not. So does she really sing live or do they just make the quality of her audio different in order to create the illusion that she is really singing?
    Tiana lip syncs in Soundsational. I don't think that it's intentional that it sounds muffled, maybe just something going wrong on the day?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Tiana lip syncs in Soundsational. I don't think that it's intentional that it sounds muffled, maybe just something going wrong on the day?

I dunno, maybe. I watched it on two separate days and it was the same both times. Just doesn't sound as clear as the rest of the parade audio.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Funny. I was just thinking this same question while I was watching Mickey and the Magical Map on Sunday. I figured it would be near impossible for performers to get the lip syncing perfect every show every day, so if they were lip syncing, we'd know about it already. The audience gets too close to the performers for them to successfully pull it off all the time.
    Whew! Thank you. I feel better. Was bugging the crap out of me.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    Not always. Disney Dance Crew and Minnie's Fly Girls were live performances by the performer.
    Not necessary true. When the secondary actors are out in the audience they are live singing. Just sit down on the ground floor seats for Aladdin and listen to the actors as they move around the chairs. In M&MM the dance actors do not have microphones on them. When the actors are singing solo they are live in M&MM. I'm unsure in Aladdin when the actors are the main stage if they are singing or lipping it.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast