Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Disney being sued for Replacement of GAC with DAS by parents of Autistic children

• Not the Hawkguy

Re: Disney being sued for Replacement of GAC with DAS by parents of Autistic children

I don't see how Disney is in violation of the ADA. The law requires reasonable accommodation, and by all accounts Disney is providing that.

• Minion

Re: Disney being sued for Replacement of GAC with DAS by parents of Autistic children

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    Interesting. From what I've been reading (here and elsewhere), the DAS replacing the GAC is mostly geared to accomodate the needs of Autistic kids and their families, while people with other varying disabilities are the ones that are now no longer likely to be accomodated, with only a suggestion of using a wheelchair offerred for a general solution.

• Not the Hawkguy

Honestly, from reading reports on DAS on here and other places, it seems like a better system, especially for those who need it. Reading the article makes it seem like the plaintiffs are upset at having to wait longer to access a ride, when previously they didn't have to do that. Trying to prove that making the DAS wait more in line with that of the average line wait while not requiring them to physically be in line is not a reasonable accommodation seems like it'd be pretty difficult.

The sense of entitlement of some people just blows me away really

• Senior Minion

I didn't read the article, but it sounds to me like some people just trying to make a quick buck. Sue a company with deep pockets and hope they settle rather then fight the suit.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Special Agent

I had mentioned this being an issue before. If a doctor or other medical professional is making a determination that a persons disbility prevents them from waiting for a ride (whether physically in line or via a DAS), then Disney has the obligation to provide immediate boarding.

This is exactly what happened to the GAC. Originally it was intended to limit abuse by only allowing the level of access that was requested based on disability. It didn't work because once people realized the magic phrase to avoid waiting, it was abused. Disney has admitted they are providing custom accdss for the DAS card so it really is a matter of time before that is abused too.

The complaint was pretty fun to read though.

[QUOTE=MrLiver;1057102196]I had mentioned this being an issue before. If a doctor or other medical professional is making a determination that a persons disbility prevents them from waiting for a ride (whether physically in line or via a DAS), then Disney has the obligation to provide immediate boarding.
    QUOTE]

So are you saying they should get immediate access by Law? If you are that's incorrect. By law you just have to allow equal access to all, ie. if you require a wheelchair there must be wheel chair access. Not preferential treatment to those with a medical condition.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    Interesting. From what I've been reading (here and elsewhere), the DAS replacing the GAC is mostly geared to accomodate the needs of Autistic kids and their families, while people with other varying disabilities are the ones that are now no longer likely to be accomodated, with only a suggestion of using a wheelchair offerred for a general solution.
    I agree. I'm honestly surprised they haven't been hit with a lawsuit about that yet. It seems as though the only ones who ARE being accommodated right now are those with autistic kids.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    So are you saying they should get immediate access by Law? If you are that's incorrect.
    It will be for the courts/jury to decide. Like I said, it is dependent on a medical definition of a disability and the symptoms of Autism. If it can be shown that, having Autism could prevent someone from enjoying a ride with any considerable wait (which is the arguement here) then Disney's policy of enforcing a wait prevents them from enjoying the ride.

I have seen a lot of the arguments and I am the least qualified to decide if a child with Autism being forced to wait is equal to forcing any other child to wait (ie they both don't understand the wait). That said, I do understand and appreciate both sides of the argument here.

As far as immediate boarding being a reasonable accommodation is concerned, the problem is that Disney has offered it in the past, and is admittedly still offering it under certain circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    It will be for the courts/jury to decide. Like I said, it is dependent on a medical definition of a disability and the symptoms of Autism. If it can be shown that, having Autism could prevent someone from enjoying a ride with any considerable wait (which is the arguement here) then Disney's policy of enforcing a wait prevents them from enjoying the ride.

I have seen a lot of the arguments and I am the least qualified to decide if a child with Autism being forced to wait is equal to forcing any other child to wait (ie they both don't understand the wait). That said, I do understand and appreciate both sides of the argument here.

As far as immediate boarding being a reasonable accommodation is concerned, the problem is that Disney has offered it in the past, and is admittedly still offering it under certain circumstances.
    i wouldn't say Disney enforces a wait. Waiting is part if life.

Geez cut Disneyland some slack. They're doing a lot to help everyone. I've seen some videos where parents are like "he gets really mad if he doesn't get to ride it again right away so we are going to need some instant re-ride passes". Give me a break, I don't care who you are, that just isn't fair to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It seems as though the only ones who ARE being accommodated right now are those with autistic kids.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I really don't think these people have a strong case. Bottom line is that their children ARE being offered accommodation. What, these parents can't find something else to do in DISNEYLAND to keep their kids entertained while waiting for the return time?

• Disneyland Dreamer

Entitlement society full of "the world owes me X". Shame... makes you almost lose faith in the human race.

• MaliBOOMer

DAS is very similar to what other parks have been doing for a long time. They haven't been sued for violation of ADA yet.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast