Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

WDW becoming more like DL???

Ive just been perusing the Disney rumor sites and Im coming to the very odd conclusion that, after years of doing their own thing, WDW is becoming more like DL instead of DL trying to become more like them.

Observe:

1. Small World just reopened, with the newly remastered World's Fair soundtrack and facade from DL.

2. Rumor has it that Haunted Mansion is doing a double rehab closure to update the sound system and attraction for HMH later this year and to add the newly installed effects from the DL version of the ride (ie Madam Leota).

3. Another rumor says that they might close down Pirates for rehab (to install a Capt Jack Sparrow figure) and to redesign the unload of the attraction so that the boats now go UP the lift to the load area...like DL! Rumor, but still intersting...

4. Rumor again: The Indiana Jones Adventure MAY replace the Indiana Jones Stunt show...though with a smaller queue then DLs (Finally WDW gets an "inferior" version of a DL ride instead of the reverse Although, Id argue that Space Ranger Spin isnt as good a version of Buzz as Astro Blasters...but thats just cause I love AB and didnt like SRS all that much).

Rumors some of them may be, its interesting how they are so close to the DL versions instead of vise versa. Of course DL always HAS taken better care of their core attractions then WDW did. Last time I was at WDW, Haunted Mansion looked terrible, sounded terrible and I felt like I was riding the 60s version of the attraction where nothing was updated; Small World I could barely hear...Its good that they are finally taking care of this stuff.

What does everyone think?

• It's all nonsense

Where did you hear all this from?

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

The first one from Laughing place, and the Rest from ScreamScape.com

• Banned User

They better not take our Indiana Jones. I would be extremely mad if they took one of the only remaining unique attractions that we have.

• Minion

ORWEN: I don't think there will ever be another Alice in Wonderland dark ride, though. So that's probably one attraction that will always be unique to Disneyland. Also, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is unique to Disneyland. Come to think of it, so are the Columbia Sailing Ship and Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    They better not take our Indiana Jones. I would be extremely mad if they took one of the only remaining unique attractions that we have.
    Indy isn't unique it's been in Tokyo DisneySeas for a while

also if I'm not mistaken Dinosoar is basicaly WDW's Indy clone it's just wishful thinking that Indy would replace the Indy stuntshow but it has never come to pass and when Disney built Dinosoar it was just another nail in the coffin

WDW has been looking at getting HMH for a while but they canceld it last year and did Stitch Escape instead, Tokyo bought into HMH creating Haunted Mansion a Holiday Nightmare in Tokyo

yes the facade is like Disneyland's on the inside of WDW's now and it does have the old soundtrack as well, I'm not sure if WDW had the old soundtrack before or not (werent all the soundtracks changed to the Paris version at one point?)

I'm still not sure about the Pirates rehab, I doubt they'd redo the exit but the new animatronic is something people keep talking about, it'll be interesting to see if it comes to pass

If WDW were becoming more like the DL of 2005, I'd be excited. Unfortunately, WDW is becoming like the DL of the PP/Queen Cyn era in terms of cutbacks, poor maintainance, huge empty areas, crappy merchandise, almost no live entertainment, surly and slovenly CMs etc ... things may be picking up though I'm not overly excited about any of the current additions. Even Soarin, which I love, should NOT have been a carbon copy from DCA but instead a totally new, unique experience. The reviews on the new stunt show have been mixed and the reviews of Cinderellabrations have been mostly very poor. But at least we got midnight closings back at the MK ... thought they were gone to Yesterdayland.

As for things like Mansion Holiday and Indy, those are just rumors at this point. They could happen but ...

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

WDW could really benefit from trying to be more like DL and less like wal-Mart!
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• "I don't like the color"

Just got back from WDW and I agree in that HM looked and sounded TERRIBLE!! I could just make out the Ghost Host voice in the Doombuggies, None of the background voices such as the king and queen in the graveyard could be heard as well as the lighting in the library and the music room was really dark and you could not see much. Country Bear Jamboree sounded just as bad!
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Yeah, the MK's Mansion has been in bad shape for a few years. But WDW officials don't really care if the effects are working or if there's trash strewn around. They believe they have a clientele that will accept that, and I'm hardpressed to disagree (sadly). May not fly out in Anaheim with all the vocal locals, but O-Town is an entirely different animal.

Splash Mountain has really been the worst of the E-Tix in terms of interior show quality, not to mention filthy, smelly, disgusting logs that should be disinfected every night.

But many attractions from CoP to Pirates to Stitch have effects that need repair. It just doesn't seem to be much of a concern to Phil Holmes, Al Weiss, Lee Cockerell and Co.

Quote Originally Posted by jmuboy
    WDW could really benefit from trying to be more like DL and less like wal-Mart!
    WDW management wouldn't agree. Besides, everyone loves the Bentonville :devil: right?

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Yeah, the MK's Mansion has been in bad shape for a few years. But WDW officials don't really care if the effects are working or if there's trash strewn around. They believe they have a clientele that will accept that, and I'm hardpressed to disagree (sadly). May not fly out in Anaheim with all the vocal locals, but O-Town is an entirely different animal.

Splash Mountain has really been the worst of the E-Tix in terms of interior show quality, not to mention filthy, smelly, disgusting logs that should be disinfected every night.

But many attractions from CoP to Pirates to Stitch have effects that need repair. It just doesn't seem to be much of a concern to Phil Holmes, Al Weiss, Lee Cockerell and Co.
    what're you talking about locals, not only do I dissagree with that statement but also I think we need to remeber that Disneyland put up with low maintenence for YEARS (hence why mainstreet had to go through a process of removing dry rot and why the Tiki Room had termite damage along with several other locations)

if I'm nto mistaken WDW didn't even start to get that bad until Pressler became head of all parks and not just Disneyland, also isn't Disneyland's vice president the one in charge of alot of the repairs now? and isn't he origionaly from WDW

I will agree that from what I have seen and heard outta WDW that WDW is going through it's own rough time, seems the managements attitude there is to just build more new rides who needs to fix the old ones? you can't advertise repairs

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Actually, unless memory escapes me, Matt Ouimet wasnt from WDW, we was from DLP, in charge of....something

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Matt Ouimet (current President of DL) is from the DISNEY Cruise Line.

Jay Rasulo, current head of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, used to run DL Paris Resort.

Al Weiss, President of WDW, is the person responsible for the serious decline of quality seen throughout the resort. WDW really needs someone to chanmpion its cause and keep the pressure on. Maybe Al Lutz can move to Florida! Disneyland locals had some high profile "fights" with the mgmt out at DL over the last 5 - 8 years. Every time DL Mgmt got egg on their face. WDW is much more precious to the Walt Disney Co. To have WDW take such a hit and receive major bad press will not be tolerated. That's why I am all for making sure the Sentinel and other major news papers that report on Disney are kept aware of how poorly run WDW is right now.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    what're you talking about locals, not only do I dissagree with that statement but also I think we need to remeber that Disneyland put up with low maintenence for YEARS (hence why mainstreet had to go through a process of removing dry rot and why the Tiki Room had termite damage along with several other locations)

if I'm nto mistaken WDW didn't even start to get that bad until Pressler became head of all parks and not just Disneyland, also isn't Disneyland's vice president the one in charge of alot of the repairs now? and isn't he origionaly from WDW

I will agree that from what I have seen and heard outta WDW that WDW is going through it's own rough time, seems the managements attitude there is to just build more new rides who needs to fix the old ones? you can't advertise repairs

DL did go through a rough period, but it got plenty of press attention during it. And the locals didn't put up with it quietly. Do the words 'Light Magic' ring a bell? And how about all the stories in the mainstream press about many aspects of DL, that the TDA certainly didn't want out there.

And you're right, Greg Emmer is from WDW, and he was there when the upkeep took a huge drop. That's why I'm not ready to announce that he and Matt Oumiet (who did do an amazing job with the cruise line) are the second-coming of Walt and Roy or even Michael and Frank.

A lot of what has happened at DL would have had to have been done. Buildings would have collapsed otherwise ...

But the MK is really showing some major rough spots ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast