Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sad 20th Century Music Company now a Pin store

Hi guys,

not sure if this has been poster before, anyone noticed this week that the 20th Century Music Company store was turned into a pin retail shop in Main Street?

Thoughts?

• I'm a fiddle player......

Re: 20th Century Music Company now a Pin store

Kinda sad but with itunes, spotify, and youtube not surprising. Just like a buisness in real life, if its not making money its going to close. And with what they charge for CDS, $22 for one CD is crazy.

It's sad, yes, but napamaninsocal does bring up a point. With the over saturation of digital media starting to override physical media such as CD's, what can Disney do with their music store?

Honestly, I'm fine with the 20th Century Music Company becoming a pin store. As long as the interior is themed to be a music store, it'll be passable I guess, but I have no qualms one way or the other. The only thing I can think of for the 20th Century Music Store to do is to sell reproduction vinyl records/piano rolls. Think about it. What's something that's very hip right now? Vintage items. Vinyl records seems to be a very popular vintage item on the market, with a lot of people buys up more vinyls to add to their collection. From hipsters to old time collectors to people who just think it's neat to own such a thing (Like me!)

Let's take a look at a record I've been wanting to get my hands on...Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. Right now there is ONE original record for sale with the price set up for $62.34. The price is not including the shipping, which would be a bit horrifying when you notice the seller is stationed in Germany. I really want to own that record in my collection, along with a few more Disneyland Record labels. The only problem is that they are too rare and too expensive for me to dip my hands into my pockets for. Now if the 20th Century Music Company sold reproduction vinyl records at a slightly lower price (Maybe around the $40 to $50 range) then I'll put my hand in my pocket to fish out some cash. It's a win win scenario. I get the vinyl record I want. Collectors get to add another record to their collection. Disneyland fans get to add another merchandise piece to their memorabilia. And Disney still gets money in return.

While I'm okay with the 20th Century Music Company being a pin store, I believe they should sell reproduction vinyl records if they want to still sell music related merchandise upon what they already have from CDs to iTunes/MyDisneyMusic cards and everything inbetween.

I mean look at her! Classic vintage, sleek jet black color with distinctive Disneyland Records label, plays the music from one of the most beloved attractions...how could anyone say no to such a thing?

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Yet one more thing that makes me happy I don't have an AP anymore.

Disney - you keep on doing bone-headed moves to convince me more and more to not get another one.

Yes. I want them to keep it because I'm completely into the CD scene... What am I going to put in my portable CD player now, Disney!!!!???
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Yet one more thing that makes me happy I don't have an AP anymore.

Disney - you keep on doing bone-headed moves to convince me more and more to not get another one.
    Same here. I am concerned for the Main Street Cinema.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Chief Troublemaker

Kinda OTT, but is anyone even manufacturing vinyl records anymore?

If so, I'd love replicas of the movie/picture book albums Disney used to release. Does anyone remember those? I had tons & gave them away to various younger relatives when I 'outgrew' them.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Kinda OTT, but is anyone even manufacturing vinyl records anymore?
    While not on the scale that they used to be, vinyl record companies haven't completely gone under. Online there are some home custom vinyl record companies that take one's selection of music and transfers them onto a custom vinyl record. While they are a tad bit pricey, they're done with a labor of love and are practically tour only source to create reproduction versions of discontinued vinyl records (As long as you have the appropriate music to transfer as well as scans of the album and sticker art if you so desired to have them on.)

Outside of these small operations of custom vinyl records, they aren't completely gone from public view either. While the record industry took a MAJOR blow during the 90's and early 2000's due to the advent of CD's, vinyl has been having a comeback as of late.

Vinyl revival - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Gramophone record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The retroness of vinyl records has made it a very popular product, especially amongst people who may not have grown up during the time period when vinyl records were pretty much one of the main ways to listen to music. Vinyl record sales have begun to soar as people are starting to once again add more records to their collections either through mom and pop record stores or through second hand deals such as Ebay, Goodwill, garage sales, etc. Some modern artists have recognized this big trend and have had their music released on vinyl records alongside the normal band of CD's and digital media.

If no one minds if I go off on a tangent, a recent example that I absolutely love is this trend of vinyl records not being completely dead yet. A little backstory; Bioshock is a first person shooter created back in 2007. The game takes place in an underwater city that was a former utopia, but soon turned into a dystopia. The city was built back in the 1930's and is heavily influenced by 1930's society both in its art deco architecture, its musical tastes, and social mindsets. The game was herald by many, receiving nearly universal acclaim in many aspects from its gameplay to story, but one of the main driving points behind many reviewers was how immersive the world was in its destroyed art deco style, exploring the city while listening to theme appropriate music over radios and intercoms to set the tone. In 2010, to celebrate the success of Bioshock, 2K Games, the company behind the series, released a special edition of the sequel, Bioshock 2. With the special edition came I am Rapture, and Rapture is Me. It's a vinyl record version of Bioshock's soundtrack, which was so thematically appropriate since the city in game was based around 30's society. Many people bought the special edition just to own the vinyl record, and many copies can still be found online, both used and unopened. Just goes to show that even in today's day and age, vinyl records prove to be extremely popular even though it's been outdated and almost impractical compared to the newer technology of CD's and mp3.

So in all technicality, vinyl records are still being manufactured, but you'll have to dig around for the new releases since many modern stores don't really stock on vinyl. I'm kind of surprised Disney hasn't gotten in on the resurgence of vinyl records, especially given their large library of vinyl titles under the Disneyland Records label. Also, some people are paying top dollar for some records. If Disney can create reproductions of the most sought after Disneyland Records and sell them at half the price of an original copy, I'm sure they'd be able to sell them somewhere in the park. Look at Disneyana. They're selling prints of attraction posters as well as art and sculptures based on Disney icons at pricey prices yet people still give in and buy them, so I don't see why the same can't be applied to vinyl records; especially given the popularity trend of records.

I even see a missed opportunity with the release of Saving Mr. Banks that the Disney Company could have fished out some cash from their wallets to create reproductions of this vinyl record sold under the Vista logo.

(Got it at a local library for a great steal of $1.00 no tax. Was super excited when I saw that it was being sold.)

TL;DR: Yeah, vinyl records are still being produced, but not in the numbers they used to be.

• Disney Renaissance FTW!!

As if Disney didn't have enough pin stores to begin with! I loved this store! I'm a musician, and I always liked to flip through the music books.

A music shop is the only thing that the resort doesn't have. You have plenty of stores that sell pins. People love to have the CDs. Heck, even selling the old vinyls would've been amazing.

I really hope they change the store back. The joy of pins is trading and not buying, anyway.

Well, as a pin collector, I'm kind of happy that we have another pin store now, more selection hopefully to choose from and browse through. While the music is no longer available in store, I'd like to point out that they did make the latest official Disneyland/Walt Disney World Album available on iTunes and Amazon so you can download the individual tracks that you want without having to purchase the entire CD. I know its not the same as buying a CD or record but there is still a way to obtain the music.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    Well, as a pin collector, I'm kind of happy that we have another pin store now, more selection hopefully to choose from and browse through. While the music is no longer available in store, I'd like to point out that they did make the latest official Disneyland/Walt Disney World Album available on iTunes and Amazon so you can download the individual tracks that you want without having to purchase the entire CD. I know its not the same as buying a CD or record but there is still a way to obtain the music.
    Do you really think this store is going to have any pins significantly different from the 100 other places in the DLR that sells them?

Do you really think this store is going to have any pins significantly different from the 100 other places in the DLR that sells them?
    They might, I've seen certain pins at some stores that I haven't seen at others. Just speculation though, I'll be at the parks tomorrow so I'll have a look.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Special Agent

How is this Disney's fault? If no one was buying the CDs, why keep it a music store? To preserve it as a museum? What's the point in that. They might as well convert it back to a tobacco shop full of more things people wouldn't buy.

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    Interesting that you should bring that up. For me at least, while I know there are more convenient ways to purchase music through iTunes and have them downloaded directly onto your PC or iPod or whatever, I still buy vinyl. For example, the record pictured above of the Mary Poppins soundtrack on vinyl I purchased? I already own the digital copy and listen to it often on my own iPod. Yet I still bought the record and listen to it on my record player every so often. Even though it's pretty inconvenient to have to move the needle, flip the record, mind the popping sounds every so often, etc., I still love it. I think it's because of the novelty of it all really. It's something unique that cannot compare to just pressing play on iTunes or on a CD player. Like I don't buy records to necessarily listen to them as an alternative to listening to digital copies, but rather a fun way to listen to my music.

A little analogy time (again)...my cousin recently went on a spending spree getting himself a functional SNES along with game cartridges even though he owns a few of the games which he bought on the Wii's digital online store. Why? He told me that while he already purchased the games on the Wii's store, the novelty of playing actual SNES games on an actual SNES console with an SNES controller is something that cannot be unmatched. I suppose the same thing is the same for me and possibly others. While one can download the tracks we want to listen to on iTunes and Amazon and the like, buying a vinyl record (Or even a CD if you're into that type of thing) is a bit special in of itself.

Although I must admit, the ability to download and listen to some rare tracks online via Youtube and torrents that haven't been officially released to the public is just ruddy fantastic. I could listen to Buena Vista Street's unreleased background area music for a LONG time.

EDIT: Typing all these out is making me realize how much I love vinyl records

• Chief Troublemaker

Thanks for the education, Bongo. Very informative. Maybe I should drag those old LPs out of storage & have a look at them!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast