• Wannabe Mousketeer

Captain America at Innoventions, and follow up survey

This past Monday, I shook hands with someone I have admired for years: Captain America. When he heard of the display devoted to him at Innoventions, he decided that he had to come to Disneyland to see it for himself. He was suitably impressed.

I was stopped on my way out of Innoventions by one of those survey takers. For some reason, survey takers love me at Disneyland, and I am usually stopped a few times during my visits to the happiest place on Earth.

Among the survey questions, was some knowledge about Captain America, specifically which films he has appeared in. I managed to hit every one on her checklist, including the 1940s serials, and the two 1970s made for television movies. She said some get one or the other, but I was the first one she asked that got both. When I got home, I realize I did not name the 1990/1992 awfulness Captain America movie that ended up going direct to video. Anyway she said that some participants would be contacted for a follow up survey. I got that survey a couple days ago.

It was kind of interesting what they asked, and often given me boxes to expand the multiple choice answers with the instructions of "be as detailed as possible". They listed a number of Star Wars characters that I would like to see at the park (I think at Innoventions in particular) and a list of superheroes I'd like to see. Michael Allen, I was sure to check the box for Hawkeye on your behalf. In the list were both Superman an Batman, I don't know if this is a hint they are thinking of another accquisition that may result in a Superhero monopoly, but I suspect they were put in there to gauge the interest in the competition.

They also gave me a box to list Marvel characters I would like to see at Disneyland. So I put my first choice, Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers). My first choice? Squirrel Girl! Then they gave me one of those "be as detailed as possible" to expand on my reasons for wanting to see Squirrel Girl.

But come on if ANY marvel Character would fit in at Disneyland, it would be Squirrel Girl! Just think how much fun it would be to meet her at the park!
    The Thousandth Happy Haunt Mike Howard has a plan to become a permanent fixture of a popular Disneyland Attraction, The Haunted Mansion. A short story by L. Christopher Bird (ZenMondo).

flynnOS.org "A digital frontier to reshape the human condition."

JediPath.org Real-life applications of the Jedi Philosophy, without the mysticism.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Captain America at Innoventions, and follow up survey

A Squirrel Girl meet-and-greet would be hilarious. I'd be all in for that - get on it, Disneyland!

Unfortunately most characters I like are X-Men based so unlikely, as Universal as the theme park rights I am pretty sure, and the films are not released under Disney.

Thanks for this report about the survey!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    A Squirrel Girl meet-and-greet would be hilarious. I'd be all in for that - get on it, Disneyland!

Unfortunately most characters I like are X-Men based so unlikely, as Universal as the theme park rights I am pretty sure, and the films are not released under Disney.

Universal only has theme park rights in Florida, and even then I don't think they can bring in new properties. Disney has the rights to all of the characters for use at the DLR, but the prevailing theory is that we won't see any X-Men/Spider-Man/Fantastic Four because Disney doesn't have the movie rights for those (although they have TV and merchandising rights for most).

Now, obviously I'd love for Hawkeye to show up (and get his own movie), but Carol Danvers seems like such a perfect character to add that I'd be ok with her. And obviously a Groot and Rocket animatronic meet and greet would get over like gangbusters.

• Wannabe Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post

It is my understanding that the Marvel theme park license to Universal only applies to the Florida parks. I could be operating on a faulty premise for sure.

One thing to remember is that the studio rights for films, do not exclude Disney from marketing or co-marketing characters in Fox or Sony films. While at the park, I spotted a Spider-Man hat with Mickey Ears, and the other day at the local Disney Store in Modesto, they moved over the Captain America stuff to a smaller display, and in it's place a Spider-Man display with a small cardboard Amazing Spider-Man 2 logo thing.

But that being said, I did not see any of the X-Characters being marketed now that I think about it.
    The Thousandth Happy Haunt Mike Howard has a plan to become a permanent fixture of a popular Disneyland Attraction, The Haunted Mansion. A short story by L. Christopher Bird (ZenMondo).

JediPath.org Real-life applications of the Jedi Philosophy, without the mysticism.

• Wannabe Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Now, obviously I'd love for Hawkeye to show up (and get his own movie), but Carol Danvers seems like such a perfect character to add that I'd be ok with her. And obviously a Groot and Rocket animatronic meet and greet would get over like gangbusters.
    Man... I was so excited to get the survey, I did it on my phone in bed before getting up, usually my phone is charging in another room but that night I fell asleep with it on my nightstand. If I had been thinking, I would have taken screen shots of the survey. Even with the movie coming out, I don't recall any mention of the Guardians of the Galaxy characters, or any of the Marvel "Cosmic" themed characters. That is not to say that they did not ask, but if they did, it did not stick in my head. But my brain is entirely unreliable, so that is nothing to go on.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Groot in the style of the Optimus Prime over at Universal would be very cool. I'd like a lot for Prince Namor to be a meet-and-greet character if any could be chosen, but not enough folks familiar with him doubtless. Carol Danvers also a good option, or Doctor Strange (namechecked in Winter Soldier), or add Sif to the Thor area....
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

I got this survey too! I was very confused as to why the live action Alice in Wonderland and Pirates of the Caribbean were included in the list of possible meet and greets.
    The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMondo View Post
    For some reason, survey takers love me at Disneyland,
    When I was going two years ago I got stopped for surveys when exiting several times (even for a food survey the one day I decided to eat at Tomorrowland Terrace -- and they got my order wrong!), but so far this year nothing.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMondo View Post
    This past Monday, I shook hands with someone I have admired for years: Captain America.
    Is your real name Phil Coulson?

• Wannabe Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Is your real name Phil Coulson?
    I can neither confirm or deny my real name nor reveal my S.H.E.I.L.D. credentials if any.

But just between you and me, no, no it is not.

• Heavy Breather

Coulson should be meet able at Innoventions. Haha

Hmm...this past week I though it was mostly utilization studies but I guess Guest Research is also sending out some surveys.

A little off-topic, but I definitely want Hawkeye to make a reference to the Hawkeye Initiative in Age of Ultron. Not as ridiculous as Robot Chicken's reference but something along the lines of "Wow, this outfit is a little demeaning." A decent one-liner would placate me. I don't need him making an awkward pose in an outrageous pink/purple outfit. (That's for the deleted scenes/bonus material/bloopers.)

I remember asking him, "Does being at Disneyland make up for the fact you missed its opening in the fifties?" He gave me the story about how he heard that Disney put up an exhibit in his name and he had to check it out... Well played, Cap. Well played...

Given the Marvel meet and greets that seem to be taking over Innoventions, I would not be surprised if it becomes some sort of Avengers or SHIELD (?) base. Though I feel like Disney is currently trying to avoid Spider-Man and the X-Men because if they had them alongside the MCU meet and greets, average guests who aren't aware of the legal situation would think they're part of the MCU.