Imagineer chosen for Star Wars projects at Disneyland

Scott Trowbridge will take on the role of portfolio leader at the Disneyland Resort. He will be brought to a new project studio dedicated to the Star Wars franchise.

Walt Disney Imagineering move Scott Trowbridge to a new dedicated Star Wars Studio at WDI

• Artistic integrity

Re: Imagineer chosen for Star Wars projects at Disneyland

60+ years of operations at WDI .. and all of a sudden .. they need a "studio" for one of their properties?

Weird.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    60+ years of operations at WDI .. and all of a sudden .. they need a "studio" for one of their properties?

Weird.
    Isn't studio just a synonym for building or office, in this case?

• Senior Minion

Yeah, pretty sure they just mean that he and a group of other WDI designers and engineers will have their own special design studio, aka office, fully dedicated to Star Wars concept development. I don't exactly think this is anything that's major news. I don't think having a Star Wars studio is something that is really unusual. From what I know, WDI typically groups various people into project teams to work on one project. This is pretty much just a confirmation that Star Wars projects are coming which we all basically already knew. They big questions won't be answered until they show some pretty complete concepts for how they intend to use it.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• I'm not really here

"Studio" is probably a logical entity within WDI. A team of people, possibly even a "section" of the building. It isn't a whole new physical studio.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    "Studio" is probably a logical entity within WDI. A team of people, possibly even a "section" of the building. It isn't a whole new physical studio.
    Right. It's just the term used for the portfolio. There won't be any specific facilities created as they will just function like the WDW studio, Disneyland Resort studio, Tokyo Disney studio, etc.

I believe they have also changed the nomenclature for the various departments within WDI to be identified as studios too. So instead of the Architecture Department, it will now be called the Architecture Studio.

I just have to wonder if this move points toward further development on Star Wars projects since Star Tours: The Adventures Continue was just recently completed. I know that the Star Wars Land project slated for Disney's Hollywood Studios has come up several times after the Lucas purchase but I'm wondering if there is small scale project slated for Disneyland or one of the overseas parks (I highly doubt that they will completely overlay Tomorrowland to Star Wars but I do believe that they will do some small scale project to accompany Star Tours).
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Prepare for Tomorrowland to turn into Star Wars land.

;-)

• Former Churro Jockey

Obviously this was coming. I'm surprised that it didn't happen 10 min after Bob signed the check to buy the Star Wars franchise. You don't spend the billions of dollars on something that Disney did and not make movies, merchandise, TV shows, rides, books, restaurants, and anything else they can think of to to maximize the return on investment. As long as it's either part of a 3rd park, or a new DCA land, or only a part of Tomorrowland and not the whole thing, then I'm okay.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Obviously this was coming. I'm surprised that it didn't happen 10 min after Bob signed the check to buy the Star Wars franchise. You don't spend the billions of dollars on something that Disney did and not make movies, merchandise, TV shows, rides, books, restaurants, and anything else they can think of to to maximize the return on investment. As long as it's either part of a 3rd park, or a new DCA land, or only a part of Tomorrowland and not the whole thing, then I'm okay.
    Or a part of WDW or one of the overseas parks. The fact that there is a Star Wars Studio that is a part of Imagineering doesn't mean Star Wars is necessarily coming to the DLR. In fact, I'd almost bet on Marvel coming here (in a larger capacity than meet and greets) first, simply because it is the only Disney Parks complex domestically where Marvel can be used.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Or a part of WDW or one of the overseas parks. The fact that there is a Star Wars Studio that is a part of Imagineering doesn't mean Star Wars is necessarily coming to the DLR. In fact, I'd almost bet on Marvel coming here (in a larger capacity than meet and greets) first, simply because it is the only Disney Parks complex domestically where Marvel can be used.
    I was curious about the wording of the article as well - it scanned as two separate events, him being put in charge of a SW-specific Imagineering group AND him being named DL Resort "Portfolio Leader".

In any case, having credentials that include IOA is a plus in my book regardless. Maybe they can take the SW property and do something worthwhile out of it that won't require intimate franchise knowledge.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Indiana Scott

Maybe it just means they gave some guy a small, one room apartment.

•   
    • Banned User

Wait, Walt's back?