Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Line cutting - Why does it seem worse these days ?

I know line cutting has happened since the dawn of time in theme parks but it seems every trip report I have read recently has raised it as a complaint. I don't want to get into what is acceptable or not-acceptable for line skipping(for example a parent with kid going to the toilet) but I would be interested in hearing the reasons why people think it has got worse or not?.

Has it really got worse or was it always like this and people are just noticing it more?
    Has it got worse since fast pass was changed?
    Has it got worse since the GAC was replaced with the DAS?
    Has it got worse just because the parks are more crowded?
    Its a reflection on the way society has changed as a whole with people always thinking about "ME"?

I wouldn't be surprised that those who were using the GAC wrongly to skip lines (rather than legitimate users) now are seeking other ways to skip the lines. If they were happy to abuse a service that was there for the disabled then I don't see them having any issue with cutting lines.

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: Line cutting - Why does it seem worse these days ?

It has gotten worse. I think it's a combination of everything you've mentioned!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• The doctor is in

I think it is more a reflection of our society. People these days feel entitled to get everything they want and feel like they deserve it. The concept of "get in line and wait your turn" is quickly dying.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Certified in everything

There have been a ton of line-cutting threads here recently. In all honesty I haven't seen this as a huge problem when I have visited the parks recently. Maybe once or twice per trip I have had someone ask to move past me in line to meet someone, but that is about the extent of the "line-cutting" I haver personally witnessed. When people do ask to move past, it is usual only one or two people, never a large group. I generally don't ascribe any bad faith motivations to those people, but even were I to say that maybe 25% of these folks were trying to cut the line in bad faith, does that really make it that huge of a problem? I certainly have never seen anyone just jump from an area outside of a line to a space inside of a line.

Anyway, that is just my personal experience. So I have a question for you all. Am I operating with my eyes closed? Am I being too naive? What are some of your experiences of line-cutters who were clearly, without having to make any bad faith assumptions, circumventing the lines?
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

•   
    • Minion

^^ I have experienced the same thing. Maybe we are just lucky.

• Minion

It's the ME ME ME society we live in today.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by disdad View Post

Has it really got worse or was it always like this and people are just noticing it more?
    It's worse.

Has it got worse since fast pass was changed?
    Maybe a little.....but it really started when fast pass was introduced. You can't sanction line jumping officially on one hand and still maintain any kind of moral authority or policy of no line jumping on the other.

Has it got worse since the GAC was replaced with the DAS?
    I am sure that may have at least a little to do with it.

Has it got worse just because the parks are more crowded?
    This, moreso than any other reason I think.

Its a reflection on the way society has changed as a whole with people always thinking about "ME"?
    Maybe, we are a 4g society. Some of us have the attention span of a housefly
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    It's the ME ME ME society we live in today.
    Agreed.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

My last couple visits, I actually had fewer people pushing past. There were a couple significant, one person in line, eight joining him... but not as often and once saw a cast member turn someone who was trying to jump the line back.

What I did notice was more guests (even adults) running through the crowd... seems dangerous to me...

I think part of the problem is the lack of any kind of response to bad behavior... they know they can get away with it so the actions that used to discourage selfishness are being held back with some idea that every one is happier... in fact the only people who are happier are the ones taking advantage (well, maybe those who should be dealing with it but are not have an easier time, for while (like totally lax parents, their day comes around when they realize they have created a monster and the behavior so entrenched it can't be managed easily anymore).
    Like flash pictures on dark rides... people will do it when they see others get away with it

we actually say a guy getting out of the boat on small world and walking along on the rim, jumped in and out of the boat a couple times... I expected so see some security action... nothing....

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I think it is more a reflection of our society. People these days feel entitled to get everything they want and feel like they deserve it. The concept of "get in line and wait your turn" is quickly dying.
    This!

& think about how much more busier the parks are now compared to back then. You get more types of people, including line jumpers now. I see it occasionally like once or twice each line but still not enough to make me mad because it's one person usually. Only if it's a huge group I'll say something for sure! How is 1 person going to be in line for 8 people? no no no

I rarely see line cutting. Actually I think I've never seen it at all at DL. Maybe its because I don't get bothered by a mom or child making their way through the line to meet up with their party. I don't consider that cutting imo.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    ^^ I have experienced the same thing. Maybe we are just lucky.
    Make that 3 of us. Most of the alleged problems at the DLR mentioned here I really don't see or they don't bother me. Wait times, crowds, strollers, cutters, outside food, rudeness...I either don't see it or it doesn't bug me or my family.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Master Gracey's Music Man

I haven't really encountered the one or two people holding a space for 8 others but the times that I have I exercise zero tolerance.
    Without stepping past the boundaries of decency (ie: profane language and potential physical contact), I will not let them by me and if they still try I remind them that it's eight of them versus myself and everyone behind me that they cut in front of. lol
    Other than that It's been at most just a mother with a kid who went to the restroom.
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I haven't seen too many people cutting an if so they're catching up to their group. What's wrong with saying, "you guys go hop in line, I gotta go to the bathroom." I'd rather have the big group wait in line than crowd bathrooms and walkways. I think its frustrating when a large group catches up to one person or people pretend their group is ahead and really nobody is in their group but I rarely see that. But I'm guilty of the, " oh the wait is 60 minutes. You guys hop in line, I'll get the popcorn!"

i think its completely due to overcrowding, if more people in the park the number of people who do it is obviously higher. I think its the same % of people every day but if its 25 % more crowded on average the two numbers follow each other. Secondly i think the only reason people feel its okay is because it happens to them, i have rarely had people pass me in line so therefore i do not do it my self. Just because your a victim does not mean you can become a criminal.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast