Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: CommuniTOUR AS IT HAPPENS + Gumball Rally 2014 (4/27 - 5/4)

Kermit's big! Cool pix.

Yeah, I loved this trip report!

Okay... so it's nearly three weeks later, and I'm FINALLY posting the Gumball Rally portion of this trip report. Sorry! But at least now I have some fun pictures of the Rally to share!

(This whole week-long trip was amazing. And if you haven't been to a Gumball Rally before, you're missing out. Seriously. You should try to make it! They're so much fun.)

Name:  14238981131_e843d22654.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  114.6 KB

Our Gumball portion of the trip started out with the pasta party the night before. It's always fun to get a chance to see the trophy before everyone else (and when we're awake, instead of yawning into our coffee the morning of the Rally). It's also a great opportunity to meet and bond with other Rally teams, and catch up with old friends from last year. It was also a chance to pre-register for the Rally, which meant we didn't have to get up quite so early the next day.

This year, Team It Doesn't Matterhorn had the pleasure of dining with the Yodeling Matterhorn Team With The Really Cool Award-Winning Name That I Can Never Remember -- But There Are Sharks In It Too. Lisa and Kurt were really cool to get to know, and we decided that we were all members of the Matterhorn Mafia, along with 4-6 other Matterhorn-themed teams.

SIDE NOTE: NEXT YEAR, ALL THE TEAMS COMPRISING 2015'S MATTERHORN MAFIA NEEDS TO MEET UP FOR A PICTURE AT SOME POINT.

Name:  14055702337_5a955db645.jpg
Size:  101.7 KB
    Mamabot with a needle felted gumball machine I made her.

Anyway, most everyone decided to call it an early night after the dinner in order to get sleep before the Rally.

Not us. We decided to go in to the park and watch Fantasmic! Great choice. It was so much fun.

The morning of the Rally started early at the ESPN Zone. We ended up seated right next to the trophy (another added bonus of attending the pasta party this year - we got reserved tables at breakfast!) and so had another picture or two with it.

Name:  14242288115_c999546d3c.jpg
Size:  68.8 KB

There was more socializing and meeting up with friends from prior years who couldn't make it to the pasta party. We also managed to meet other Matterhorn Mafia teams (though we didn't remember to pull out the camera). But chiefly, Team It Doesn't Matterhorn used this as an opportunity to get the party started! It was so much fun during the course of the Rally to find other teams who we'd run into at breakfast... and we knew who those teams were, because they were wearing Mardi Gras beads that we'd brought for that purpose!

Name:  14262459133_d91eb2499e.jpg
Size:  113.1 KB

But then Dusty released the teams to head to the park, and the race was on...
    proud member of Rally team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Team Spirit award

Okay, so into the park we went. Since the Rally point(s?) for the Monorail this year was a round-trip thing, we decided to skip it as an entry method, and walked straight to Space Mountain for a fast pass. After that, we did something we've never done...

Team It Doesn't Matterhorn FINALLY rode the Matterhorn!

Name:  14055634078_a6f3555767.jpg
Size:  120.0 KB

(Yes, we ride it all the time. But this is the first Gumball Rally that we have done as a team where we've ridden it. The first year, we just didn't get there and told Dusty that "it doesn't Matterhorn". The second year it was down for refurb. So this year, it was the first thing we rode.)

After getting off of our mountain, we hit a few rides in Fantasyland while waiting for our Space fast passes to come up. We waited in the eternally long line for the Storybook Boats, but were rewarded with cute ducklings as something to watch while an extra boat was loaded onto the river.

Name:  14242287355_0965034e86.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  149.1 KB

After the Storybook Boats, we rode the teacups, where we found Two Mice Crew! Always fun to see Mike and Nancy.

Name:  14262458413_def6ec8c49.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  14238979401_2f38810bf9.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  106.6 KB
    The teacup matches the shirts, naturally! And can you spot Two Mice Crew?

Then other rides happened (including Space and Star Tours fp) while we tried to get attractions done without straying too far from the hub where the Big Noon Photo would be happening. We got to the hub when the tickets were being handed out, then took a quick walk over to the shooting gallery to get that point. Then back to the hub for more socializing and the photo!

Name:  14055633128_29fa8fef13.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  100.0 KB
    OMG! It's our princesses!

Name:  14262457703_91e0c5c755.jpg
Size:  101.4 KB
    Mister fan, how we love thee.

It was truly amazing how quickly the photo was taken and the teams dispersed afterwards. I just wish there had been a way to get the camera up higher -- even with our blinding shirts, there were too many people there for us to be seen in the photo.

After the photo, we picked up another fast pass (Big Thunder this time) and then headed to the Hungry Bear for lunch. We'd heard Rob tell about his sit-down lunches during Gumball Rally, and decided that due to foot & knee injuries in our team we should copy his example. And what better place to do that than Hungry Bear, where you can wave at the train, the Twain, the canoes, and the Columbia while you dine?

Name:  14055672400_1b13ed47c4.jpg
Size:  126.2 KB
    Three Gumball teams in one photo! And all happy and smiling! Yay!

This was, BY FAR, the highlight of the event for me. I loved making a nuisance of myself, hollering across at the boats (and even sometimes Tom Sawyer Island) and waving pom-poms trying to get other Gumball teams to wave back. (To their credit, most of them did. So did many regular guests. And nearly everyone who saw our antics smiled. Made my day.)

Our fast passes weren't up yet, so we decided to go to the Island and knock out that mini quest. (More pom-pom waving and cheering and general silliness occurred. And the mister fan was a huge hit, among both our team and all the others who joined us on the Island.) We also took a trip on the Columbia, and spotted Emily and Doug as they splashed down into the briar patch. (Sadly, no picture, as this was entirely unexpected.)

Name:  14219128696_b4fe317a15.jpg
Size:  112.1 KB

We did get on Big Thunder, without any of the down-time problems that other teams reported. We also finished off Adventure Land, since there was no Indy to throw a wrench in our plans with long wait times or closures.

Among the other attractions we made was Winnie The Pooh. As we entered the line, we were joined by another team... whose story about this ride I'll leave for them to tell. But I'll just say they seemed to really like the ride.

Name:  14241979584_de4f7e4a75.jpg
Size:  112.2 KB

We also got on Splash Mountain despite its super-long lines, thanks to fast passes we'd picked up at some point during the day. (I forget the order of some of it... oh well.) Or at least, some of us did. My mom and I sat it out: her because the seats aren't comfortable for her, and me because I loathe the drop. While we were waiting, we met up with these lovely ladies:

Name:  14055671730_290b7001b0.jpg
Size:  137.4 KB

I think their Gumball Rally story for 2014 is one of the best I've heard. A surprise trip to the Rally when you think there's no way you can get there is completely amazing. Best daughter ever. Sorry, Mom. I can't compete with surprise Rally trips.

It was getting near the end of the Rally, and we knew just what attraction we needed to do next: Starbucks.

Name:  14240046152_4967dba245.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  182.4 KB

To finish out the day, we hopped on the train (finishing our drinks just before we boarded), then chased the parade for a final five points (I still think the star was silver, but that wasn't an option so we went with white) and turned in our booklet with seconds to spare. Good thing we didn't go by my dad's watch - it was three minutes slow, so he thought we were making better time than we were!

Another successful Rally in the books, we headed to the Little Red Wagon to get corn dogs for dinner before heading to the awards party.

The party was fun, as always, and though we were tired, we weren't nearly as tired as we had been in past years. In fact, we were so much less tired, that on our way back to our rooms at the Anabella, we decided that there was no way we could pass through the esplanade and NOT go in to the park.

Name:  14219127676_7e65a41b34.jpg
Size:  113.3 KB

Since we hadn't finished Fantasyland during the Rally, we headed there to finish the day, with a detour at the Main Street churro cart for the best churro I have EVER had. It was as fresh as it could get -- we watched them roll off the cooker, into the sugar, and straight into our mouths. Perfection.

The best part, though, about our late night Return To Disneyland, was seeing OTHER CRAZY TEAMS IN LINE WITH US. There were at least three teams besides us in the Peter Pan line as the park closed. A perfect end to a fantastic day.

But the trip wasn't over quite yet...
    proud member of Rally team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Team Spirit award

The final day of our trip was May the Fourth (be with you), and we joined the many MiceChatters there for the Mega Noon Meet.

Name:  14055634929_5862989564.jpg
Size:  123.0 KB

There never seems to be enough time to socialize during Gumball Rally, so it's nice to have the day after for some final chatting and farewells to Rally friends.

Being May The Fourth, there were also some MiceChatters in awesome costumes:

Name:  14055698887_8bfdb82446.jpg
Size:  126.5 KB

Some of our Rally friends were even still sporting their beads from the ESPN breakfast the day before! Hi Amy and Kiersten!

Name:  14238977151_669705a427.jpg
Size:  116.1 KB

I love being able to make the noon meets, but the Mega Meet is my favorite.

Name:  14241977834_7558eccb58.jpg
Size:  108.6 KB

Name:  14055669800_b618a9d224.jpg
Size:  104.2 KB

It gives us a chance to come down off the Rally high, and also to chat with the Rally staffers who put so much effort into making something fun for the rest of us to play. (Thanks guys!)

Name:  14242284195_a45e47856c.jpg
Size:  131.8 KB

The day is never long enough, though, and before we knew it, lunch was over and it was time to fly home. This was an amazing week, and I made some great new friends (both on the CommuniTour and at Gumball Rally).

So, thanks for reading along with me on this long trip report, and (as they say at Disney) I'll see ya real soon!

You left me hanging! Great trip & great storytelling. Thanks for sharing!!

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    You left me hanging! Great trip & great storytelling. Thanks for sharing!!
    LOL, sorry to keep you in suspense! Glad you enjoyed the report.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Thanks for writing such an awesome trip report! It was amazing from beginning to end! You guys (and gals!) are seriously the best and are definitely one of the teams I look forward to seeing every year at the Gumball Rally. Never change, team "It Doesn't Matterhorn!" Hope to see you all return next year!

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrm View Post
    LOL, sorry to keep you in suspense! Glad you enjoyed the report.
    I guess you posted as I was reading.

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Thanks for writing such an awesome trip report! It was amazing from beginning to end! You guys (and gals!) are seriously the best and are definitely one of the teams I look forward to seeing every year at the Gumball Rally. Never change, team "It Doesn't Matterhorn!" Hope to see you all return next year!
    You're welcome! We always look forward to seeing you, too - can't wait for Rally 2015!

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Wow, fantastic trip report for both events. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Hey..those Jedi look familiar...oh wait that's us lol. We had great time at the rally and Team Doesn't Matterhorn definately diserved the Team Spirit award. They were upbeat and exicted all day, or at least every time we high fived them going by.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin999 View Post
    Hey..those Jedi look familiar...oh wait that's us lol. We had great time at the rally and Team Doesn't Matterhorn definately diserved the Team Spirit award. They were upbeat and exicted all day, or at least every time we high fived them going by.
    Awesome costumes! Loved seeing you guys at the meet!

And that was pretty much us all day long, but especially when we found another team (like you) who played along!

• D'land Visitor since '57

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    It was great to see you, too! Missed the rest of your team from prior years, but hopefully your brother really did have fun rallying!

We're already planning our new fun strategy for next year. Hope to see you there!
    Proud member of Team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Gumball Rally Team Spirit Award.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234