Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Wannabe Mousketeer

How to become the Rebel Spy on Star Tours

One of the funner elements in the new version of Star Tours, is that someone on the ride with you (or you yourself) gets pulled into the story, by being identified as a Rebel Spy.

As to which guest gets their face projected for all others to see, it is not quite a random process. A cast member operating the ride is the one who chooses which guest will be featured as the Rebel Spy.

On one occasion, I saw a guest cheerfully joking and engaging with the Cast Member getting everyone lined up and loaded. Sure enough, this fellow ended up being the Rebel Spy for that flight.

A short while later, I had the opportunity to do this myself. Albeit, it was a short time before the park was closing, I was wearing a "I'm celebrating my Birthday" buttons, and there were like only 7 other people on the ride with me, but don't knock it, it worked!
    The Thousandth Happy Haunt Mike Howard has a plan to become a permanent fixture of a popular Disneyland Attraction, The Haunted Mansion. A short story by L. Christopher Bird (ZenMondo).

flynnOS.org "A digital frontier to reshape the human condition."

JediPath.org Real-life applications of the Jedi Philosophy, without the mysticism.

• Grim Grinning

Re: How to become the Rebel Spy on Star Tours

Something similar happened when my sister and I rode last week. She'd mentioned that she's been trying to get the rebel spy and never got it. Something had happened with the gate we were originally at and they ended up moving us to another one. We seemed to be the only ones who understood that we had to move. We were joking back and forth with the CM for a bit, then sure enough, she got the rebel spy. It was pretty cool & it made her night.

• formerly very helpful

I've wanted to be the rebel spy since my first time riding it. Thanks for the tip!

I was the Rebel Spy the very first time I rode the revamped ride. I didn't even know about that element of the ride. I looked at the screen and said, "Ha! That guy looks weird...WAITAMINNIT! That's ME!"

I don't remember doing anything to draw a cast member's attention. I may have been wearing a Star Wars shirt, though.

My mom was chosen when we went on the 17th.
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

I got to be the rebel spy recently and I don't remember doing anything to get anyone's attention. I had a Mouseketeer shirt on. We've been on that ride so many times I honestly thought it was random. I've seen so many people get it that didn't look like they were even paying attention. I'm just hoping my son will get it sometime, it will make his day.

• Dapper Dan-nabe

I once was wearing a Muppet shirt that a cast member complimented and was promptly the rebel spy. Since that time, I've been selected (with no extra effort) about 80% of the time I've ridden. I'm blaming my shaved head and beard for making me look "alien" enough to get the nod and just hoping that it has nothing to do with having a strange-looking face.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• Perfect Insanity

My husband has been it and did nothing other than make sure when we got in there that he had not put on the glasses yet and was facing forward. My 12 yr old was not happy about it cause he has been wanting to be it forever. All we ever do is make sure we are looking forward when we get in and if we have stuff to go under seats we do it quickly. Plus never put the 3-d glasses on until they tell you. I had heard that was the best way to get picked...that was not long after it had opened. Really I am betting it just depends on who the cm is there at the time and how they decide it.
    Princess Anna

Mom To
    Video Game Player-Noah (6/5/98)
    &
    Baseball Player, All Stars Basketball Player & All Net Champ -Kaleb (3/8/02)
    &
    Ballerina Princess Skylar (9/21/06)
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

What fun!
    I'd never thought about how/why they select

It must be surprising to see your self on the screen ;-)

intergalactic selfie

walks into shuttle, doing Jedi force hand motion... " I WILL be selected as rebel spy"... no wait... bad idea... hunted throughout the galaxy.....

• The doctor is in

I have never been the spy, but I have noticed two or three times that the people chosen were wearing birthday buttons or some other celebration button.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Production Designer

I was a rebel spy when I was dressed in my Captain Hook dapper attire... which made it humorous as the whole cabin was laughing.

• Briar Patch Bears Coach

Nice tip! I had read somewhere there were certain seating spots that were "hot spots" but that didn't work, I've been on this ride like 20+ times in my past 2 visits and had never gotten it so this is a great suggestion! Reminds of the Tiki Room where if you ask the Cast Member to wake up Jose you get to start the show!

We noticed this last time that they select the spy. My son was finally tall enough to ride, and we were near the loading CM while we waited for his very first ride. We were excitedly telling him that it was our son's first time. He told us to have him sit in a particular seat and sure enough he was the spy.
    I did glean from this that particular seats are more suitable for the spy (probably central ones?)

I guess when we were all dressed as Jedi for Halloween it was a little TOO obvious lol.

• Done with MC.

After I saw the same picture of a kid show up two days in a row (and he wasn't even on the ride the second day) I kinda lost faith in the technology. After that I found that I couldn't find see the person in the car that was supposedly the spy. Looked like they were just using on-file images.

• Briar Patch Bears Coach

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    After I saw the same picture of a kid show up two days in a row (and he wasn't even on the ride the second day) I kinda lost faith in the technology. After that I found that I couldn't find see the person in the car that was supposedly the spy. Looked like they were just using on-file images.
    That is weird... never happened to me. I've always seen the spy on the picture on the ride. Maybe the camera was broken so they had that picture as a backup or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast