- Future attractions on hold
    - negotiations to expand Pumba and add bridge to drop off area
    - possibly new CM parking lots to be added
    - Fantasyland dark ride Updates A-Go
    - Main Street Arcade now has the green light
    Met Anna and Elsa over 600 times and not afraid to admit it. Just let it go

My YouTube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasTheImagineer

Re: Micechat Update: Executives Shuffle,

People can debate what the true reasons are that there hasn't been any new projects announced. However, I think most people would agree that the infrastructure in and around the parks needs to be improved.

So I enjoyed reading the rumors of more parking, Main Street alley, and outside streetcar.

• Not the Hawkguy

I am pretty much the happiest person because of the rumors to buff up infrastructure. An 8-story lot taking over Puumba and extra land to the north should put it close to the capacity of M&F, and the Main Street alley should help crowd issues during parades/fireworks. Also happy that they're actually going through with the new CM lot first, which should hopefully fix some of their problems. Now just build a new parking structure at the DTD lot and I'd say they're pretty set for now.

Exactly, getting the infrastructure built out with an eye to the future would make things much better. After that we can work on getting other new things.

• Resident Adventurer

So... question. What happened to Finding Nemo Adventure to cause it to close down, and what's to happen with Finding Nemo/the Submarine Lagoon if Star Wars Land gets the green light from TDA?

“Once the lagoon is drained and the subs placed in mothballs, the attraction is planned to sit quietly and wait while the number crunchers in TDA count the savings for the rest of this fiscal year. If Star Wars Land finally gets approved and announced later in 2014 as Imagineering hopes, the submarines will have already been closed and can remain closed as the Blue Sky Cellar reopens with a splashy new exhibit showing the Endor forest and a new E Ticket ride where the submarine caverns currently reside. But if Fiscal Year 2015 approaches in October and the Star Wars project remains in financial limbo, TDA might consider performing a few weeks of a legitimately needed refurbishment to the underwater sets and vehicle battery packs themselves in order to reopen the ride by next Christmas.” –Miceage Update, January 7th, 2014
    This makes it sound like they're going to say goodbye to the subs once more? At the very least, if they plan on keeping the ride there and shoving this Star Wars ride in the caverns, they're going to have to remodel the entire track to circumvent that area and such...

Not that I was much of a fan of the ride, but I'm a bit curious.

*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧ Time until next Disney trip: *✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧
    ???

• Here's my 2 cents

IMO, they'll reopen for the 60th, after that close for good.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by IndyChick View Post
    So... question. What happened to Finding Nemo Adventure to cause it to close down, and what's to happen with Finding Nemo/the Submarine Lagoon if Star Wars Land gets the green light from TDA?

This makes it sound like they're going to say goodbye to the subs once more? At the very least, if they plan on keeping the ride there and shoving this Star Wars ride in the caverns, they're going to have to remodel the entire track to circumvent that area and such...

Not that I was much of a fan of the ride, but I'm a bit curious.
    Prevailing theory is that they reopen for a nostalgia run during the 60th anniversary before closing for good to make way for a new attraction in this area. Low RPH numbers and extremely high maintenance costs (the Subs pull in about 800 riders per hour, which is rather low, and is the most expensive ride in the park to run/maintain) have made them the target of removal rumors for years, which is also helped by the loss of the Subs at WDW.

Of course, these are all rumors, and all the concrete information we have right now suggests this is just a refurb being stretched out to save costs before reopening late this year.

• Resident Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Prevailing theory is that they reopen for a nostalgia run during the 60th anniversary before closing for good to make way for a new attraction in this area. Low RPH numbers and extremely high maintenance costs (the Subs pull in about 800 riders per hour, which is rather low, and is the most expensive ride in the park to run/maintain) have made them the target of removal rumors for years, which is also helped by the loss of the Subs at WDW.

Of course, these are all rumors, and all the concrete information we have right now suggests this is just a refurb being stretched out to save costs before reopening late this year.
    And that new attraction being the Endor ride?

Can't say that I'm sad to see the ride go. My only favorite part was the seagulls on the buoys saying "mine" as you walked by the ride... otherwise it wasn't really worth the ridiculous wait just to be crammed into a claustrophobic enducing sub for ten minutes.

*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧ Time until next Disney trip: *✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧
    ???

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by IndyChick View Post
    And that new attraction being the Endor ride?

Can't say that I'm sad to see the ride go. My only favorite part was the seagulls on the buoys saying "mine" as you walked by the ride... otherwise it wasn't really worth the ridiculous wait just to be crammed into a claustrophobic enducing sub for ten minutes.
    Not an Endor ride so much as that entire area (Subs and Autopia) would be rethemed to Endor.

Other ideas thrown around were an underwater ride through Naboo.

But again, all theories and speculation. Nothing concrete has come of them.

• Special Agent

I am pretty much the happiest person because of the rumors to buff up infrastructure.
    These really aren't rumors. Most of the "news" regarding the parking and street car improvements have been in the local news for the past 8 months.

An 8-story lot taking over Puumba and extra land to the north should put it close to the capacity of M&F
    It could very well be close to the capacity of M&F, but it's worth pointing out that the land north of Alro Way is currently being eyed as a Maintenance yard for the street car. With the street car heading down Alro way, that land would not be of any use to Disney anyway.

Also happy that they're actually going through with the new CM lot first, which should hopefully fix some of their problems. Now just build a new parking structure at the DTD lot and I'd say they're pretty set for now.
    They would have to expand the CM parking before closing the Pumbaa lot as the Pumbaa lot is being used for Cast Parking right now. They can't build the structure until they move those people so there isnt' much of a net gain here.

And it should be pointed out that everything is on hold until OCTA reviews the plan for the street car. There's been a lot of controversy regarding the plans to basically build a tram for Disney with public money, so there's no guarantee that will actually happen. I'm sure Disney is waiting to find out what they can get the city to pay for before continuing, so it could be a few years before any plans get nailed down.

As for the rest of the update... meh.

Sorry but there is nothing that can convince me that the Subs are coming back and then closing permanently. The Submarine Voyage, Nemo theme or no Nemo theme is here to stay. I admit that I'm not the biggest fan of the the Nemo theme but it doesn't bother me too much. As long as the Subs are operational, that's fine with me.

• Minion

Right now, to me the only things that seem plausible in this are the Parking Lots and the management shakeup. The subs thing has been talked about at length and I don't know about everyone else, but to me, from the posters on the construction walls and Bob Iger's little blurb on the subs, it looks like Nemo will be here for a while. I'm sure that when they "reimagined" the ride in 2007, they kept in mind that the ride has a very low capacity due and high costs just simply due to its nature.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    Right now, to me the only things that seem plausible in this are the Parking Lots and the management shakeup. The subs thing has been talked about at length and I don't know about everyone else, but to me, from the posters on the construction walls and Bob Iger's little blurb on the subs, it looks like Nemo will be here for a while. I'm sure that when they "reimagined" the ride in 2007, they kept in mind that the ride has a very low capacity due and high costs just simply due to its nature.
    agreed

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    The Fantasyland upgrades seem pretty plausible as well, and I could see the Main Street alley thing happening at some point.

• Minion

The Fantasyland upgrades seem pretty plausible as well, and I could see the Main Street alley thing happening at some point.
    Probably, we'll see how Alice is when it reopens. If I read the article correctly, it seems like WDW's project got green lighted but not Disneyland's. I wouldn't be surprised though if they want to try it first at WDW before bringing it to Disneyland's Main Street.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast