Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Re: For Dog lovers ... Dogs in and around the parks.

That's what people should do for ALL dogs they encounter. As for those "mean, vicious pit bulls," ANYBODY who is mistreated will get angry and misbehave. Even get violent. But most pit bulls I've known (I volunteer at a pet rescue) are the sweetest dogs in the world. Very loving and affectionate.

• Minion

We've been raising service dogs for Canine Companions for Independence for over 10 years. My daughter also has a hearing dog. We are frequently in Disneyland with dogs. It takes a lot of work and patience. Doing Disneyland with a pup is a lot like taking a 3yo (a well behaved 3yo.)

If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Banned User

tgdiver, Bella is just starting out, but I think that once she (lets be honest, its me that is holding her back. I wish I knew what to change!!) gets past her shyness, she will be able to go all the way. She has a very calm and gentle manner.

We are only in obedience, but as long as she keeps working at it, I will too!

And I've started bring treats for strangers to offer her. She is shy, but is more receptive to treats. She is making real strides.

And while she doesn't love the fireworks, she isn't terrified of them, so I think that with work she will be non-reactive to them entirely. Now she sleeps through them or hangs out inside the house. Baby steps right?

• Banned User

Malcon10t, I LOVE the picture of the doggie with the Mickey ears!! *swoon* <3

• formerly very helpful

All those dogs are adorable! Thanks for sharing your pictures of such beautiful people!

Love the photos!
    I have a friend who trains Assistance Dogs. Being a DL fan she takes them there, of course.
    She posted some photos of one of her dogs at the parks, and at first when I saw one of her and the dog in a teacup I was ...
    Then I realized it was the one that they have outside of the ride for photoshoots.
    She told me a list of what rides dogs are allowed on and which they are not allowed on, but I don't recall now which was which.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyminx View Post
    And while she doesn't love the fireworks, she isn't terrified of them, so I think that with work she will be non-reactive to them entirely. Now she sleeps through them or hangs out inside the house. Baby steps right?
    That's pretty impressive.
    One of the reasons I love the fireworks at DL is that I can watch them without worrying about my dogs getting upset by the noise!

• Banned User

When I worked on the canoes, we had a service dog ride. It sat right behind me. It took all of my willpower to not pet the dog. I did smile uncontrollably, but that is always ok, right?

Love my pup, but he's not a good candidate for Disneylanding. Maybe if we had a hotel room but he's way too "velcro-dog" to leave in a kennel for long.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I'm glad only service animals are permitted... Only because I'm allergic to dogs and don't see why some people feel the need to bring them everywhere, like a grocery store! Really people? Ok I'm done :P
    WDW: 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 2003
    Disneyland: 1997, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2014

"Mustard... Yes, but MUSTARD?! Don't let's be silly!

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    I heard somewhere that there are 999 dead people living in The Haunted Mansion........

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hadla View Post
    I'm glad only service animals are permitted... Only because I'm allergic to dogs
    I tend to agree with this. I've unfortunately found that some people don't control their dogs, or think it's really cute when their animals lunge/jump at/approach other people without being invited to do so. If dogs that weren't service dogs were allowed in Disneyland, I'd worry about this becoming a problem, and I'd probably stop going.

For me this gets dangerous because I'm allergic to the point that I've actually ended up in the hospital with a severe reaction from contact with a dog.

I love seeing the well-behaved service dogs at Disneyland, though. The things they're trained to do are absolutely amazing, and they really do expand the world for the humans they serve.
    Last edited by Malina; 04-30-2014 at 12:31 AM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by hadla View Post
    I'm glad only service animals are permitted... Only because I'm allergic to dogs and don't see why some people feel the need to bring them everywhere, like a grocery store! Really people? Ok I'm done :P
    An outside IT person I use from time to time for my business also trains service dogs, he has some kind of arrangement with Disneyland that when its time to train the dogs for crowds and noise he goes to the Park, he has told me that when he's there that 90-100% of the dogs there are NOT service dogs.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tomrules1955 View Post
    An outside IT person I use from time to time for my business also trains service dogs, he has some kind of arrangement with Disneyland that when its time to train the dogs for crowds and noise he goes to the Park, he has told me that when he's there that 90-100% of the dogs there are NOT service dogs.
    There are a lot that are "fake". Sadly, this hurts those who use service dogs, as all it takes is one bad dog to make the CM question everyone else.

Disneyland is quite accepting of service dogs in training. In fact, they have trained 2 dogs for Canine Companions in their TDA offices. (Disney and Disney II). We have been bringing Service dogs in training to Disneyland for 10+ years. While it can be a lot of fun, it is also a LOT of work. And people don't always grasp the concept that the dog is working. We have a lot of issues with people (generally adults) whistling and calling to our dogs, offering food products, kicking or hitting the dog (yes, really), or demanding we stop so they can take a pic. But, because of these issues, we can train our dogs to ignore people calling our dogs, to ignore food until handler says ok, and to keep moving with the handler despite being grabbed. We try to help train the public that these dogs have a serious job to do, and in some cases, interfering can be a major problem.

That said, DIsneyland is one of the best places to train...
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Banned User

:o I can't imagine hitting a dog! A service dog no less! Terrible.

I am always amazed by the poor dog skills that people have: trying to touch unknown dogs, feeding them, getting their attention, etc. So dangerous... and they usually are standing next to a child who is learning the same bad examples.

I always look adoringly and then keep moving. They are busy being of service!

• formerly very helpful

Agreed, Curlyminx.

I'm sickened at the thought that people would actually kicking or hitting a dog! Absolutely horrendous.

The same goes for any dog, not just service dogs: Don't pet them without permission. Even a non-service dog can be in the middle of training, or nervous, dealing with abuse issues, whatever. Maybe just not friendly with people he doesn't know. Apart from all these reasons, there's also the fact that a dog you encounter anywhere ISN'T YOURS! Respect others' property/companions.

My kids love dogs like crazy, and always want to pet any dog they see, but they've learned that they ALWAYS ask the adult in charge of that dog if they can pet. Usually, most people are all too happy to let their dog get some welcome affection. And they are always grateful for the respect of being asked first.

I'll get off my soapbox now. I just love dogs and hate to see people not treating them correctly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast