Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: For Dog lovers ... Dogs in and around the parks.

ORWEN: Are Pluto and Bolt service dogs? I mean, I've seen them in the park lots of times and somebody else said Disney management only allows service dogs into the park. I guess that explains why I never see Pongo, Perdita, Lady or Tramp--not to mention scamp!!!

• Im awkward youre gorgeous

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  110.2 KB

This is Chuckles!!! He is a seasoned Kennel Club veteran at only 10 months old! My BFF brings him nearly every time we go to the parks, and he's a champ. He likes Kennel Club way more than hanging out at home by himself, and he's a big people-pleaser, so he loooooves meeting people on the walk from M&F to the Kennel Club. In fact one time we caused a bit of a commotion in Downtown Disney because a group of about 20 teenagers on their way to prom stopped to ogle him and take pictures.

He is incredibly well-behaved on the walk between the kennel club and the parking structure, but we do tend to get held up by a lot of people who want to pet him. So needless to say, Chuckles LOOOOOOVES his trips to Disneyland.

Has anyone else ever seen the inside of the Kennel Club? It's actually pretty adorable. Not much to it, but there's a little patio with a big Lady and the Tramp screen on the fence and some benches and a plastic fire hydrant :-P

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBoredealis View Post
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  110.2 KB

This is Chuckles!!! He is a seasoned Kennel Club veteran at only 10 months old! My BFF brings him nearly every time we go to the parks, and he's a champ. He likes Kennel Club way more than hanging out at home by himself, and he's a big people-pleaser, so he loooooves meeting people on the walk from M&F to the Kennel Club. In fact one time we caused a bit of a commotion in Downtown Disney because a group of about 20 teenagers on their way to prom stopped to ogle him and take pictures.

He is incredibly well-behaved on the walk between the kennel club and the parking structure, but we do tend to get held up by a lot of people who want to pet him. So needless to say, Chuckles LOOOOOOVES his trips to Disneyland.

Has anyone else ever seen the inside of the Kennel Club? It's actually pretty adorable. Not much to it, but there's a little patio with a big Lady and the Tramp screen on the fence and some benches and a plastic fire hydrant :-P
    Soooo cute! Is he a Corgi?
    My husband checked our dog in once for a few hours, but I wasn't there and didn't see.

• Loving all things Disney!

I'm a huge dog lover, but I would be pretty upset if I saw a dog in the park. Not only does this pose a safety hazard to the dog, it's also hazardous for everyone else at the parks too (this is including people with severe allergies). Not to mention children and adults with a fear of dogs. My cousin's little girl is deathly afraid of dogs, so I know their family would be quite upset if they saw a dog at the parks. Also, wouldn't Disney be responsible if a dog in their park bit someone? That's one reason why they don't allow dogs in many stores.

If they start letting dogs in, I think I should be able to bring a certain feline friend into the park with me.
    "To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relieves fond memories of he past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."
    - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaGirl View Post
    I'm a huge dog lover, but I would be pretty upset if I saw a dog in the park. Not only does this pose a safety hazard to the dog, it's also hazardous for everyone else at the parks too (this is including people with severe allergies). Not to mention children and adults with a fear of dogs. My cousin's little girl is deathly afraid of dogs, so I know their family would be quite upset if they saw a dog at the parks. Also, wouldn't Disney be responsible if a dog in their park bit someone? That's one reason why they don't allow dogs in many stores.

If they start letting dogs in, I think I should be able to bring a certain feline friend into the park with me.
    Cindy, I don't think many of us would like to see all dogs allowed inside the parks.
    Right now the only dogs allowed inside are Service Dogs, which are supposed to be able to behave in such an environment.

• Perfect Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    Cindy, I don't think many of us would like to see all dogs allowed inside the parks.
    Right now the only dogs allowed inside are Service Dogs, which are supposed to be able to behave in such an environment.
    Sadly though that isn't always the case. I wish a CM had been at the exit of Splash the one day I saw this family of 4 dragging their little dog along to the exit. You could tell by how rushed they were and pulling the dog behind them that it was not a service dog but their pet. I'm going to bet they claimed it was a service dog or a comfort dog. I know I have been bit by a dog and am not comfortable around certain dogs still. I would never want to see dogs running through the parks. Service dogs, yes becasue they are doing a job and should be there but otherwise forget it. I have seen to many that you can tell are not service dogs in the parks as it is over the last couple of years now. Plus the fact is the way some are in the parks as it is, can you imagine if those same people had dogs? I can bet some might think it ok to let them run around off a leash. Which goes back to the safety factor.
    CinderellaGirl, I have joke about saying one of my cats is a comfort pet but I would never really do that to them. They would freak.
    Princess Anna

Mom To
    Video Game Player-Noah (6/5/98)
    &
    Baseball Player, All Stars Basketball Player & All Net Champ -Kaleb (3/8/02)
    &
    Ballerina Princess Skylar (9/21/06)
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

The thing about the ADA is that only service dogs are covered, not therapy or comfort dogs (looked it up).. It is possible that DL tries to avoid controversy and possible confrontations and tantrums by people who are questioned. Sadly, if you Google "service dog vest," you can find hundreds of websites where you can purchase paraphernalia to turn Fido into a bonafide "service dog." As a previous poster pointed out, the dog's behavior and demeanor will be the tell. My daughter and I have seen many that we knew were not real service dogs, and many that were. And it's so hard not to pet! Last trip I saw a gorgeous Pit/Dalmatian mix that I just wanted to run away with!

I know laws prevent businesses from asking about disabilities, but there should be a way for DL to welcome service dogs and their people while discouraging the fakes. Again, a previous poster took the words right out of my mouth: it causes problems for genuinely needed and valued service dogs when phonies drag their poorly behaved pets around and problems arise. I love my sweet pit mix, but know just what havoc she would cause, jumping on people and getting into everything. And I do mean everything.​ Sigh.

I always thought Service Dogs needed to have their paperwork presented before entry.
    They did need it before they came into the zoo, and in fact, Security would always radio staff to let them know that a SD was on grounds.
    People with the SDs were given a list of places they were allowed and not allowed in the park.
    I see a list of where the dogs are restricted from here on the DL site
    https://disneyland.disney.go.com/gue...rvice-animals/
    I didn't see any listing of what documentation was needed at DL for a Service Dog!
    I know that ADA restricts people from being asked for paperwork to "prove" a disability, but I really did think that access of Service Dogs could be verified with some kind of cerification...

• Perfect Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by tgdiver View Post
    The thing about the ADA is that only service dogs are covered, not therapy or comfort dogs (looked it up).. It is possible that DL tries to avoid controversy and possible confrontations and tantrums by people who are questioned. Sadly, if you Google "service dog vest," you can find hundreds of websites where you can purchase paraphernalia to turn Fido into a bonafide "service dog." As a previous poster pointed out, the dog's behavior and demeanor will be the tell. My daughter and I have seen many that we knew were not real service dogs, and many that were. And it's so hard not to pet! Last trip I saw a gorgeous Pit/Dalmatian mix that I just wanted to run away with!

I know laws prevent businesses from asking about disabilities, but there should be a way for DL to welcome service dogs and their people while discouraging the fakes. Again, a previous poster took the words right out of my mouth: it causes problems for genuinely needed and valued service dogs when phonies drag their poorly behaved pets around and problems arise. I love my sweet pit mix, but know just what havoc she would cause, jumping on people and getting into everything. And I do mean everything.​ Sigh.
    There was a thing on the news about that a bit ago too. It sad that people would do that but yet things like that don't surprise me at this point. I know the ones I've seen in DL that you could tell were not service dogs didn't have any vest or special leashes but they did have a regular leash like anyone else would. That is what killed me with the ones I saw dragging their dog along. I wasn't happy to see that but no CM there and I'm not sure if one would have done something. You would think that DL could ask for paperwork for service dogs but yet again that seems to be another thing that those sites selling fake vests and such will do as well. It is a shame this happens when most of us can spot the fakes from the real because of how they behave. Honestly if DL doesn't do something at some point here there could come a time that a problem happens with one of those fake dogs. I really hope it never happens though.

Scarlet, I didn't realize there was places the service dogs weren't allowed. I see Splash was on that list so I wonder what happened when that couple dragging their poor dog went in there? There wasn't a CM at the exit so they would have been able to walk on in to the ride. Anyway, that is good enough to know.
    Princess Anna

Mom To
    Video Game Player-Noah (6/5/98)
    &
    Baseball Player, All Stars Basketball Player & All Net Champ -Kaleb (3/8/02)
    &
    Ballerina Princess Skylar (9/21/06)
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    I always thought Service Dogs needed to have their paperwork presented before entry.
    They did need it before they came into the zoo, and in fact, Security would always radio staff to let them know that a SD was on grounds.
    People with the SDs were given a list of places they were allowed and not allowed in the park.
    I see a list of where the dogs are restricted from here on the DL site
    https://disneyland.disney.go.com/gue...rvice-animals/
    I didn't see any listing of what documentation was needed at DL for a Service Dog!
    I know that ADA restricts people from being asked for paperwork to "prove" a disability, but I really did think that access of Service Dogs could be verified with some kind of cerification...
    As far as I know all they are allowed to ask at Disneyland, or anywhere else, is "what does the dog do for you?" or "what skill does the dog help you perform?"As far as I know there's no certification or training documentation necessary.

I think this is going to end up being another situation (not just as Disneyland but everywhere) where widespread abuse harms those who have real service animals. I've seen fakes more than once, and I've actually seen people laugh about faking it to get their dogs admitted everywhere. I was on the bus a while back, and a woman got on with her "service" Pomeranian - who was horribly behaved and was trying to jump at people. Real service dogs know when they are working and they never do that.

Requiring some sort of documentation - or, say, a special service dog license that is only issued when the dog completes its formal training - would really help weed out the fakes.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• ...and the Flowers Croon

Malina is correct. The ADA protects people with legitimately self-trained assistance dogs from questioning beyond, "Is this an assistance dog?" It's very similar to the GAC/DAS situation -- Disneyland cannot ask for documentation from a doctor or proof of disability in order to issue those, or else be in violation of the ADA. They also cannot ask for verification that a dog is a service dog in order to permit them to enter.

The thing is, there's no governing agency overseeing "certification" of assistance dogs, and there's no certification required under the ADA; thus, anyone can claim their dog is an assistance dog and get away with it. However, businesses are protected insofar as the dogs must be well-behaved, not disrupt regular business (barking, jumping on people, etc.) and must be clean, and above all not dangerous. If any of those are an issue, a business can indeed ask someone to leave, and not be in violation of the law.

The crux of the issue is that lack of a governmental agency to oversee verification. Putting one in place would be a logistical nightmare, but will probably become necessary as abuse of this very flexible law (which has the best of intentions, to allow people with legitimate assistance dogs not trained by an agency to have access to public places with their service dogs) becomes rampant.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirdsSingWords View Post
    Malina is correct. The ADA protects people with legitimately self-trained assistance dogs from questioning beyond, "Is this an assistance dog?" It's very similar to the GAC/DAS situation -- Disneyland cannot ask for documentation from a doctor or proof of disability in order to issue those, or else be in violation of the ADA. They also cannot ask for verification that a dog is a service dog in order to permit them to enter.

The thing is, there's no governing agency overseeing "certification" of assistance dogs, and there's no certification required under the ADA; thus, anyone can claim their dog is an assistance dog and get away with it. However, businesses are protected insofar as the dogs must be well-behaved, not disrupt regular business (barking, jumping on people, etc.) and must be clean, and above all not dangerous. If any of those are an issue, a business can indeed ask someone to leave, and not be in violation of the law.

The crux of the issue is that lack of a governmental agency to oversee verification. Putting one in place would be a logistical nightmare, but will probably become necessary as abuse of this very flexible law (which has the best of intentions, to allow people with legitimate assistance dogs not trained by an agency to have access to public places with their service dogs) becomes rampant.
    I understand both sides of this. I have no problem with PROPERLY self trained service dogs. BUT the law gives access for service dogs to the disabled person. Technically, a person has to be declared disabled and in need of a service dog by a physician. But too many people say "Well, I need a dog with me for XYZ reason, so I am going to say Buster is my service dog." ADA has in the past couple years tightened regulations, and I am looking forward to future tightening

My daughter has a hearing dog. It gives her independence. We trained Belle (we had been training service dogs for years) after my daughter slept through our fire alarm going off at night (it was right outside her door.) Her service dog has access because of my daughter's disability. When I have Belle, *I* cannot take her into a store, restaurant, Disneyland because *I* am not disabled. The access follows the disabled person.

This is why therapy dogs do not have access to restaurants and such, UNLESS they are with a patient.

Dogs properly trained are not a problem. Service dogs should go somewhat unnoticed. We go to restaurants and the dogs lie under the table. I love it when we get up to leave and we hear "I didn't know there was a dog in here!!" That is how it should be. If the dog is standing, moving around, making noise, grooming itself, eating off the ground, it isn't properly trained.

The little girl sleeping on the Lilly Belle in my avatar now works with children who have orthopedical challenges.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• formerly very helpful

As a dog lover, I'm really bothered by the people who would bring their non-service dog to Disneyland, or anywhere. First, all good dog owners accept the responsibility of caring for e dog properly. This includes not imposing your dog on others in public. Also, Disneyland would be a very stressful place for a dog, with all of the unusual sites and sounds and obscene amounts of people. Think how hard it is for human babies and toddlers, for whom much of Disneyland was designed. It was not made for dogs. They'll be happier somewhere else, much more calm. Service dogs are properly trained to handle high stress situations like that.

Me, too sbk1234! I wouldn't bring my non-service dog to Disneyland just because he/she is "well-behaved" or "cute." That is taking advantage of the system and making it harder for a service dog and the owner/handler who actually need the opportunity. This screams abuse, not too different from the GAS abuse.

A dog trainer I know sent me an email with this link last year.
    Stop Fake Service Dog Products - Canine Companions for Independence

Btw, I know that veterinary certification of certain vaccinations are required in order to board your dog at the DL kennel. Are they also required in order to bring SDs inside the parks?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast