Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: For Dog lovers ... Dogs in and around the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    A dog trainer I know sent me an email with this link last year.
    Stop Fake Service Dog Products - Canine Companions for Independence

Btw, I know that veterinary certification of certain vaccinations are required in order to board your dog at the DL kennel. Are they also required in order to bring SDs inside the parks?
    Thank you for posting that. We raise for CCI.

No, no requirements of vaccine records needed to bring the dog into the park. I would not want to have to carry our vaccine paperwork everywhere, but we usually have it in the hotel room, along with out insurance policy for the pup.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Former Churro Jockey

I have no idea what kind of documentation is required to bring the animal in the park, but service ANIMALS of all kinds can be found at Disneyland. In addition to dogs, I have personally seen some kind of service bird (parrot?) at the park. We were actually told during training tht there are a variety of animals that can be taught to be service animals, including monkeys (I a bummed I never saw one!).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I have no idea what kind of documentation is required to bring the animal in the park, but service ANIMALS of all kinds can be found at Disneyland. In addition to dogs, I have personally seen some kind of service bird (parrot?) at the park. We were actually told during training tht there are a variety of animals that can be taught to be service animals, including monkeys (I a bummed I never saw one!).
    Actually, that is no longer true. In 2011, due to abuse, the DOJ redefined service animals to limit it to dogs and miniature horses. I think the "service snake" was the straw that broke the camels back.

They also redefined what qualified as a service animal, eliminating companion animals, comfort dogs, therapy animals, etc...

From the DOJ's ADA site "A service animal is any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered to be service animals."
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Actually, that is no longer true. In 2011, due to abuse, the DOJ redefined service animals to limit it to dogs and miniature horses. I think the "service snake" was the straw that broke the camels back.

They also redefined what qualified as a service animal, eliminating companion animals, comfort dogs, therapy animals, etc...

From the DOJ's ADA site "A service animal is any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered to be service animals."
    In a way that's a shame because it eliminates anyone with dog/horse allergies from ever having a service animal. I would think there might be a few others that could be legitimately trained besides dogs and horses. I understand why they did it, if they were getting "service snakes" it must have been getting to the point of sheer absurdity - but still.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    In a way that's a shame because it eliminates anyone with dog/horse allergies from ever having a service animal. I would think there might be a few others that could be legitimately trained besides dogs and horses. I understand why they did it, if they were getting "service snakes" it must have been getting to the point of sheer absurdity - but still.
    Yep, San Francisco even had a service chicken....

•   
    • Minion

...wow. I can't even find words to comment on that. Did it help its owner cross the road or something?!
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    ...wow. I can't even find words to comment on that. Did it help its owner cross the road or something?!
    LOL!!

We've been raising service dogs for Canine Companions for Independence for over 10 years. My daughter also has a hearing dog. We are frequently in Disneyland with dogs. It takes a lot of work and patience. Doing Disneyland with a pup is a lot like taking a 3yo (a well behaved 3yo.)

Why do the dogs wear muzzles? I'm not a pet person btw

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Sadly though that isn't always the case. I wish a CM had been at the exit of Splash the one day I saw this family of 4 dragging their little dog along to the exit. You could tell by how rushed they were and pulling the dog behind them that it was not a service dog but their pet. I'm going to bet they claimed it was a service dog or a comfort dog. I know I have been bit by a dog and am not comfortable around certain dogs still. I would never want to see dogs running through the parks. Service dogs, yes becasue they are doing a job and should be there but otherwise forget it. I have seen to many that you can tell are not service dogs in the parks as it is over the last couple of years now. Plus the fact is the way some are in the parks as it is, can you imagine if those same people had dogs? I can bet some might think it ok to let them run around off a leash. Which goes back to the safety factor.
    CinderellaGirl, I have joke about saying one of my cats is a comfort pet but I would never really do that to them. They would freak.
    Shouldn't service dogs have official papers or something?!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    Why do the dogs wear muzzles? I'm not a pet person btw
    They aren't muzzles, they are called Gentle Leaders. They are similar to a horse halter. The pups can fully open their mouth, eat, drink, and lick you to death if allowed. They are used for training and for a final handler who might have hand issues.

A muzzle will cover the dogs mouth area and keep it from opening. If you look at any of the dogs, you will see they can open their mouths, and the top pic, the pup has her mouth open in the pic.

One of our baby pups meeting Cruella

• Tiki Dancer

They aren't muzzles, they are called Gentle Leaders. They are similar to a horse halter. The pups can fully open their mouth, eat, drink, and lick you to death if allowed. They are used for training and for a final handler who might have hand issues.

A muzzle will cover the dogs mouth area and keep it from opening. If you look at any of the dogs, you will see they can open their mouths, and the top pic, the pup has her mouth open in the pic.

One of our baby pups meeting Cruella

Awwww, did Cruella try and take your puppy?

Thx for sharing malcon10t

I'm not familiar with the collar that has the muzzle strap. Is that a CA thing? My neighbor has a seizure dog but it doesn't use that style of collar. Just curious since I see all your dogs wearing it. Great photos BTW.

Never mind. I just saw the answer a few posts ago while looking at the pics again.
    Last edited by MRaymond; 05-03-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Got an answer already.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Minion

LOVE this one!

• formerly very helpful

What a lucky dog!

FYI, the gentle leader is designed to put pressure on the top of the dog's muzzle, to simulate how the alpha dog will bite down on the beta dogs' muzzle to show who's boss. It's a less restrictive way of communicating in the dogs' language that you are the alpha. It is not painful to the dog in any way and also helps teach them not to pull on the leash. My dog trainer who is adamantly opposed to choke collars swears by the gentle leader.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast