Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Disneyland Dreamer

A trip to DLR is what you make of it.... or is it?

So a family who we are friends with (our daughters went to school together) drove up last Friday, did Saturday at DL (single park, no MM/EMH, stayed offsite), Sunday, went to the beach, and then came back to AZ. They were underwhelmed by DL and a bit disappointed. Also complained about spending $300 for the family for a day at Disneyland given their lackluster experience.

They had high expectations after seen our pics/trip reports and listening to what a grand time the girls had. We've always had STELLAR trips, even when our favorite attractions were down (Pirates/Splash/etc). I'm just baffled as to how they couldn't have had a great trip.

Which leads me to maybe it being they just aren't Disney people. OR.... maybe we just expect to have a great time and thus form our own destiny. Then, the wife and I started talking and thought "yeah, if we did a single park, single day, offsite with no EMH/MM, we'd probably have a lesser experience as well. The way we vacation (Stay at the Grand, up at dawn for EMH, get whatever you want souvenir/wise or food wise) makes it more enjoyable for us because we aren't worried about anything but getting the most out of our DLR vacation.

Is EMH that much of a game changer? Is park hopping that much of an added experience? We have yet to have them over and sit down and discuss it in detail, but I'm just struggling with how you couldn't have the time of your lives at DLR.

Re: A trip to DLR is what you make of it.... or is it?

Saturdays only at Disneyland are almost always a mistake, unless you're fine with seeing shows and only staying less than 6 hours. I have yet to meet anyone who went on a Saturday, only went to Disneyland, stayed more than 6 hours, and had a good time.

The other problem is most guests don't use their time efficiently/take advantage of the underutilized capacity at the parks. Pinocchio is a decent, short wait dark ride that's great to hit up while you wait for Fastpasses. Teacups never has more than a 10-15 minute wait. Splash Mountain's Single Rider is practically a walk-on before 11. Mickey and the Magical Map, Captain Eo, the Tiki Room, and Mr. Lincoln never fill up all their seats. Merida's wait is at least half of Mickey's and one eighth of Ana and Elsa's. On a Saturday, making rope drop versus sleeping an extra hour is the difference between 8 attractions and 12-15 attractions.

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    On a Saturday, making rope drop versus sleeping an extra hour is the difference between 8 attractions and 12-15 attractions.
    This

On weekends this is almost mandatory if you want to have an expectation of enjoying many attractions, plus as the crowds build your day is hours ahead of them and it doesn't seem so bad.

HOWEVER, I need to quote michatter Barbaraann here when it comes to vacations and expectations:

"If I don't have a good time on my vacation, it's my own fault"
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My motto is this:

If I don't have fun on vacation, then it's my own fault.

Attitude has a lot to do with things in our life. Although, I guess there might be something to the fact that some people are just not Disney people. Or they are not into themeparks. Or they lack patience. Hate standing in lines. Don't function well in crowds. I don't let those things bother me, but then we are all different. I leave my husband home, because quite frankly, it would be my fault if I didn't have a good time with him along.

It's nice sharing things/experiences with friends, but sometimes that just doesn't work out. What you love and adore, just might not be "their cup of tea". Your vacation ends up being less than you expected through an unknown fault of yours, called incompatibility.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tomrules1955 View Post
    This

On weekends this is almost mandatory if you want to have an expectation of enjoying many attractions, plus as the crowds build your day is hours ahead of them and it doesn't seem so bad.

HOWEVER, I need to quote michatter Barbaraann here when it comes to vacations and expectations:

"If I don't have a good time on my vacation, it's my own fault"
    You beat me to my own Quotation.

I guess my reputation proceeds me.

• Dreaming of next trip

If you only have one day to spend in DL you tend to be rushed, you run from one ride to the next. DL is best enjoyed at a slower pace. You need to take in the shows, watch the people so you can see the magic. You also have to over look some of the bad guests.
    Going to DL is like taking a trip, if you expect everything to come to you, you will be let down. If you go out as search for the things that you like, then you will have a great time. Those of us who have been many times know where to go and where to look.
    We also know that each trip will be different than the last.
    If you do not take the time to sit back and relax you miss the magic. I still remember a few years ago we were eating at the Hungry Bear, and sitting there next to the river took me back to my days of a youth going to camps in Oregon. Then I remembered that I was in the greater LA area. When you are in the middle of a large city area and feel like you are in the mountains, now that is magic.
    When people tell me that they are going for one day, I always feel that there is not enough time, most of our best trips have been several days long, that way we can do what we want and not rush around.
    Getting there first thing in the morning is also important, some of the best times are early in the day.

• Selfie Expert

If my trips were once a year (or even less often), I would be disappointed with a weekend trip. I've been spoiled with being able to go frequently lately, and therefore I don't mind crowds or refurbs, because I either rode the ride recently or plan to in the relatively near future. So with that consideration, attitude alone could not completely make up for some shortfalls for me.

That being said, I also very strongly believe that attitude is (almost) everything. If you go in with the mindset of making the best out of whatever happens, it's far more enjoyable than going in with a negative attitude or unrealistic expectations. I also have found that thinking "as long as I can do X, Y, and Z, I'll consider it a good trip" to not work so well. Then you define your enjoyment on specific things occurring, and if they don't then suddenly it was a bad trip. Certainly have some things in mind that you want to do, but if you don't get to it then it's okay - you still got to see and do so many other things!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    You beat me to my own Quotation.

I guess my reputation proceeds me.
    Barbaraann you're world famous!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• I'm from Canada eh!

One busy Saturday at Disneyland can kill anyones view of the park.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Your speculation that maybe they just aren't "Disney people" shouldn't be ignored. Back in the day you didn't have to be a "Disney person" to enjoy the park. It grabbed everyone. The notion that only locals or frequent park goers can only like the parks worries me a bit. Disneyland used to appeal to a lot broader range of people but if Disney is only catering now to this much smaller group what will happen when this group rediscovers Universal and Knotts?

• formerly very helpful

I do believe a lot of it has to do with expectations. If you go on a Saturday, but expect the crowds to be mild, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Like so many others have said, you have to plan on those crowds and be ready for them. A question for your friends may be "what were you expecting?"
    The reality is Disneyland isn't for everybody.

•   
    • Minion

Any trip IMO is what you make of it. I have never had a bad vacation honestly. Even the ones when I stay home. Just my outlook on life I think.

Expectations. My take is pretty much life is about expectations. Set them too high and 95% of the time you're going to be dissapointed. Set them low and more than not you're going to be happier about the outcome. Because they had heard and seen so many great things it sounds like their expectations were through the roof. I learned this from working at the movie theaters lol

• Certified DL Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    My motto is this:

If I don't have fun on vacation, then it's my own fault.
    Yes times a million.

I agree with others that Saturdays are a poor day to choose if you only have one day to enjoy the parks.

And there really are people who just aren't "Disney people". My mother for example rolls her eyes whenever I tell her I'd heading to California, and one time I paid for her and my brother to go and when I'd geek out on themeing or details in the park she'd give me this blank look and then complain about the crowds (even though this was a Tuesday at the end of January and the park was as empty as I've ever seen)
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*

I think a combination of factors caused their bad trip as any posters have had a good variety of ideas.

1. one day
    2. staying too far away
    3. overwhelmingly busy day
    4. great expectations from your stories
    5. How much planning did they do?

Our first trip to the park 7 years ago occurred in November, when DCA looked like Knott's on a weekday. We had two days and that was plenty back then. We didn't really plan but it wasn't busy so it didn't negatively affect our fun level. We didn't even know what fast pass was. LOL

We enjoyed ourselves so much that I inadvertently planned just by reading library books and web sites because I missed the park so much. We've gone at least once a year since then.

6. bad attitude or simply not a Disneyland family
    My family are notoriously bad planners. After they heard how much fun we have on our trips they wanted to go. I'd say about 5 years ago they went. I'm not sure what kind of pass they purchased, maybe a one day. My dad in particular didn't want to go. He took me (with the my mom and grandparents) when I was four. I don't really remember it. But apparently he hated it! Well, they get into the park on this trip and they loved it so much they went and bought another one day pass. Yes, you read that correctly. Bought a separate one day pass. Of course they wouldn't know you could take your ticket at the end of the day and upgrade because of the lack of planning. Even if they did they may not have made it over there to do it at the end of the day! On another of their trips; I don't think it was this one. They waited two hours for RSR. They still didn't know about fast passes or single rider.

Well, sometime shortly after that, maybe the next summer, we found out they were going again and we went with them. It was August. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it despite the busy crowds (We usually went in November). Here's what the trip was like: Go on the carrousel, get a churro. Go on Screamin' go to the bathroom. Go on Mulholland Madness, get a cotton candy. Go on Jumpin Jellyfish, get a corn dog. BORING! They didn't even know about a lot of the major rides like Space Mountain or Pirates. We're going with them in a month and one of them things they've still never been on Pirates. (I can't believe that as we must have taken them that trip.)

But, even with their lack of planning and information, they kept going back. They enjoyed the music and the atmosphere of just walking around the park. Because from what I can figure out until the trip with us they just wandered around eating food and doing an occasional ride.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast