Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• The Tomorrowland One

Re: HUGE black smoke billowing from Park today..

Quote Originally Posted by VintageGuy34 View Post
    Considering I travel along Ball Road @ Cast Place daily and saw the smoke coming from Disney property I can assure you it wasn't a car.
    Also remember that the roundhouse has the off ramp for the 5 south to Harbor Blvd and, well, the 5, right behind it.

Unless of course you saw AFD actually entering Disney property. There is also a construction trailer for one of the many contractors that is tucked away back in that general area. Not saying that I don't believe you, but the way the news media was all over a dry ice "bomb" as a full blown bomb threat, I would think that a large fire in Disneyland would also catch their attention very fast.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    Also remember that the roundhouse has the off ramp for the 5 south to Harbor Blvd and, well, the 5, right behind it.

Unless of course you saw AFD actually entering Disney property. There is also a construction trailer for one of the many contractors that is tucked away back in that general area. Not saying that I don't believe you, but the way the news media was all over a dry ice "bomb" as a full blown bomb threat, I would think that a large fire in Disneyland would also catch their attention very fast.
    I was sitting at the stop light at Cast Place & Ball Road which is much closer than Harbor/I-5 Ramp south watching the smoke pour out behind the area of the security shack. Clearly on Disney property, clearly not being talked about. Total of about 7-10 mins of solid black smoke..then the Fire Dept came.

• Circle of Ancients

Distance from Round House to Cast Place & Ball Rd = 450+ yards

Distance from Round House to Harbor Blvd Exit off I-5 = <10 yards

fwiw...
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

If you're talking about Cast Place and Ball, then its probably closer to TDA, the Circle D Corral, and Toontown. The Roundhouse is literally on the other side of the Harbor exit from I-5 South, the only thing separating the two is the chain link fence with the tarp on it.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Circle of Ancients

Two tweets about this incident I think:

https://twitter.com/search?q=car%20f...yland&src=typd

So, even though I am a 1,000 miles away I am going to stand pat on my assertion that this was most likely a car fire

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Two tweets about this incident I think:

https://twitter.com/search?q=car%20f...yland&src=typd

So, even though I am a 1,000 miles away I am going to stand pat on my assertion that this was most likely a car fire
    So not the roundhouse, great. The car was nowhere near the freeway, i was stopped at the red light at Cast Place watching the smoke pour out from behind the security shack (Property side) so I am guessing between the backside of Toontown and the building that butts up to Ball Road (Central Receiving I think). Twitter=disinformation since it's a bunch of anxious kids eager to spread rumors.

• Circle of Ancients

So not the roundhouse, great. The car was nowhere near the freeway, i was stopped at the red light at Cast Place watching the smoke pour out from behind the security shack (Property side) so I am guessing between the backside of Toontown and the building that butts up to Ball Road (Central Receiving I think). Twitter=disinformation since it's a bunch of anxious kids eager to spread rumors.
    Kind of a random thing for two separate people to mention a car fire near Disneyland at the same time you spotted black smoke .....and for no media whatsoever to mention a fire inside the park (dry ice bangs get national attention.....black smoke fires nada ) .... it.s a head scratcher for sure.

As for teens spreading disinformation.......my experience with teens is that they usually exaggerate these kinds of things.....a fire inside Disneyland would certainty be more exciting than a boring old car fire outside......why would they undersell?
    Last edited by sleepyjeff; 05-03-2014 at 05:14 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Kind of a random thing for two separate people to mention a car fire near Disneyland at the same time you spotted black smoke .....and for no media whatsoever to mention a fire inside the park (dry ice bangs get national attention.....black smoke fires nada ) .... it.s a head scratcher for sure.

As for teens spreading disinformation.......my experience with teens is that they usually exaggerate these kinds of things.....a fire inside Disneyland would certainty be more exciting than a boring old car fire outside......why would they undersell?
    The amount of smoke was well beyond that of a car on fire, I am a professional driver and have seen many go up in flames on the side of the road...this was MUCH more. I am not a Fireman however, so maybe the car had something in it that exploded or made more fire than usual, I don't know. It was clearly NOT outside the park, I watched the 2 Anaheim Fire Dept. trucks code 2 into the back gate past security. Not a separate incident.

As far as the kids go, they tend to be a little unreliable on info sometimes. They might have seen a car on the freeway with it's hood up and radiator steaming ( it was very hot that day) and thought it was on fire? I don't know...I was the only one there, so by default my limited info of what I saw should hold some weight as to the actual events that transpired, not some folks on Twitter I am glad though, that no one was killed or burned...the cloud was humongous.

• Circle of Ancients

The amount of smoke was well beyond that of a car on fire, I am a professional driver and have seen many go up in flames on the side of the road...this was MUCH more. I am not a Fireman however, so maybe the car had something in it that exploded or made more fire than usual, I don't know. It was clearly NOT outside the park, I watched the 2 Anaheim Fire Dept. trucks code 2 into the back gate past security. Not a separate incident.

As far as the kids go, they tend to be a little unreliable on info sometimes. They might have seen a car on the freeway with it's hood up and radiator steaming ( it was very hot that day) and thought it was on fire? I don't know...I was the only one there, so by default my limited info of what I saw should hold some weight as to the actual events that transpired, not some folks on Twitter I am glad though, that no one was killed or burned...the cloud was humongous.
    Fair enough.

• A Weather Eye Open

May be the one to point out that it could easily have been a car or other vehicle in a backstage area... They have a lot of company and construction vehicles back there! Trucks going in and out of that security checkpoint all day and night! Also all the shops and warehouses there for painting, refurb, electrical... There are a lot of industrial looking buildings. Could have been any type of vehicle or machine related fire it seems.

My heart saw the time you posted and thought, "oh no! the parade floats!" But as the parade was included in the Gumball Rally, I'm sure everyone would have noticed a missing float!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Hooterville, USA

Here's your car fire.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Here's your car fire.

Too bad that is the 57 Freeway Southbound though, and try quintupling that amount of smoke

• world class bilge rat

There are a lot of possibilities here; construction equipment is generally not well-maintained (after spending 40 years in the heavy construction trades, believe me, I know......lol), I've seen more than one piece go up in flames. Most of it is diesel, and that fuel makes more dark black smoke than gasoline.

I've also seen quite a few dumpsters catch on fire. If there's much plastic involved, there'll be a fairly thick cloud of black smoke.

Fires like these (especially dumpsters) are not common, but they occur often enough that they're usually not big news.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12