Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bulk fastpass distribution for Radiator Springs Racers

Just curious-- there must be a good reason DCA distributes all fastpasses for the entire day for this ride at opening. I just can't quite figure it out. I guess it's great if you get to the park right at rope drop and can shove your way to the mile-long line. Everybody else is pretty much out of luck. I wonder if there's a better way to give more visitors a chance to ride this ride without the 95+ minute wait?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Bulk fastpass distribution for Radiator Springs Racers

There is....it's called FP+ and it may be coming soon to a Southern Californian theme park near you

....of course, there's always my way.......

Eliminate fast pass altogether.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT View Post
    Just curious-- there must be a good reason DCA distributes all fastpasses for the entire day for this ride at opening. I just can't quite figure it out. I guess it's great if you get to the park right at rope drop and can shove your way to the mile-long line. Everybody else is pretty much out of luck. I wonder if there's a better way to give more visitors a chance to ride this ride without the 95+ minute wait?
    I've always suspected this was a method to try to encourage more people to be there earlier in the day, before the end-of-day Passholder rush starts.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• I'm not really here

sleepyjeff beat me too it.

The current FP system is told how many to give out per return window throughout the day, but not how often to distribute them, so if the demand is there at park opening, it will give them all out right then and there.

FP+ offers Disney a lot more control over how and when they are distributed. It also allows people to change plans so as their day goes on, they may release their RSR FPs in favor of something else because they can't make it back. So that will help as well. Rather than simply going unused FPs can cycle back into the system.

I'm not certain how much work it would take to reprogram the current system to have a distribution schedule, but I'm pretty certain with FP+ on the horizon, they don't want to invest in that.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

In early April, my family was able to get fastpass for it at about 10:20, three days in a row, for times at about 8-9 pm. Nighttime is the best time to ride, anyways.

The only time we had to get there really early was when the ride was brand new.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by hollyray View Post
    In early April, my family was able to get fastpass for it at about 10:20, three days in a row, for times at about 8-9 pm. Nighttime is the best time to ride, anyways.
    Constructive and informative post.

It's not Disneyland who decided that all FP should be distributed in the morning, it's everyone who wants a FP. When everyone rushes the FP machines at once, they run out quickly. The only wait to make them available longer throughout the day is if peole stop getting them in the morning.

The line for FP really isn't bad; I got in the line at rope drop and was pretty far back and 20 min. later had my pass in hand. I'll take a 20 min. wait over a 60+ minute wait any day.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    It's not Disneyland who decided that all FP should be distributed in the morning, it's everyone who wants a FP.
    Sorry, but this is Disney. Disney does what it does. And I'm cool with that, but let's get this straight-- The individual customer decides nothing.

When everyone rushes the FP machines at once, they run out quickly. The only wait to make them available longer throughout the day is if peole stop getting them in the morning.
    Sorry again. I won't pretend to understand all the talk about the distribution process and FP+ above, but I don't buy this. Are they forced to give them all out at once? Can't they give out a block of them at opening, then more at different times throughout the day? So if you don't happen to get there at rope drop you may still have a shot?

The line for FP really isn't bad.
    Agreed. It's not. It's the cumulative effect of waiting for a the shuttle, waiting at bag check, waiting at entrance, then shoving your way to the FP line (not sure how it is usually, but Wed. it was a shove-fest) and waiting there-- all for a shot at not having to wait as long in another line. Just a little bit maddening.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT View Post
    It's the cumulative effect of waiting for a the shuttle, waiting at bag check, waiting at entrance, then shoving your way to the FP line (not sure how it is usually, but Wed. it was a shove-fest) and waiting there-- all for a shot at not having to wait as long in another line. Just a little bit maddening.
    Yes, it really is.......so much so I've written a little song (with a little help from John Lennon)....

Imagine there's no short lines
    It isn't hard to do
    nothin's worth that wait
    grab a fast pass or two
    Imagine all the people
    queuing to skip a queue

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    There is....it's called FP+ and it may be coming soon to a Southern Californian theme park near you
    I hope you know that FP+ will not allow more people to ride RSR, considering it's a program based on availability, just the the current program.

And, with FP+, not everyone can reserve at the same time. So really, it doesn't level out the playing field.

I try to take an easygoing attitude toward RSR. If my group is there early enough to grab FPs, great, we'll do it. If not, and we still want to ride it, we'll do single rider.

Generally, though, we like to start at Disneyland Park to beat the crowds there. The RSR FP queue would be the only reason to start at DCA, but it's annoying to go all the way in there just to grab FPs.

I would love to see the "book any attraction at any kiosk" aspect of FP+ get implemented here, but that's the only part of the program I like.
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

Sorry again. I won't pretend to understand all the talk about the distribution process and FP+ above, but I don't buy this. Are they forced to give them all out at once? Can't they give out a block of them at opening, then more at different times throughout the day? So if you don't happen to get there at rope drop you may still have a shot?
    Technically, you're right, they could change the machines so they only give out X per hour, rather than simply allowing anyone to walk up at any time and get one for the next available window. I can't say I'd personally be in favor of that, and the notion of "so people don't have to get there right away" isn't really a strong argument to me.

As others pointed out, the devices give out a certain number per return window and once all return windows are done, they've run out. Since the demand is so high, enough people get them to run out early in the day. It's first come first served, just like all the lines in the park. The difference being the cutoff of when you can get in said line is usually close or nearer close for the standby lines, but still, if you show up, you get your shot. If they made it so it was X distributed per hour, it'd piss me off. Sure, you might be able to get a FP later in the day, but what if you went and they run out for that wave? Then instead of just getting your pass, coming back later, or missing your chance to have a pass and waiting in the regular line, you're walking across the park, getting in a line, waiting, oh oops no more passes for now come back later, coming back again, maybe you get once, repeat. Sure there'd be a time later in the day someone would have a chance of getting one, but there's still a finish number that can be distributed throughout the day so it's just giving you more opportunities to miss the window for getting a FP. I can't imagine that's be more pleasant, constantly walking across the park to wait in a line to not have to wait in another later longer line. It's dissuade me from trying to bother at any time of day. It's much more logical to me to just distribute them until they run out and then be done.

And I definitely don't want FP+.

I love FP. We went Tuesday. We were there at rope drop at the front, by the rope. We rode TSMM 2x, then walked right up and got FP for RSR from 4-5. We didn't wait at all for the FP. I was at DLR for 2 days. We FPed all the big rides and never waited in a line for a FP.

Sorry, but this is Disney. Disney does what it does. And I'm cool with that, but let's get this straight-- The individual customer decides nothing.

So....you're saying all the people that go to the FP machines in the morning don't actually want Fast passes and are only there because Disney wants them to be? That's much less plausible.

Then there would be people lining up at different point throughout the day instead of just the morning and if you were on another ride or eating at that time oops, you'd miss it. That's not really a more viable option. FP are always first come, first served. Why would they change RSR to be different from every other FP distribution in the parks?

Agreed. It's not. It's the cumulative effect of waiting for a the shuttle, waiting at bag check, waiting at entrance, then shoving your way to the FP line (not sure how it is usually, but Wed. it was a shove-fest) and waiting there-- all for a shot at not having to wait as long in another line. Just a little bit maddening.

You have to wait for all those other things anyway. I waited 20 minutes for a FP and had less than a 2 min wait for RSR once I made my way through the FP line. Standby was over 60 minutes. If all that waiting is maddening to you, why are you at a theme park?

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by hollyray View Post
    I hope you know that FP+ will not allow more people to ride RSR, considering it's a program based on availability, just the the current program.
    Correct, it will not alter the total number of tickets available, but it will offer them greater control of the rate of distribution as well as putting tickets that are changed back into the pool. So while it likely will not make the problem go away, it will alleviate it somewhat. They can hold back a few thousand to have on hand for people who come later in the day to still be able to get them, etc. The current FP is first come first served and if you don't use yours, no one can. So there are benefits to the FP+ system that will help.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast