Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: More details about Star Wars Land

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    A unified theme? Sure. Call it Sci-Fi Land and there's less room to complain. It's not about tomorrow anymore, and to call it something as specific as Star Wars Land is too exclusionary of other perfectly legitimate licenses that Disney fans enjoy seeing.
    I completely agree. There isn't very much about the land anymore that shows off tomorrow. Nostalgialand or Yesterdayland would be a better name. Or low density space port land.

Tatooine would actually fit all in Tomorrowland since the land has been so neglected for years. In all seriousness it seems like many people agree that Tomorrowland needs a huge update. The discussions always seem to be about how much of a renovation and what should be added/removed.

As for putting Star Wars in DCA it wouldn't be hard to make a California theme if it was some sort of Hollywood backstage or imagination type entrance. Lucasfilm is based in California so there is a connection between the Lucasfilm IPs and California.

• ^_~.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMouse View Post
    podracers meh. I'd rather have endor speeders.
    Amen! I've wanted to ride a speeder bike since I was eight years old! Endor would be a cool location in general .Of course, I'm one of the 5% that likes the Ewoks^-^

Originally Posted by calsig31
    Although the article is full of rumors, I think it's a dumb idea to lactate this in CA Adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Not just dumb, but you may need to see a doctor if you lactate that anywhere!
    Haha, beat me to it! Best forum autocorrect ever! At least I hope it's an autocorrect ;p

On a serious note, I love Star Wars, and I'd be happy with Star Wars Land. I would even be okay with putting more Star Wars into Tomorrowland (although technically Star Wars doesn't belong there, as it's set "A long time ago.") The place needs something!
    I'd prefer it in DCA, though, just because there would be more room for it. And I'd be much more inclined to go to DCA for Star Wars Land than Cars Land. I just don't understand what it is about the films that necessitated devoting an entire land to them. Maybe it's because I'm not a car person, but my reaction to the Cars Land was something like, "Really? Disney and Pixar have made so many compelling franchises with the potential for immersive lands, and this is what they're going with?" Granted, I haven't been to DCA since the revamp, so I can't judge. But I generally have to choose one park (cause I'm poor), and the Cars theme just hasn't made me want to choose DCA over Disneyland. Maybe Star Wars could do it.
    Last edited by ChaseTheDream; 05-05-2014 at 08:00 PM.

• Senior Minion

Cars was chosen primarily because it sells tons of merchandise, around a billion dollars every year. It was their best selling "boy" franchise before the Marvel and Lucas purchases. But there was also always a plan to add a desert land with an ode to the car feel though, so Cars kind of substituted for that concept quite well, even though it was primarily a business decision.

A Star Wars Land could be an even bigger draw and sells just as much, if not more, merchandise. I'd be fine with another attraction or two in TL, but I don't want it fully turned into a Star Wars Land, and I don't want to see it go in DCA at all either. It just seems silly to me to not plan on a third gate where Star Wars, Marvel and some Disney and Pixar that don't easily fit within the framework of the existing parks could be featured. But I understand the financial incentive to get more SW presence in the parks quickly, so I'd be ok with some new things in TL as long as it didn't take over.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some Marvel attractions in either of the existing parks too though. I don't think they need to be segregated into just the third gate even if they are more prominently featured there. If there are properties that fit one of the lands in the existing parks then they should be used there. Marvel has properties that fit almost any genre and could be the source of attractions that could be both based on popular IP and very original at the same time, like Indy and Star Tours.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Although the article is full of rumors, I think it's a dumb idea to lactate this in CA Adventure.
    Got milk?

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that's farthest from it."

Great idea for a land. If Disney is going to do anything more with Star Wars, 1. They should build it into it's own land (there is still a fair chunk of the old parking lot, to the east of CarsLand, and the remaining area on that corner of Katella and Harbor, if they really want to make it big), and 2. they should make it look somewhat futuristic, not like a barren, baked rock of a planet.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    "If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that's farthest from it."

Great idea for a land.
    LMAO, that's the perfect way to put it. I love the idea of adding more Star Wars to the parks, but Tatooine is the worst possible idea they could use. A barren desert??

I think the established presence of Star Tours and the Jedi Training Academy (My son got picked on Star Wars Day, btw. So stoked!) means that Tomorrowland is the inevitable landing spot for an expanded Star Wars area.

I don't think that means a complete transformation from Tomorrowland into Star Wars Land. Then you'd have to rewrite the plaque at the entrance. No, I think it will be more along the lines of "Tomorrowland: Home of the Star Wars Universe."

And yes, I know well enough that Star Wars is "a long time ago," but it has robots and spaceships and laser guns and lightspeed and lightsabers. In other words, things from OUR tomorrow. (Well, kind of our TODAY, but you get my drift.)
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

I don't think Disneyland will be the landing spot for a Star Wars land. It's much more needed over at WDW, since Marvel is off the table over there. Will there be an increased SW presence in DLR? Definitely, but I'd imagine there will be some Avengers action as well.

What about turning Tomorrowland into Starwars land, then putting Tomorrowland somewhere else?

• Done with MC.

Quote Originally Posted by flickor View Post
    What about turning Tomorrowland into Starwars land, then putting Tomorrowland somewhere else?
    You mean like Yesterland?

• terrifiednerds.com

Maybe they had better wait and see if the new Star Wars still has it, before they spend any more money. In my view, this is how the first reading of the script probably went:
    ----------------------------
    DIRECTOR: Okay—Has everybody got their scripts? Are there any questions?
    CARRIE FISHER: Uh, yes, sir—How come on page four, my lines are, “Help, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!”
    DIRECTOR: Uh… let’s face it, doll—you clowns are a lot older, now. We had to make a few adjustments.
    MARK HAMILL: Uh--I have a question, too, sir—How come my lines are, “Use the force, Luke Jr.?” Isn’t that what Obi Kenobee used to say, after he was dead?
    DIRECTOR: Uh, yeah...dead… Uh, why don’t we talk about one that a little bit later, okay, pal? Any more questions?
    HARRISON FORD: Uh, yes, sir--Exactly what page is my love scene on?
    DIRECTOR: You’re kidding me, right? --I mean-- teenage girls don’t exactly hang no pictures of their grandpas on their bedroom walls, if ya know what I’m sayin’. Let’s face it--five minutes after you guys make your appearances and the audience is done clapping and cheering, they ain’t gonna wanna be seein’ your sorry butts no more. Ya see pretty boy and that gorgeous young dish over there? That’s what they’re gonna be lookin’ at. Now if ya got a problem with it, you can get the heck out of here and go back to signing autographs at the local comic book store and the mall, comprendo? And say ‘Hi’ to Wally and Beaver for me, while you’re at it.
    CAST: Yes, sir.

There is a possibility that the Spaceport themed Star Wars area that Micechat mentioned for Tomorrowland could be true. According to Starwars7news, they say that one of their reports says that one of the sets for the movie is going to be a "whole world” having been built on an otherworldly salt lake at one location, a “shuttle-like” spacecraft, a large tower, a “big, centuries-old-looking market”, something the crew are reportedly referring to as the “alien house” and 10 to 15 “really fast buggies” powered by jet engines. Could it be that this is the design that the imagineers are using for Disneyland?

Star Wars Episode 7 News: UPDATE! Star Wars Filming to Start on May 13 in Abu Dhabi Desert Under Heavy Security?

@Algernon

That's the polar opposite of how the first script reading went.

Episode VII needs Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher, they don't need Episode VII.

Which is why Disney purchased Lucasfilm with the proviso that all three of them were signed for Episode VII. And why Harrison Ford was able to leverage getting Indiana Jones 5 made (and maybe 6 as well) as part of his deal.

Quote Originally Posted by joshteevee View Post
    I think the established presence of Star Tours and the Jedi Training Academy (My son got picked on Star Wars Day, btw. So stoked!) means that Tomorrowland is the inevitable landing spot for an expanded Star Wars area.

I don't think that means a complete transformation from Tomorrowland into Star Wars Land. Then you'd have to rewrite the plaque at the entrance. No, I think it will be more along the lines of "Tomorrowland: Home of the Star Wars Universe."

And yes, I know well enough that Star Wars is "a long time ago," but it has robots and spaceships and laser guns and lightspeed and lightsabers. In other words, things from OUR tomorrow. (Well, kind of our TODAY, but you get my drift.)
    It's actually one of the biggest misnomers that Star Wars takes place "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" from our vantage point as the human audience.

Star Wars is actually a story being told by a droid in the future; it might be C3PO recounting the tale to the ewoks, actually, at the end of Return of the Jedi.

The "a long time ago..." part is not meant to mean for us movie watchers that it happened a long time ago before human history. It is a storytelling device, with the narrator droid telling what happened in the Skywalker saga at some point in the future when the saga is over.

I kind of think that C3P0 is the one doing the narration because of that scene at the end of Jedi where he tells the Star Wars story to the ewoks around the fire. Remember that? Picture C3P0 doing that in the future, telling the full story. That's what "a long time ago" refers to...it's said in C3P0's voice as he recounts the tale.

It was not meant to mean all this takes place in Earth's past.

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    That's because a "Star Wars Land" in DCA makes no sense themeatically; while it's a semi-natural fit in Tomorrowland (and we know it's been discussed internally).
    I don't think it's accurate to talk about DCA's "theme" anymore. The "theme" of it being "themed" to California stuff is long gone. That's not the focus anymore. At one time in the 1990s, Banana Republic used to sell clothes that were safari-inspired, like Indiana Jones would shop there. They haven't done that in years, so it would be silly to shout "That's not your theme! Get more safari clothes!" at Banana Republic employees every time you pass them in the mall.

Same thing with DCA. The emphasis over there is less on the California and more on the "Adventure" part. I think that the "California" side of things is the entrance, where it is themed to be like Walt Disney's 1920s world on Buena Vista Street...and then down the boulevard to the Tower of Terror Hotel. That's really it. The rest of it I think is either in the process of evolving or has evolved away from being a strict "California" theme.

Star Wars fits in my mind because Lucas Arts was a California-based company. Star Wars would be great for DCA because it is clearly an ADVENTURE property. Have the entrance to Star Wars Land have an archway of some kind that pays homage to Lucasfilm...and maybe a little exhibit on Lucas and the Star Wars movies like they have the Walt Disney story at DHS in Orlando. Make it a little museum kind of area similar to Blue Sky Cellar and maybe have revolving exhibits on George Lucas...who was a California native and pioneer in his field.

Then, beyond this entryway, show us the world that George Lucas created. The world of Star Wars. That fits perfectly in DCA in my opinion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast