Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Roving Pirate Band: Just one of the touches that makes DL so magical!

As the temperature pushed 100 degrees last Wednesday, my family and I made our way to the back alleys of New Orleans Square to find a shaded bench to rest and recoup. I've always loved that area of NOS and was hoping to find a bench near that little courtyard that also serves as a cast backstage passage. To my dismay, everything was walled off and covered in fabric (why, by the way?). We did find a nice bench, though, near the glass shop with nobody else around.

Just as I was lamenting the fact that everything is walled off, a roving pirate band walked into the alley and started playing and interacting with my small kids. People paused here and there as they walked through the area, but essentially this band played a 15-20 minute concert just for my family of 5.

The head pirate was a tall guy, booming bass voice. He'd pull tricks on the rare passer-by. He even swiped a woman's purse during a song. She walked a good 20 feet before she noticed. When my 5 year old started tapping a stick against the pavement in rhythm with the band, this pirate encouraged him and thanked him as their "guest percussionist." When my wife failed to clap during a certain song, the entire band stopped, walked close to her, and waited until she complied before continuing. The whole thing was hilarious and improvised. A lot like The Billy's used to be (and presumably still are, over at Knott's). In fact, I recognized at least one of them as Billy Bass from the majority of Hillbillies shows I've seen over the years.

The whole time I kept wondering why this band was taking so much time, in full character, to play for 5 people in a remote NOS corner. Not even onlookers would have seen them; just people walking from the shops to the bathrooms. It was our last day at DL. We've got small kids. It was hot and we were beat. That little performance perked us right up and set us up for a wonderful rest of the day. I'm sure the little ones won't soon forget it. Just one of those many little things that make DL so magical!

Anybody else seen this roving pirate band? Do they have a name (official or unofficial)? Can anybody identify their leader (guy with the booming bass voice)? Do more than one come from the Billy Hill rotation?

• formerly very helpful

Re: Roving Pirate Band: Just one of the touches that makes DL so magical!

I don't know about is specific group of performers, but definitely the live entertainment that pops up "spontaneously" is a major contributor to the magic. It just helps bring he whole place alive. I know they seemed to have increased the live entertainment in DCA? I hope is is a trend that continues in both parks.

• Resident Adventurer

I've seen the Pirate Band a number of times and it's always nice to sit and watch them play.

*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧ Time until next Disney trip: *✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧
    ???

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

They are the Bootstrappers, and have been New Orleans Square regulars since 2006 or so in my memory - the Tom Sawyer Island re-do to Pirate's Lair opened is when they first showed up. The performing members switch up from day to day, and can be any number of them out from 4 to 6 musicians, in different combinations. They are quite talented and fun to watch, always seek them out myself if in the park at least once to watch a set.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    They are the Bootstrappers, and have been New Orleans Square regulars since 2006 or so in my memory - the Tom Sawyer Island re-do to Pirate's Lair opened is when they first showed up. The performing members switch up from day to day, and can be any number of them out from 4 to 6 musicians, in different combinations. They are quite talented and fun to watch, always seek them out myself if in the park at least once to watch a set.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. The Bootstrappers are always a good time and I'm glad they brightened your day, JunglebumCT.

Oh and the construction walls are for Club 33 which is down for rehab right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT View Post
    As the temperature pushed 100 degrees last Wednesday, my family and I made our way to the back alleys of New Orleans Square to find a shaded bench to rest and recoup. I've always loved that area of NOS and was hoping to find a bench near that little courtyard that also serves as a cast backstage passage. To my dismay, everything was walled off and covered in fabric (why, by the way?). We did find a nice bench, though, near the glass shop with nobody else around.

Just as I was lamenting the fact that everything is walled off, a roving pirate band walked into the alley and started playing and interacting with my small kids. People paused here and there as they walked through the area, but essentially this band played a 15-20 minute concert just for my family of 5.

The head pirate was a tall guy, booming bass voice. He'd pull tricks on the rare passer-by. He even swiped a woman's purse during a song. She walked a good 20 feet before she noticed. When my 5 year old started tapping a stick against the pavement in rhythm with the band, this pirate encouraged him and thanked him as their "guest percussionist." When my wife failed to clap during a certain song, the entire band stopped, walked close to her, and waited until she complied before continuing. The whole thing was hilarious and improvised. A lot like The Billy's used to be (and presumably still are, over at Knott's). In fact, I recognized at least one of them as Billy Bass from the majority of Hillbillies shows I've seen over the years.

The whole time I kept wondering why this band was taking so much time, in full character, to play for 5 people in a remote NOS corner. Not even onlookers would have seen them; just people walking from the shops to the bathrooms. It was our last day at DL. We've got small kids. It was hot and we were beat. That little performance perked us right up and set us up for a wonderful rest of the day. I'm sure the little ones won't soon forget it. Just one of those many little things that make DL so magical!

Anybody else seen this roving pirate band? Do they have a name (official or unofficial)? Can anybody identify their leader (guy with the booming bass voice)? Do more than one come from the Billy Hill rotation?
    The Court of Angels is no longer open to the public because it has been taken over for Club 33 renovations.
    The Court of Angels - New Orleans Square Disneyland
    I dislike club 33
    Yes, the Bootstrappers regularly play in that area, but I don't know any of their names.
    Name:  Bootstrappers.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  217.5 KB

• Former Churro Jockey

I always found New Orleans Square to be the best place for discovering random live music that just seems to spontaneouly appear. My favorite back in my day were the Side Street Strutters, as well as the man with the saxaphone who passed away a few years ago.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• formerly very helpful

There's nothing quite like good Dixieland Jazz in New Orleans Square!

• Disneyland Dreamer

Anybody seen this band?

I was going to have my wife do a hand painting of it (She's a fine artist/photographer by schooling).

Always enjoy the pirate band! Last time we were there, one of them grabbed my arm and took me for a dance. It was fun!

The Bootstrappers have released an album under the name of, "The Skullduggers". Artists that perform on Disney property can't use the name given them by Disney if they want to do any outside recording. Anyways, the album, which I got off of itunes is great.

By the way, Jon Walmsley, who used to play the very talented Jason on the old TV series The Waltons, plays guitar with them quite frequently.

Interesting. I think Jon Walmsley may have been playing guitar when they played for us on Wednesday. Looks like he was also the voice of Christopher Robin. When I get home I'll post a pic. Incidentally, I don't recognize any of the guys from Wednesday in any of The Bootstrappers pics posted above.

• Dreaming of next trip

I think the lead that you are talking about the the one if the photo below. He is the one in the brown vest. I saw him walk up to some one while singing and when he walked away he showed something that he had "picked up". The expression on the guest face when they realized it was theirs was great, they all had a lot of fun.
    I do not know his name but he is my favorite of the band. When someone wanted a photo with him he said "whiskey" and I called out you mean rum. He said rum only makes you smile after you drink it.
    Everyone should take the time to listen to the pirate bands they are great and they interact with the audience.

Mouseknotts, yes! Same leader and guitarist as we saw. Both are excellent performers.

• Dreaming of next trip

I thought that was him, you did such a good job of describing his interaction with the guests.
    All of the Bootstrappers are great but he remains my favorite.
    The small pop up groups that can be found in DL and DCA really help to make the magic.
    And all of them are very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast