Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Rob's 5th Annual "How NOT to win the Gumball Rally" TR

awesome - thanks for sharing for those that can't be there!!
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Proud owner: 50th Tiki

So, we left off with two rides completed and one bathroom break. For those of you who could not participate in the rally, we had to find how many starfish were in the hair of the read-headed mermaid at the end of Pan (3) and how many teeth the dragon in the "hell scene" of Mr Toad has (8).

Our next stop was Casey Jr. As we walked up I noticed that this was the longest line I have ever seen for this ride. We ran into one team who was nearly at the back side of Dumbo waiting for Casey Jr:

Casey Jr posed an interesting dilemma for teams who were actually racing to win. The line was super long, Disney (in all of their wisdom) was only running one train on a busy weekend, and unknown until we got towards the front of the line was the fact that there was a new CM training to work the ride. She was having a heck of a time working the latches that hold the "monkey" car doors closed, so that was making the single-train concept even more rediculous. Anyway, this was only a 2 point ride, but the wait was more indicative of a 3-4 point ride. As we waited in line (and waited, and waited, and waited) we saw the "Up" team riding Dumbo:

As we waited (did I mention the long line for Casey Jr) we saw other teams in line and walking by:

We spotted this team confidently headed towards the Big Thunder Ranch area from Fantasyland. Less than 30 seconds later, they made a quick u-turn and just as confidently headed off towards the Tea Cups. It was a little bit of humor in the long line:

For those of you interested, we were asked to see, from the view from the train, if every windmill in Storybook Land had a window on the back (false):

Next up was Pinocchio, where we were tasked the color of the curtains on the window to the left as you enter the very first scene. I'll be honest, I had never even noticed that there was a painted window on the wall there. Anyway, the curtains were blue.

After that we walked over to Snow White, where we found more rally teams in line. On Snow White we were asked what animal is directly at the feet of Snow White. I guessed it was a turtle before we went on the ride.....it was a squirrel.

Next up was Sleeping Beauty Castle, where we learned that there are 5 candles in the candelabra next to a very tired Sleeping Beauty:

Our next planned stop was the Tea Cups. Along the way we ran into a guy who seemed very "fishy" to me:

Also saw these guys along the way:

On the Tea Cups we had to experiment to see if it was possible to spin the cups in both directions during one ride sequence. We already knew the answer to this (yes), but we rode the ride anyway. While waiting in line I took this photo:

By now it was around 11:30, and there was no way we were missing the big noon photo in front of the castle. We made our way towards the castle and ran into:

Coming up: THERE you are! I Hear that! Look at all these teams with the same last-minute idea!

• President of the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by RPDigger View Post
    Also saw these guys along the way:

Cool, you caught team It Came From the Briar Patch in action! Cool to see our picture in someone else's trip report.

I was hoping to do a TR as well, but we lost our camera within 10 minutes of the start of the Rally. The case in the picture was empty by the time this phone was taken. Happily Disneyland found it and we got it back by Sunday afternoon which was awesome, but still bummed we didn't have it during the rally itself (at least we got some pictures from the Pasta dinner & ESPN breakfast!)

Thanks so much for your report and fantastic photos! My daughter and I have done all the rallies since 2006 and have never won or placed! And we always tried very hard to at least place, despite being plaqued with numerous health issues over the years! I know that Dusty believes we are in only for the fun(and we do have fun!!) but really, we have been crushed that we did not place at all in previous years when we thought we did well! This year was particularly hard...5 months ago I had a very bad R.A. flair up, in which I could not even walk..So I was very happy we were even able to participate, though I know this year had to be our lowest scores ever. It would be nice if we could get our packets back to see what we got right or wrong though. Also, my daughter worked so hard designing our shirts (for the first time!) that I wanted to do good for her....To Todd and Norm, so sorry we did not say goodbye at the after party. Despite our set backs, we still had a good time. Thanks to you both and Michelle for all your hard work.

We left off with 30 minutes to go before the big noon photo. Since it was worth 15 points, nobody wanted to miss it. We figured we did not have enough time to go on any rides before the photo, but we did have time to answer a couple of quick questions in Tomorrowland. We first went to Starcade to play the free version of "Fix-it-Felix". We saw 4 people on the game screen
    saying "Fix-it-Felix".

While in Starcade we ran into a couple of teams - one of which should have heard anyone saying "Fix-it-Felix" from a long way away:

The rest of my team getting the answer:

Now, last year we met a couple of young ladies who were incredibly fun and very sweet. I didn't see them at the breakfast, and had not seen them so far in this year's race.....until they too showed up at Starcade right before the noon photo.....There you are!

After Starcade, we made our way to the Astro Orbiter. This year the crew put a twist on a couple of rides by saying that you did not have to ride the attraction to get the answer, and Astro Orbiter was one of those rides. By now it was about 11:45, and several teams had the same idea as us: pick up a couple of quick points right before the noon photo:

At the base of Astro Orbiter there are several symbols. The question this year was to list, in order, how the symbols were arranged. After we got our answer, we headed over to the Castle for the noon photo! Tons of teams were there relaxing, refueling, and socializing:

Why, even my pal Matt was there.....

There were even some tricks performed.....

Soon enough, it was time to start getting in place for the photo. We wound up in the 4th row center (the crouched group right behind the last row of seated teams). From this vantage point I could not get many photos, but I got these:

Dusty set up the photo, a few shots were taken, then the mad rush was on to get a sticker to show that you were there for the photo (you also had to get a ticket right before the photo to show that you were there on time). Only one member from each team was allowed to get a sticker, and it was still a chaotic scene:

After the photo we followed a few teams in to Frontierland to pick up some quick points. First stop, the shooting gallery:

Next up was the Golden Horseshoe, where we counted horns along the balcony. I counted 13 and ran into this team on the way out:

Next, we took a little grand circle tour of Disneyland starting at the New Orleans Square Station. Saw a few teams along the way and took some photos of a couple of the answers:

The letters are white and yellow:

3 boxes had "fireworks" written on them:

After riding the railroad, we decided to get some Big Thunder Mountain fastpasses before lunch. We were not the only ones with lunch on our minds:

For the past couple of years, Regan and I have taken a long lunch break at the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. This year, because of very poor service, that lunch was even longer than expected. We did run into a few teams while hanging out at the ranch:

After a 90+ minute lunch (don't take a hour and a half lunch if you want to win the rally) we quickly made our way to Big Thunder Mountain and ran into one of everybody's favorite teams along the way:

We made our fastpass time with less than a minute remaining before they expired. The question on this ride went by super fast, and I honestly can't remember what we answered for this one (I hate this ride, it gives me a headache every time, so I wasn't paying very close attention). As we got off of the ride, we ran into Matt and Cabrina again.....

Coming up tomorrow, the big finish!

Before I call it a night, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has been following along and leaving such wonderful comments!!!!!!

• Disney Obsessed

Yay we made it in the report again!!! I see a lot of top ten teams in your photos so looks like you're always on the right track! One day you two will make it!

And I also see a lot of the fantastic teams Kandice and I met this year in your photos!! Everyone was just so nice this year! I've only done two rallies so far but this was the best!

•   
    • Is it rally time yet?

Great trip report! I can't wait to see the rest
    ~ Katie ~
    My Gumball Rally teams:
    2014 - We Are The Ones Who Rally
    2013 - The Jawawockeez
    2012 - Why is the Rum Gone?

• D'land Visitor since '57

Having a great time following along with your trip report. It's almost like I was really there!!

(Wait a minute ... I WAS!!)
    Proud member of Team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Gumball Rally Team Spirit Award.

Quote Originally Posted by RPDigger View Post
    After the photo we followed a few teams in to Frontierland to pick up some quick points. First stop, the shooting gallery:

Aha! You caught us! (Rest In Peace, Billy Jack). We were on our way to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad right after this, followed by lunch on the Mark Twain (pre-packed sandwiches). Reading your past trip reports in anticipation of our first rally, we knew that several teams would be heading towards the Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue soon for their traditional Gumball Rally BBQ lunch, and we were mighty tempted to join you.

Speaking of traditions, congratulations on winning the "Traditions" award! And thank you for posting these wonderful trip reports-- they are a joy to read.

Well gang, this is it.....the push to the finish line.

After riding Big Thunder, we headed over to the Haunted Mansion, where we saw this team already in line:

The Haunted Mansion question had to do with a ghost playing a piano in the attic scene. This was another one of those questions which made me look for something I had never noticed before. How many lit candles were on his piano? 2.

After HM we took a quick trip up a tree house, then took a nice cool break in the Tiki Room. I was very happy to see that this year's Tiki Room question did not have anything to do with lyrics. In years past we have had a heck of a time understanding the last words spoken by certain birds.....they don't speak that clearly in my opinion. We diligently kept an eye on the water fountain to see if it constantly flowed, or stopped, or something in between.

Next up was Buzz Lightyear, where the answer to the question was fairly difficult to see if you were not paying close attention. According to my "old guy" eyes, the receipt at the end of the ride was from department 23. We also spotted another team on Buzz:

Since it wasn't too far away, we walked over to the Monorail and took a little spin around the park. We had a hard time with the air conditioner question. We could clearly see 3 boxes on top of the Lego store, but I don't know how many of them were AC units. Since 2 looked completely different from the 3rd, and since 2 was not an answer, we chose 1. I think this is one of those questions where either 3 or 1 should not have been answers so teams did not have to know a lot about AC units and what they look like. The other question, about the height sign on the back side of the House of Blues was very easy to see. Anyway, while on the Monorail I took this shot:

After monorail we headed over to Autopia - we were not alone:

The answer to the Autopia question? "Rusted nuts have never tasted so good":

Since we still had some time to kill before the end of the rally (especially since there were no extra points for turning in your score card early this year), we headed over to Captain EO. Ran into another team there:

It was around 6:15 by the time we got out of Captain EO. I knew that a lot of teams would be grabbing some last-minute points on Main Street, and we decided to do the same. Our first stop was in the Main Street Cinema, where there were a few teams watching one of the old cartoons patiently waiting for a license plate:

Next up was the Disney Gallery, where we counted chandeliers (and other teams dong the same):

Most of the teams in the Gallery had the same idea: Watch Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, then sprint....um, walk.....to the finish line. We asked the CM working the attraction what time it would let out, and she said sometime between 6:55 and 7. We did not want to take a shot at being late over a 2-point question, so we decided to just head on over to the finish line. Dumb luck struck us as the Soundsational Parade just started as we walked out of the Gallery. I asked a CM how long that parade lasted, and was told it was 10 minutes. Since we had about 20 minutes before the cards were due, we hung out and watched the parade. Another team had the same idea:

This was one of the "mini-quests" for this year's rally. All of the questions appeared to be in order, so we only read one at a time and then answered it. That worked pretty well, until we got to the 3rd question, which asked what the 10th fully costumed character was. D-Oh! We tried to remember how many we had already seen, and took an educated guess at the answer. The final question was the hardest.....what was the color of the star hanging from the moon? We could not tell, so we followed along for a bit to see if different lighting would make it more clear. This team was having a hard time telling too:

We wound up going with "blue", but it could have just as easily been white or maybe even clear (all of which were possible answers).

After the parade it was off to the finish line with a couple minutes to spare. We added up all of our points and came up with 64. I don't know if we got credit for all of them (with the whole AC question, star question, and Big Thunder question going by so quickly), but we really did score 64. We turned in our card and got some photos of other teams finishing:

It wasn't long before the Micechat crew stopped accepting score sheets and wondered off to the secret grading area. A few teams hung out at La Brea Bakery and had some dinner, other teams headed off towards the Ho Jo, or Downtown Disney......it all seemed to end so quickly.

This year we attended the awards party and were given the "Traditions" award. Michelle had told me they were going to do something for Regan, but I never suspected that I would be included. It was truly an honor to be recognized. Since we won the Traditions award, I thought I would end this Rally TR by mentioning what a few of our Rally traditions are:

1) Obviously, attending the Rally. Regan is 10 now, and this is her 5th rally. It seems like yesterday when she was an easily-tired 5 year old competing in the Family Division of the Rally way-back-when.

2) We start every Rally in Fantasyland. Initially we started there because Regan was so young in her first rally, and most of the rides she would go on were in Fantasyland. Now, it is because I really enjoy seeing all of the other teams there and taking photos of them. It is also nice riding the Fastasyland rides because it is one of the few times my "big-girl now" 10 year old doesn't complain about missing out on the more exciting rides.

3) We always take a long lunch.....the last 3 years at big Thunder BBQ (sometimes in Blue Bayou). Again, we had to initially take a long break because of Regan. Now it is because I'm just not ready to try to win the rally.....I enjoy casually riding a few of the rides and taking photos of the other teams in action. Knowing we are taking the long lunch, and thus eliminating ourselves from placing anywhere near the top 50, keeps the competitive nature in check.

4) Posting a Rally TR. I know a lot of the teams are doing their best to win, and might not have the time to take a lot of photos - so I take a ton and post them here.

I would like to end this report with a big "thank you" to Michelle. Every year she calls a week or so before the Rally and is always so excited for the big day. This year she made extra copies of the team cards and handed them out to the younger Rally participants. She also scored us an extra one of those very cool pens - I hope we get those again next year!

So, to Michelle and all of the Micechat crew who work so hard so that the rest of us can just ride attractions and circle some answers THANK YOU!!!!

• I Heart DL!

Once again AWESOME trip report! Thank you for posting and taking so many pictures! See you guys next year!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I spy the Communicore Weekly dingbats.... errrmmmm.... guys in one of those photos!

• Joe Flowers

Great recap of the day and that group photo in front of the castle was a great idea on the organizer's part.

Sadly my team wasn't up for it this year. Anyone know when the next half rally is?

[QUOTE=RPDigger;1057113497]Well gang, this is it.....the push to the finish line.

After riding Big Thunder, we headed over to the Haunted Mansion, where we saw this team already in line:

Hey I know those people! Oh wait that's us! Had a great time doing this. It was our first run. Hoping to find out how we did soon. Were they going to post the results soon?

• formerly very helpful

Great trip report. One of these years I'll give the Gumball Rally a try.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast