Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Proud owner: 50th Tiki

Rob's 5th Annual "How NOT to win the Gumball Rally" TR

Hey Howdy Hey,

This year my daughter and I competed in our 5th version of the Gumball Rally, this time with two brand new players joining our team. As in years past, one of my favorite parts of the rally is capturing photos of all of the other teams. In this TR I would like to share the photos of other teams in action, as well as provide blow-by-blow details of how NOT to win the Rally....

Our rally day started bright and early by pulling into (what we thought was) the Simba parking lot. I normally don't park when we visit, so I am not at all familiar with the lots.....anyway, it turns out we were trying to enter the cast parking portion of the Simba lot. When we informed the CM working the entry shack that we were there for the rally, she sent us packing to the Mickey and Friends lot. It would have been so nice of her to just direct us to the Simba lot on the other side of a chain link fence, but that is another story. So, after a panicked call to Mamabot about where to park, off we drove to the closed Mickey and Friends lot. At Mickey and Friends we encountered a very helpful CM who directed us to the proper Simba lot. Turns out there were a few of us lost as there was a mini-caravan of rally teams who followed our u-turn out of Mickey and Friends and into Simba.

After parking we made our way to check in:

My buddy Matt, who was on our team last year, was already in line with his girlfriend Cabrina....they are in the white shirts:

After checking in, we made our way to the end of a pretty long line leading into the ESPN Zone:

We were not in this line too long before Dusty came along and moved everyone to the north side of the ESPN zone....our horseshoe shaped line was blocking something and making somebody mad.....

Everyone in line seemed pretty fixated on the tip sheet this year....what could be up with that????

Hmmmm, I better take a look at this thing. Well, lets see...no running, obey park rules, blah blah blah.....wait, WHAT?!?! Noon photo? Mini Quests? No matter how many rallys you have "run", you have to hand it to Dusty and the crew - they always come up with new twists.

We eventually made our way to the front of the line, had our team photo taken "In case we win the rally" (yeah, right!), and met Matt and Cabrina for breakfast. Would this be the last time today that we saw so many rally teams in one spot?

It wasn't long before Dusty was giving his yearly talk to team captains:

As Dusty spoke, there was a slide show playing from last year's rally. One team in particular looked amazingly fabulous in the background as Dusty laid down the law:

Not long after that the official rally packets arrived, and the mad scramble to get your hands on this year's questions began.

Coming up......the race to the park.......

• I Heart DL!

Re: Rob's 5th Annual "How NOT to win the Gumball Rally" TR

Yay! We loved your trip report last year and we were SO HAPPY you guys got the "Traditions" award this year! You probably heard us cheering from the audience can't wait to read the rest!

• Indiana Scott

I'll never get to do the rally so these reports are a big treat!
    Thanks so much for posting.

Exciting! Can't wait for the rest. What's your team name?

• Disney Obsessed

They were dead men blow no bubbles!!! One of our favorite teams

• Proud owner: 50th Tiki

So we left off with everyone rushing forward to get their official Rally Question Packet.....

After the captains got a packet, all the teams were off to the races......well.....MOST of the teams were off to the races:

For a team who never has any hope of placing in the top 50, we always seem to make it through the security check points quickly, leaving other teams in our dust:

This was the only time during the day we were near the lead. As we made our way towards Fantasyland, hopes were high as we ran into other teams along the way:

The master-plan this year was the same as every year.....hit Peter Pan first thing and then ride all of the Fantasyland rides. As we approached Pan we saw almost nobody in line......Perfect! Uh, wait a minute.....nobody at all in line. This can't be good. Yup, first thing in the morning and we have hit our first hiccup, Pan is down. The next hiccup immediately followed when my daughter announced that she had to go to the bathroom. Off we went to our first "ride of the day" the Fantasyland Porcelain Princess.

After a quick potty stop we noticed Pan was up and running. Unfortunately, so had many other teams, and they were almost all in front of us.....

The Big-Man refused to smile for my photo......(we shall see about that!):

Saw this very cool accessory on the lanyards of an "Up" themed team:

YEAH, that's what I thought.......but a big guy on Pan and he can't help but crack a little smile....

More teams waiting for Pan:

NOT in line for Pan, but spotted from the line......making sure nobody cheated on the Carousel question I assume........

After Pan it was a quick right hand turn to Mr. Toad. Of course, there were more rally teams there:

Is it just me, or would the guy in line behind this rally team make a real cool meme? :

Coming up tomorrow night - "The Casey Jr Fiasco!".......until tomorrow........

I remember your tr from last year!

• formerly very helpful

Lots of fun! Can't wait to see more!

• Foolish Mortal

i need moooooar!!!!!

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Loving your trip report!

• #bringevilback

Loving it! Can't wait for more!

• MargyDisneylandLover

Yay I love the picture of my team walking down main street
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

• Tourist

Looking at these great photos, it's obvious that all the participants are having a lot of fun.

So I've just added a future Gumball Rally to my bucket list.

• Insert Hilarious Title

So sad we missed the Rally this year, Hopefully, next year, we can participate again.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• waitin' to board

Great TR so far......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast